• Total voters

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Up until this point my answer had been 'yes', but in the midst of a move I've come to notice how much space they take up and am having second thoughts about whether or not to keep them.

Let's take it a step further too; do you keep console boxes?

For both questions, explain why or why not.

My opinions on why to keep them:
  • They look nice on a shelf collection
  • The game's resale value is a lot higher if it's still got the box
Why to get rid of them:
  • Clutter
  • Can live without them
  • My closet should not be a space to house all potential commercial goods
You could argue that the last 3 are one and the same; I just used additional bullet points to develop the same idea.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
  • They look nice on a shelf collection
  • The game's resale value is a lot higher if it's still got the box

Exactly that.
Don't throw them away, just pack them in a couple of extra boxes.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Deleted-379826

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tend to keep the box if its a game that i'm very fond of, like from the mario series and what not. As for other games that I don't play as much I have a tendency to lose/throw out the extra packaging XD.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep them because they help protect the game. I have three sisters and grew up in a house where there's a stack of scratched-up dvd's on top of the dvd player. To this day between me, my mom, and my three sisters; we all have a handful of DVD cases with not DVD and DVDs with no cases. If we got together in time we could've sorted it out, but I suspect many have been tossed by now.

That being said, a year after I gout my launch-day Wii U I actually stated selling all of my games to convert to full digital. With Nintendo Land FINALLY back in the eShop (and with a bunch of Wii and Gamecube games on my SD card) I'm now fully digital. I sorta regret selling my DSTWO but many of the games I played are now on the Wii U.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep them because they help protect the game. I have three sisters and grew up in a house where there's a stack of scratched-up dvd's on top of the dvd player. To this day between me, my mom, and my three sisters; we all have a handful of DVD cases with not DVD and DVDs with no cases. If we got together in time we could've sorted it out, but I suspect many have been tossed by now.

That being said, a year after I gout my launch-day Wii U I actually stated selling all of my games to convert to full digital. With Nintendo Land FINALLY back in the eShop (and with a bunch of Wii and Gamecube games on my SD card) I'm now fully digital. I sorta regret selling my DSTWO but many of the games I played are now on the Wii U.

On the subject of kids and games, I make sure whenever my nephew (age 9) gets a game from me (as a gift or whatever), before I even give it to him, I back it up and he's not allowed to use the original until he's older. Just the backup copy. That way if he trashes the disc, I can just easily reburn it again from the original XD. I remember how I was with discs as his age, they were pretty much frisbees to me, so I've learned from my own mistakes haha

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
paying full price of 50 bucks for a game and throw away the box?
my greed can't accept that... if i paid 50 bucks for a game, i am keeping the box, even if it's just a piece of cardboard, it's part of the deal...

the box gives value and in case you want to sell it later you can either sell it faster or get more money of it
loooks nice on a shelve and can be stored on a attic or in a big box in case you don't have a place to put them...

also, in my opinion, a box can be a part of a product...
when i shop for second hand games it just doesn't appeal me to get a game without the original content.. i can get most games for free, if i am paying, i am better paying for the whole deal
specially when i have all theese flashcarts and tools, i don't see why i want the real cartridge without the box, manuals and whatnot...

Last edited by migles,

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Exactly that.
Don't throw them away, just pack them in a couple of extra boxes.

every one knows you love eggsbox too with the number 360 on it.

eggsbox.png

I try to keep my boxes if I can. Why @Psionic Roshambo you ask ? Well thats for another time and place.

Last edited by Flame,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Obviously. It makes no sense to throw away the box which is what keeps on protecting the disc/cartridge.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never met the notion of throwing boxes out until somewhat recently as these things go. Obviously I met it several times as I bought most of my games second hand (as I sit here thinking I might well have never got more than 10 games for myself brand new and I own hundreds of games) over decades at this point and several of those would be cart alone (or maybe a manual attached with elastic band). However neither me nor my friends and associates ever thought to throw away boxes and the like, though most of use knew it would get that little bit more in the second hand shop so it made sense.

These days with games on CDs/DVDs then it makes sense to keep the cases. Similar story when things came in hard cases (tapes, master system, megadrive...).

I make no special efforts to preserve them though, especially not if you are going to go by Japanese standards (at times it seems second only to comics in the quality charts for what counts as damage). Mostly they just get thrown in cupboards, boxes, on tables and shelves and left to get battered, broken and bruised as things do.
Equally when faced with a choice between boxed and unboxed my pain point for going to the boxed is usually about £2 for most things.

Scrabbling around under a bed the other day I did find a box that used to house a VCR that was full of my cardboard cases for my old PAL N64 games the other day actually, including some of the rare and hard to come by things. Was tempted to throw it up for sale just to see but threw it in the attic instead -- mustn't encourage NIB/display game collectors, especially N64 ones, after all. Also who cares about PAL?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: