The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can totally help anyone with math, lets just say it's my job
happy.gif

Functions are awesome, there is a whole lot more meaning to functions that isn't really mentioned unless you take discreet mathematics or upper division abstract algebra though
frown.gif

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
Zetta_x said:
I am a mathematician, I have spent the last 4-5 years studying mathematics and am close to a graduate math student.

As an electrical engineer, I spent a good 6-7 years learning more maths than mathematics students through university (both prior and subsequently) - followed by using it heavily in the (eek!) 18 years since I graduated.

By consequence of doing all that, I've developed a finely tuned brain that allows me to calculate conversion from metric to imperial measure, between currencies, splits bills & the tax payable mentally... the better half hates it
unsure.gif

DJ Hobo

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I do like maths (no, that's not a grammar error; we call it "maths" over here). I like complex numbers and aspects of calculus, in particular. Not a big fan of matrices, though.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad I am in a community that has members who like mathematics.

Using hunnymonster's post as an example, mathematics offers a vary of skills which can be utilized with the right amount of effort
happy.gif

DJ Hobo, if you want to see a combination of calculus and complex numbers. I have just finished a sequence of Complex Variable Analysis. That class is amazing you can finally extend calculus to the field of complex numbers and so much more can be proved when you work in the field of complex numbers and claim the real numbers are included in the complex field. Wouldn't recommend linear algebra if you hate matrices muhahaha lol.

That's interesting xalphax, what do you want to major in?

Thanks everyone else for the welcome!

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
i like maths, i work way ahead at maths in school and i will goto university to do a masters degree and then a PhD (and yes i find maths very very easy)

p.s. the most geeky thread on GBAtemp.net

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could imagine by your name that you enjoy math! I am at work right now, I decided to wear a big blue shirt that has the big pi symbol on it made up by 3000 of it's digits
smile.gif

If you don't mind me asking, how far are you in your math career?

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Welcome Z!
I hate math. I'm good at it, but I hate it LOL. I think I like it self-consiously...
And about the "fix viruses at 10-12" thing, me too
biggrin.gif

So yeah. WELCOME!

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crazzy1 said:
Welcome Z!
I hate math. I'm good at it, but I hate it LOL. I think I like it self-consiously...
And about the "fix viruses at 10-12" thing, me too
biggrin.gif

So yeah. WELCOME!

My mom let her children use a computer that had Windows 95 installed on the operating system. One day it was going so slow it was it had no use. My mom suggested it was viruses (given my age I had no idea what it was). When the scan was finally done, we had at least a couple dozen distinct viruses roaming about. Half at which was removed, the other half of which had to manually be removed. My mom taught me the things I should look for and why the anti-virus software was not able to remove them. I was like 10 or 12 and it revolutionized my life lol. Today, I'll go to a friends house and if they have any computer problems (slowing down) it only takes a couple minutes to analyze the behavior of their system and pinpoint what is the problem. In most cases it's a matter of the use of task manager and msconfig to deactivate viruses in windows, in rare cases some malware attach themselves to critical programs which make even safe mode ineffective to removing such files in which the registry is the best way to inactivate line of coding. I love technology
smile.gif

Anaxs, you should take a few courses in abstract algebra. It's not too boring because it has almost nothing to do with calculations, just definitions of certain things and abstract examples of math!

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Zetta_x said:
If you don't mind me asking, how far are you in your math career?
not at all

its hard to say, i just turned 15 and im doing degree work (but i do no formal tests anymore) but since i dont get tests i focus on stuff i like calculus mainly.
but im fascinated by pi, i like to study the ways pi can be found.

alot of people think im talking bullshit when i tell them about my maths "skills"

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny because it doesn't take a mathematician to know that it is possible to do calculus at 15. Calculus is fairly simple stuff mechanical wise, the algebra in calculus can be a bit more challenging at times. Pi and e are amazing numbers lol.

WigWrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you studied chaos theory at all? (fractals, stability of large scale systems?)
Want to know if its worth taking as a class some day.

Tetram

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Pi, e, Euler's Gamma, all those non algebric nombers are fun, but when you get used to math, you realise that they are not that special... Actually, most of the numbers are like those, and N, Z, Q and the algebrical numbers are just particular cases...

Oh, and yeah, I love math a lot. I'm a mathematic teacher and have a PHD in financial mathematic (but I'm not a fan of finance : i've quit in order to devote myself in teaching in College)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night