"Do Something" Contest

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hi, we've decided, for absolutely no reason, to throw a totally-legitimate contest. It's open to any and all applicants, Also, it's multi-community, so ranks/status on any community is irrelevant. The deadline for any submissions is:

To enter, all you need to do is to make something. Naturally there must be actual proof that your entry was made (so you can't just claim something that doesn't exist). You may make an unlimited number of submissions, and there are no restrictions as to what the content is (it can be done on a computer, or made in real life and photographed, or anything else). Additionally, all entries will be put into a raffle, for an undisclosed prize.
Full details/guidelines/rules are available below.

Up for grabs are an assortment of prizes, the list will grow depending on the number of applicants. Prizes are non-hierarchial, but may be selected by winners (i.e. first prize gets to pick any of the below).

Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution
Award-winning, highly-anticipated prequal to Deus Ex.
Outstanding visuals, audio and astounding plot.

Trine
Innovative puzzle-game with a cult-following.
Simple and brilliant.

(also included are Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor)

HyperCube Model*

A four-dimensional object rendered in our humble three.
Quite literally out-of-this world, as we're sure your entry will be.
(courtesy of ShapeWays)
*will require a valid address

Free VPS with StormCom*
vpsicon.png

3 months free unmetered VPS.
512MB RAM, 100GB diskspace.
Available managed or unmanaged.
* requires valid email-address, terms of service apply

Rules
  1. All submissions must be made by the content owner(s). Plagurised entries will be discounted, and will not count towards either the main competition or the raffle.
  2. Any Minecraft-based submissions must be created on either (at this time) The Depths, or The Archives' Minecraft servers. This is to ensure authenticity of entries (if you represent a Minecraft server and would like to participate, please contact StormBit).
  3. Both the terms of this contest and the pool of awardable items is subject to change, with retroactive effect. This is to ensure that all entries abide by the same terms.
  4. Prizes are non-exchangable. Additionally the full number of awards will remain undisclosed until after the contest is closed.
  5. Any and all content is suitable for entry, Community rules permitting. However, winning content from "Antoligy's Steam Giveaway Contest Thing" is expressively forbidden
  6. This contest is open to all, as in "Anyone, Anywhere", with the sole exception being those who are judging.
  7. While Judge's decisions are final, if there are any disputes with how our judging process has been conducted, there will be a 72 hour period in which to express any concerns. After this, any inconsistencies will be resolved at the discression of the Judges.

Smoldy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.smoldy.co.uk
XP
Country
Okay!

I will do something!

Edit: I assume it is cool for us to post the entry's here

In any case here is a strange shape with a face on it flipping off waving at a circle (kinda) with a sad face surrounded by black fuzzy blobs with a strange filter, enjoy!

(also text proves I made it)

UYkys.png

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are there any categories of "something" involved? How is "something" graded? By degree of complexy/difficulty or just the final effect? :D

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Are there any categories of "something" involved? How is "something" graded? By degree of complexy/difficulty or just the final effect? :D
Collective opinions as to the final effect. That said, complexity rarely goes unrewarded, as can be seen from the previous list of winners.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Some of my drawing entries:

I made that
For a 3DSmax contest with theme : Time

I also did that on a deluxe paint-like program:

And finally, one of my best drawing, done on Oekaki board:
based on this photo

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do something? But that requires doing something!

Well, here's one thing I made for class after discovering there was a band named Blue October:
gallery_282323_601_115233.png

And here's another, using NASA's recently released, super high definition picture of the Earth:
gallery_282323_601_288940.png

If I can think of anything else worth posting, I'll be sure to do that.

EDIT: Alright, I thought of something else. I used photoshop to add on to this gif.

tPi6r.gif

EDIT PART 2: I also made this gif with a recent Harry Partridge video.

OfYTf.gif

If you need me to post the PSD file as proof, just let me know.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Seems interesting, but I'm curious about something, does it have to be stuff made on the computer, or can it be something made physically as well?
Proven with pics obv.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Seems interesting, but I'm curious about something, does it have to be stuff made on the computer, or can it be something made physically as well?
Proven with pics obv.
Of course, should I ammend the first post to clarify?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Proven with pics obv.
Of course, should I ammend the first post to clarify?
Yeah, if you could.

Not to make a double post, so I'll use my current papercraft in the making one of the submissions. xP
I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Just *bumping* this thread, to let you guys know that there are some pretty decent entries from the other sites participating, and that the Binding of Isaac is likely to be added to the prize pool.

Bobbyloujo

I am a millipede, I am amazing.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a ghetto iHome dock for my Zen: Vision M. I've since torn it apart but I still have parts of it if you need further proof that I made it.
0204020012.jpg

0204020015.jpg

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't have a steam account and don't need a storage space so I don't wish to win, I just wanted to show what I made :grog:
I thought more users will post, but if you have another forum full of good submission then it's good :P

Zorua

I'm not a furry.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I did to Cyanogen mod 7 in my spare time. :)
http://db.tt/qu3HYiic
http://db.tt/ycM5npYe
http://db.tt/w0KirT91
http://db.tt/WVFkV3Da
http://db.tt/vf12lmZN
http://db.tt/p6L4HwBT

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Note, this is mainly just a tech demo, so don't expect anything amazing. I haven't worked on the game in months either, but I plan on picking up development again this summer.

logosxq.png

Winner of "Best of Zelda" for NCFC 2011!

Introduction

The Legend of Zelda: Path of Revelation is a Zelda fan game that aims to introduce modern game mechanics into the classic 3/4 top down style of TLoZ: ALttP. The game centers around a sacred area known as the Path of Revelation, which the Sages use to
"choose" the next Hero when one is needed. I don't want to reveal too much of the story, so I can't explain much more.

The game will feature 11 dungeons, 3 of which are sort of "training" dungeons, and essentially side-quests that the inhabitants of areas near them give you. The remaining 8 are full dungeons which will be quite large in size, and revolve around a specific elemental theme, and a main puzzle. For instance, the earth temple (The actual name will be "Sandstone Alcove") has a main puzzle dealing with cracked floors, kind of like some areas in Pokemon games.

And last but not least, the game will have a lot of interactivity between NPCs, and the land (Which is a new region known as Caleron) itself. For instance, an NPC might give you a sidequest that you can only complete in a certain season, or during certain weather. This also means that there will be terrain changes for certain seasons, and during certain weather. Of course, there will be more in-depth NPC interactivity not related to seasons/weather, like NPCs getting into arguments with one another, and affecting sidequests they may give you, or say if they run a shop, the prices may go up due to the shop owner's anger.

Screenshots

screenshot100uf.png
screenshot101eg.png
screenshot103zx.png

screenshot100s.png
screenshot102l.png
screenshot102c.png
screenshot107n.png
screenshot108d.png
screenshot106z.png

DownloadControls

Arrow Keys - Move Link/Epona, move through menu selections, aim the bow/hookshot
Z - Action/Talk/Read/Play Gemshorn/Get on Epona/Reel Fish/Get on King of Red Lions
X - Sword/Close Gemshorn box/Get off Epona/Scroll to end of text/Get off King of Red Lions
A,S,D - Use Items/Select items from inventory/Play Gemshorn
Enter - Pause/Inventory
Q - Go to the pause menu to the left
E - Go to the pause menu to the right
Ctrl - Hide/Unhide shading overlay
1,2,3,4,5 - Change weather
Mouse wheel - Increase/Decrease Time
Spacebar - Pause/Resume time flow
F4 - Fullscreen

Current Features
  • Time/Day System
  • Seasons
  • Weather
  • HUD
  • Text Engine
  • Instrument/Songs
  • Inventory
  • Map
  • Quest Status
  • Saving/Loading
  • Epona
  • Boat (Only in the Fishing Hole for now)
  • 1 Dungeon (Patierna Shrine)
Items:
  • Deku Nuts
  • Slingshot
  • Bombs
  • Boomerang
  • Gemshorn of Sorrow
  • Bow & Arrows
  • Fire Arrows
  • Bomb Arrows
  • Rod of Growth
  • Megaton Hammer
  • Hookshot
  • Cyclone Vase
  • Lens of Truth
  • Fishing Rod
  • Shade Cloak
  • Bottles
  • Pictobox
Credits

Myself - All of the engine so far, except what's listed below.
Lukearentz - Typewriter Text Engine
Xander - Link sprites
Darklink - Epona sprites
Calvein - Tree sprites
TRM - Item sprites for HUD
Muzzle - Hearts script
xot - Desaturation script
Takam - Water/Cabin/misc tiles
SuperMarioMaster91 - NPC/Misc. sprites

And yes, I just copypasta'd this from my ZFGC thread. :P

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

Jensen pixel-art (assistance of Invedit for materials) with Antoligy in glowstone (to profess my love, no not really). Took more effort that I expected but I think it came out okay.

Although I know I'm going to lose after seeing a *certain someone's* entry in the other forum. OH WELL.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Well I just happen to have been working on something useless for the past few days, so I guess I might as well enter. :P
Hopefully this will become the foundation to a game, but right now it's nothing more than a "tech demo" (and even calling it that is pushing it).
So basically at this point it's a planet generation and rendering engine. The idea is to make planets with billions of blocks and then have them be modifiable (to an extent). Kind of like minecraft in space. Right now I've nailed the seamless transition between space and surface, and that's pretty much it. It's very rough at the moment, but I hope to make it a little easier on the eyes before the end of the contest. :)

From space all the way down to the surface :
planet.png

And again, in glorious color and wireframe :
color.png

Toying with multiple planets :
planets.png

planets2.png

Reactions: 4 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.