Do you have yours reserved?

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go with the 256GB version to save few bucks, but the premium anti-glare etched glass is a must. Otherwise this device is useless (:>)
you can upgrade the m.2 to a bigger size although there is no telling how hard and or how much of it you need to take apart to get to it though, also as for the screen I do think there will be 3rd party etched glass screens to pop in it.

Reactions: White_Raven_X

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
you can upgrade the m.2 to a bigger size although there is no telling how hard and or how much of it you need to take apart to get to it though, also as for the screen I do think there will be 3rd party etched glass screens to pop in it.
I never use any kind of screen protectors because they're all utter shit tbh. Every single one of the screen protectors I used in the past had negative impact on the image quality of the screen. Also many of them seem to be even bigger fingerprint magnets than the screen itself, looking like you had a grilled chicken lying on your screen after every single use. Therefore I decided to spend extra money to use the original screen, even tough it's kinda overpriced imo.
I'm also not into preserving mint condition on my electronic devices. I buy them to use them, I don't care if they get any scratches after a while.

As to the replaceable m.2, that will be interesting. I hope it won't require too much fiddling to upgrade. Unfortunately, only 42mm modules are possible, at least according to Gaben.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I never use any kind of screen protectors because they're all utter shit tbh. Every single one of the screen protectors I used in the past had negative impact on the image quality of the screen. Also many of them seem to be even bigger fingerprint magnets than the screen itself, looking like you had a grilled chicken lying on your screen after every single use. Therefore I decided to spend extra money to use the original screen, even tough it's kinda overpriced imo.
I'm also not into preserving mint condition on my electronic devices. I buy them to use them, I don't care if they get any scratches after a while.

As to the replaceable m.2, that will be interesting. I hope it won't require too much fiddling to upgrade. Unfortunately, only 42mm modules are possible, at least according to Gaben.
The only good screen protectors I've had so far are from Hori for the touch screens on 3DS, Wii U, and DS (where I'd say they're explicitly mandatory so you can throw them out once they're scratched up from the styluses and apply new ones) and a tempered glass protector from dbrand for my Switch Lite. The Hori ones are fairly cheap plastic ones but completely preserve the image quality, the dbrand one is pretty expensive but makes the Switch Screen appear like a higher quality smart phone screen, and it's coated against fingerprints.

But those are the only two brands I'd personally trust, most other protectors I've seen or tried are as terrible as you've experienced them. Finger prints and worse colors galore.

Last edited by RAHelllord,
Reactions: tpax

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
1632847626257.png

Got it for one thing mostly (indies and all those hentai games).

I have a feeling configuring the buttons will be a pain though.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was talking about replacing the screen in the cheaper steam decks with a 3rd party etched glass screen not a screen protector, but since you did bring it up iv always had good experiences with glass screen protector.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I was talking about replacing the screen in the cheaper steam decks with a 3rd party etched glass screen not a screen protector, but since you did bring it up iv always had good experiences with glass screen protector.
You mean completely replace the front glass? Not sure it will be that easy (and worth the effort and risks). Replacing the backcover of my phone, which is glued to the body, was a major pain in the ass.

Reactions: leerpsp

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I've had the typical tempered glass screen protectors you find on eBay for not very much money, on various gadgets, and they're... alright... certainly protect the screen well (I had one shatter on impact and the original screen underneath was still perfect) but hard to get placed flawlessly and maybe not optically perfect. But when I replaced the one on my Switch I splurged a few times the price of those usual ones on a "premium" version from some known accessories brand name (might have been OVIO), and it was well worth the extra - it has strong glue that somehow pulls it completely flat against the screen and pushes all the bubbles out without you having to try and drive them all out by hand, and optically and in terms of touch sensitivity it seems pretty perfect.

TLDR: I think good screen protectors exist but likely cost more.

Reactions: tpax

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not a screen protector sort of person. My Atari Lynx has survived without one for all those decades so I think the Deck will be fine.

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
64GB after Q2. It's just so fucking big, it's twice as wide as my Vita. I'm going to have to start carrying my backpack around if I want to play games on it. My Vita fits in my pockets, my SD won't.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
64GB after Q2. It's just so fucking big, it's twice as wide as my Vita. I'm going to have to start carrying my backpack around if I want to play games on it. My Vita fits in my pockets, my SD won't.
I think we're still held back by thermal limitations when it comes to form factor.

Though, I'm sure they could've made it a bit smaller if they didn't go with the dual trackpads.

icogniito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
512GB reserved for Q1. I'm incredibly excited to finally get what to me is the perfect handheld gaming device. My Aya neo will be living in storage from the day I receive my deck.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(quoting myself from september 26th)
I've got the middle one (256 GB) reserved for Q1 2022 (presuming no upcoming issues like pandemics, chip shortages, ships blocking Suez, climate change disasters and similar)

I spend 2 hours a day commuting on a train. It'd be a nice break for my poor tablet that's running overtime so far. :P
Rats...here I am, hitting refresh roughly every couple hours, and it turns out I'm Q2 after all! I'm fairly sure I didn't misread it then, so something must've changed... :unsure:

Oh, well...I'll get it soon enough... :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: