Do you garden?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Chary, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I keep trying to structure threads outside of news to be like news. It's a well-driven habit so much that I opened a tab prematurely to look for a source and header picture for this, lol.

Anyways, I've been in Oregon for about a week now, and coming from Texas, it's insane how different it is here. No smog, clean tap water, people walk around outside, no oppressive humid weather, etc. But most drastically of all, you see all these people gardening! My grandparents have a whole setup here, with a backyard chock full of fruits and veggies and spices. Mint, blueberries, plums, tomatoes, and tons upon tons of pretty flowers like petunias. It makes me want to go back home and start my own garden, seeing as I have about 8,000 sqft of backyard lot that goes unused. Alas, Houston TX is a bit to humid for what I wish to plant.

But that got me thinking. Anyone else here on GBAtemp into planting and gardening? I just helped plant a cantaloupe sprout, and I found it super therapeutic and fun. What do you like to plant, and what season and climate does it grow best in?

2. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    I like gardening. This year has been an off year though, so there are fewer flowers and barely any edible stuff.
    We got a tomato plant though (we usually have one. Last year it yielded like.. 200 tomatoes or something), and a small chilli plant (but it doesn't grow that well... don't know what's up with it).

We also have grapes. It's getting pretty big!

Well... that's about it I guess :P

Chary, brickmii82 and CallmeBerto like this.
  3. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I have a small garden so I don't grow too much. The things I mostly grow are tomatoes(summer), strawberries(summer), and pumpkins(fall). I did try to grow corn once however that didn't end well. I may try again this year. I'll post a few pics later on once I get home.

HaloEliteLegend and Chary like this.
  4. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Master of cookies ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    Well i did some bacteria culture, i don't think that counts xP

Chary and brickmii82 like this.
  5. konsolenumbau.expert

konsolenumbau.expert GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2016
    Germany
    Rieps
    We do some gardening over here as well. I missed this year a bit as well cause off my surgerys but hope next year I will harvest some strawberry's

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

6. Stephano

Stephano I love you Charlie

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    On the floor of the Engineering building
    My family and I do. For over a decade we have been planting a large amount of trees and plants in our yard trying to make it as beautiful as possible. It's my mom's hobby so we get wrapped up in it as well. In addition, we also have a fruit and vegetable garden that we have been working on all this year. We have gotten quite a bit of food from it as well. It's a pain to weed (and hasn't been done in a while...) but it's really cool to eat food that you grow. I make a lot of vegetable dishes for my family so it's nicer using home grown food.

We grow Peas, Watermelon, okra, tomatoes, onions, various spices, jalapenos, banana and bell peppers, quash, and garlic

Vegetable Garden
    Garden/Flower Beds

Last edited by Stephano, Jul 24, 2017
  7. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Flowers, no.
    Cacti and fruit, very yes.
    Tried flowers once, didn't work out.

Last edited by _v3, Jul 24, 2017
    Chary likes this.
  8. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    I don't but my dad does.

We have potatoes, tomatoes, aubergine, pumpkin, green gourd, pepper and tons of other stuff in our back garden.
    Everything is growing really well except the green gourd. The plant itself has grown really well but for some reason no gourds are growing.

Chary likes this.
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Not in a scale close to anything else I might do. Certainly not something I do because I enjoy it and never looked at something I planted or tended, got all warm and fuzzy inside and thought "I did that". I try to know my plants, even starting to really learn my mushrooms, and happily harvest wild foods but that is not the same thing.

Anyway new house so not sure what is going here (walnuts, apples and the chillies I brought with me) and one of the bits of land kept throughout it will have some crab apples and probably some plums. There are some sugar plums, sloes and blackberries on the lanes that I will be getting before too long (already had a few) as well.

Chary, CallmeBerto and VinLark like this.
  10. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I actually hate flowers, so I'll go with no.

Technically, the only plant I occasionally get is cat grass, and I give it a bit of water so technically, I do.

11. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    California
    Wife says no. So I buy my own weed. I have a buddy that gardens, though. :)

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I've been interested in starting up a garden in my yard, but there's not too much space and my dog would probably try to eat it all lol.

But we do have some cherry tomatoes in a pot growing right now, and we plan to do potatoes and possibly carrots at some point. I'd like to start trying to grow some spices and herbs, thyme, mint, basil, rosemary, that sort of stuff so I can use them when I cook.

My grandma has a nice garden in her yard that I used to work in with one of my uncles when I lived at my parents house. Had carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and other such stuff.

13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I built a little garden next to my house and planted jonquils and snow peas a month or so ago. I am renting where I am so I can't do too much. I have a nice view over paddocks, mountains, cows, sheep, and horses though so I am not complaining.

zoogie likes this.
  14. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    i used to, extensively, we grew carrots, cucumbers, raspberries, sweetpeas, corn, hell, almost any vegetable you can think of, we grew by the hundreds, but passed it on to someone else once my uncle, the gardener, developed pulmonary fibroses, which, ironically came from the dust of said garden, and ate holes in his lungs.

15. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Not me, but my mom is. We have a pretty big back yard here (dunno square footage, maybe 4,000-6,000ft?) and the entire perimeter is full of flowers and other exotic plants, and another patch of backyard has some blueberry and other berry plants growing.
    Up here in Washington/Oregon, we get a lot of favorable weather for gardening, and yeah, you definitely see a lot of gardeners here!

(By the way, the gardening and landscape companies in this area make BANK. Small father/son operations with huge clientele pools!)