Do you have an electric car? Which one would do you have/want?

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d love any input from the users here. I’m looking for a new car. My 1999 civic is asking to retire.

I’d really like to get a hatchback style car. The bolt looks pretty nice.

I drive about 50 miles a week in my car, which is a P.O.S. I’m not really looking to road trip in one. We will use our minivan for that.

I was also looking at the 2019 egolf (for the price and body type). I’d probably only have to charge on the weekends.

My parents live about 50 miles away. I can surely make a trip there, charge my battery there and make it back home. Or maybe we take the minivan to see grandma.

Any of you drive any of these electric cars? I got to drive my father in laws model3. It’s nice, I like it, I hated the dash. It only had one point of reference, the iPad in the middle. Not for me. I like to see the meters and information in multiple places. I liked how the bolt looked and how the egolf looks pretty normal. I like normal things.

Also, since my father in law got a charger installed at our house, I could get an adapter (for j1772) and charge from his machine too.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not really - where I live, CNG is fairly widespread to the point the refueling time and location handicaps are tolerable (while electric would mean subscribing to a public charger network, with a very limited number of outlets spread around the city - if yours has any, that is, and increasing your basic power bill before any kWh charges since the standard 3.3 kW line would be inadequate for a fast charger, usually also sold separately, plus standard home loads);

this is with a car that costs about 3000 € more than the gasoline model (significantly less if you did it aftermarket, and slightly offset by a 75% discount on the yearly tax), but most importantly can be filled in 5 minutes with 11 € to go 310 kilometers - haven't heard of anything comparable in the electric world...

It's a variant of the home heating argument ("resistive electic heating may be 100% efficient, air conditioners in heating mode are well over 200% efficient with respect to electrical consumption, yet it's still cheaper to burn something") :)

I do like some electric vehicles (like the Tazzari Zero), but paying double than alternatives for well less than half the flexibility and conveience.....

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I would love to have some tiny electric contraption to move around town, seeing as how it costs 1-2% of the price of gas per mile (I did the math), and it would pay off in a not too far future, but there is simply no infrastructure available to charge electric cars here. There are a few fast charging stations around but none conveniently located. The idea with these cars is you charge them in your garage overnight, but I don't have a garage, so there goes that idea.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I don't have a car at all, I'm still learning to drive and I know I won't have the money to buy an electric car right away, but I would love to get a Tesla sometime in the future. It's cheaper to maintain, good for the environment, and has some awesome self-driving and traffic accident-dodging capabilities.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Good point. I’m already looking at what charging options I would have. I’d be ok in this area.

The Tesla is nice, but it’s too nice for me. Our family will always have a dog. So I need something that dogs can travel in. Plus, the kids would just make a mess in it. The vegan leather probably hates apple juice anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (this is going to be horribly misinterpreted as me wanting to fuck DK or smth, isn't it?)