DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I've always loved board games... had a huge collection of them as a child. Then when I moved out of my parents, I sold all of them except a few. After a friend showed me Settlers of Catan, I got right back in to collecting board games. I'm really enjoying these (euro-style) strategy heavy board games, ones where there is very little luck involved. My collection currently includes: Agricola, Power Grid, Dominion, Ticket To Ride, Steam: Rails to Riches, Settlers of Catan, lots of smaller (read: quick to play) dice/card games and more. I do also have a copy of Monopoly (the world version w/ electronic scoring), but to be honest it's almost never played (twice in the 3 years I've owned it, was gifted) as it's really not that interesting of a game to me (too much luck with the dice rolling involved). I also have a growing list on boardgamegeek.com (also user: DjFIL) of games I'm interested in purchasing in the future. Next will be Blood Bowl (a classic games workshop game) or Memoir '44 (said to be the best war simulation). So, does gbatemp play board games? And if so what are your favorites?

user0002

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Not anymore, but I used to play monopoly with a friend about 13-16 years ago. I do have monopoly, chess, and chinese chess as board games.

EDIT: Not chinese chess, but chinese checkers. Got a mix up because it's called chinese chess in my language.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I use to, that is, until video games took over my life
gba.gif

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the right group of friends, board games are absolutely great. I played cranium at a party with one of my old friends a few weeks back and we had a blast playing it with two other people. But then again, I had just as much fun playing mario tennis with a different group last week. It went from a nice game to a screaming match in less than 2 minutes.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friends and I tried to play Monopoly a couple years back.
Four hours later we decided it was a horrible idea and never played again.
(We get a little over-competitive)

Centimetro

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
yes, I love board games. Used to play a lot of dungeon crawlers and strategy games as a kid, but now I dont reaklly have anyone to play with. But I still own quite a few and would like to find others who like board games

DjFIL

OP
Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I am thankful that both my family (parents when i visit them for dinner [live in same town] and other family members when in town), my group of friends and now my girlfriend all enjoy (or are at least willing) to play board games with me, even the ones that are heavy on the rules and with big learning curve.

Family favorite right now I'd say is Power Grid. It's an amazing strategy game with lots of twists. You bid (actively against all players) on buying power plants. Then you buy (in reverse order, of current rounds standings) resources to power your power plant, you are allowed to store double of what your plant can use in one turn... so early buyers can drive up prices for the opponents. Then you build cities to power across america (or there's a german map on the back side). Then power the cities with your power plants and resources you bought to make money. There is next to no luck involved in the game, except the order power plant cards (some have better efficiency, and some are 'free energy' like wind) are drawn and introduced in to the market (the group of power plants available to bid on). It's a great game, and very well balanced so at the end of the game it's usually a very close out come.

But I'm now searching for games that are better for two players (like Blood Bowl and/or Memoir 44) so I can play just against my girlfriend or one friend when I can't get a group together (as most of my games currently play best with 3 or more players). Only good two player games I have are Scrabble (a travel version), Cribbage (like to play classic card games too) & Dominion (amazing card game).

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Settlers of Catan is my favorite board game at the moment.
I will never stop playing board games, because everyone is willing to participate in them. My parents won't even touch my Wii, they think the devil is inside it
wacko.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no siblings, and no one ever goes to my house. Sometimes, I crack my box of Monopoly open, and just set it up... all lonely except with me.

Sigh... I'm a lonely person.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nTzbgDGWM