PS1/2 Do ps2 backups lag this much?

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sub-title fail. lots*

I've been trying to burn backups to Maxell DVD-R's with no luck, except on a few games which then lag pretty bad during movies/animations.
I saw some media ranking thread on another forum that said these maxell dvd-r were second class, so they should have an 80-95% rate of success for ps2 backups...
I've burned at x2, x4, and x8, with little success. And yes, the discs are all ESR patched, they just lag or don't work at all. Using IMGBURN.

Another thing, the only game that works for me is Kingdom Hearts, which is the only game that I've pirated. (/shame)
My legit backups seem to be the ones that don't work, even though imgburn seems to rip them perfectly.

I'm also wondering if loading from a USB External HD is playable. I searched google but most threads are from 2007-2009 and I'm sure some breakthroughs have happened since then that make USB loading better.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Open PS2 Loader is the latest usb loader for ps2, but it's not faster than the other 2. I'd say you have a combination of bad burns + bad laser. Maybe tweaking the pots on your laser will get you better results, but i i wouldn't do it, it'll kill your laser faster. And actually using the discs you have now without doing anything to your laser, is also going to kill your laser quickly. If you get better DVD-Rs and your ps2 likes them, you might be able to enjoy some games for a while, but i would never do any hardcore gaming with discs on a ps2, the lasers are just too shitty to be actually used.

If your ps2 is a slim, go network loading, if it's a fat, get a HDD adapter. Open PS2 Loader is the loader to use for those too as well.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have this issue sometimes with my memorex burns. My rule of thumb now is that if a game lags on a memorex, I re-burn it on a verbatim or sony disc (I got those a little while after I originally burned some games). Of course, I have to use swap magic for mine (can't FMCB most 90001s, including mine) so that puts even more stress on my laser. By the time the laser goes, I'll probably learn how to do network loading, but until then I deal with discs.

USB loads can be unbearably slow. that hasn't really changed much over time as the PS2 supports only FAT and FAT32, not NTFS or exFAT.

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My ps2 runs everything fine with freemcboot, i would advise you also to use verbatim + a cleaning disc, to clean the lazer.
Or like Wiipower said, get a hdd for your phat ps2
wink.gif

good luck!

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I tried USB loading and though it skips here and there during FMV it works almost as well as retail during gameplay. The levels take a bit longer to load, but the skips are a lot more bearable than using the discs. I think it's my lens on the PS2 that's not reading the discs correctly, so I'll stick with USB loading for now.

Thanks for the help! I would go with network loading but I don't even have a stable computer situation right now.. haha.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
personuser said:
I have this issue sometimes with my memorex burns. My rule of thumb now is that if a game lags on a memorex, I re-burn it on a verbatim or sony disc (I got those a little while after I originally burned some games). Of course, I have to use swap magic for mine (can't FMCB most 90001s, including mine) so that puts even more stress on my laser. By the time the laser goes, I'll probably learn how to do network loading, but until then I deal with discs.

USB loads can be unbearably slow. that hasn't really changed much over time as the PS2 supports only FAT and FAT32, not NTFS or exFAT.

The supported file systems are a question of the loader not of the PS2 itself. NTFS would be very possible for Open PS2 Loader, but somebody would have to port some NTFS libary to ps2. That's just too much work and nobody is interested in doing it.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alex_32571 said:
Well, I tried USB loading and though it skips here and there during FMV it works almost as well as retail during gameplay. The levels take a bit longer to load, but the skips are a lot more bearable than using the discs. I think it's my lens on the PS2 that's not reading the discs correctly, so I'll stick with USB loading for now.

Thanks for the help! I would go with network loading but I don't even have a stable computer situation right now.. haha.

Are you using Open Loader? FMV cutscenes are really the only time the game should skip. Some levels might take a bit longer to load, but it's not as bad as a scratched disc, I'll tell you that much xD. What games are you trying to run? Some titles have more problems than others, and some need patching to run at full speed or to work at all.

pokefloote

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
Alex_32571 said:

Are you using Open Loader? FMV cutscenes are really the only time the game should skip. Some levels might take a bit longer to load, but it's not as bad as a scratched disc, I'll tell you that much xD. What games are you trying to run? Some titles have more problems than others, and some need patching to run at full speed or to work at all.
Yeah, only the FMV and such skip.
I'm using opl on a slim ps2. It's working great for me so far!

Do dual-layer games still not work over USB? I have Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance but it won't copy over to fat32 using usbextreme. It says cannot write.

dewback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the USB will alway be slow the usb on the PS2 is 1.1 and slow

I would suggest to use DVD +R works find with the disks that I have made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1