Do i need to keep GW & CN

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by peteruk, Oct 8, 2015.

1. peteruk
    OP

peteruk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2015
    I am wanting to raise some funds for other projects and want to know if based on the following information i can now go ahead and sell my GW carts and CN cart

I have N3DS on 9.0 and 9.5 emu, it is installed with reinand CFW and i have it all setup to auto boot directly into emunand with all cia installed etc..

I no longer have any desire to play roms as i use cia, i have no desire to cheat in games (a coming soon feature of GW)

I have an r4 sdhc cart that works fine for nds titles i can use so no need for GW bluecard either

So based on the above information would i be safe to now sell my GW and CN ?

When i ask if i am safe, i suppose what i am asking is will i be able to get back in and exploit my system should anything go wrong with it in the future without needing GW and CN again ?

Thanks in advance for your opinions

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Once you're all set up, no, you don't really need Gateway and/or Cubic Ninja anymore. Just make sure to keep a backup copy of your sysNAND (and periodically, emuNAND, so you can put it back if you get an update nag) somewhere safe, just in case your N3DS accidentally gets updated or something. The only somewhat useful reason I could think of is if you needed to make a fresh new emuNAND; you could use the red card to easily install a CIA installer to the emuNAND with no hassles, but otherwise..not really.

That's just my opinion, though. I'm still hanging on to my Gateway just in case.

Arithmatics, Margen67 and peteruk like this.
  3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't think there's much point in selling unless you need the $100 or so urgently. Maybe with cubic ninja, if everything it could do was replaced with something easier, it could lose value. I don't think the Gateway cards will lose value though (unless by a miracle the DSTwo+ does a better job in some way for less price).

peteruk likes this.
  4. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    CN can be replaced with browserhax and pasta now. Cheating is available without GW on any cfw. The only thing you benefit with GW with is .3ds/z drag and drop

Arithmatics and peteruk like this.
  5. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    Thank you for the replies everyone, I have decided to go CFW and free exploits from here on in

I dont need to play rom files anymore and i don't like to cheat

I have already sold my GW and have my Cubic Ninja up for sale now also

6. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    What outlet are you using to sell?

7. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    I sold the GW on eBay UK and am selling Cubic Ninja on here

Margen67 likes this.
  8. Classicgamer

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    Oh cool! I'm in the same boat as you. I xorpad'd my dumps on my rxtool o3ds, cia'd thanks to Riku, and set up my n3ds like yours. I'm considering selling my GBA, ezflash IV, o3ds and GW red/blue and my AK2i!

Margen67 and peteruk like this.
  9. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    Do it buddy :)

You will never look back

legofan623, Classicgamer and Margen67 like this.
  10. Classicgamer

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    I need to get a nds cart if I ditch gw blue though. With flashcArdtimewarp installed I just need to find a card that doesn't drain the battery if I leave it in all the time. Seems the battery would drain faster w/ ak2i in my o3ds (lid closed system on) or blue card in n3ds w/ same condition.

peteruk likes this.
  11. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    That's amazing ebay UK doesn't have a policy against this. Or perhaps it does and you just chose to ignore it?

12. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    The truth be told i did not read their policy, i saw another one advertised on there, watched it for 3 days and it sold without any problems, so i worded my sale exactly the same with my own photograph

13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    As long as nobody reports your listing you are fine. I tried to sell an o3ds with rxtools installed a few months ago and it got removed about 2 days into the listing.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Oct 8, 2015
    peteruk likes this.
  14. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    GW is only required by N3DS 8.1.0-0J so you can sell it if you don't have such a console like that.
    However CN is still in need since browserhax/etc. are unstable enough.

peteruk and Arithmatics like this.
  15. legofan623

legofan623 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 3, 2011
    United States
    Puyallup, WA
    My gateway sold on eBay USA within a matter of hours, I guess I just got lucky.

Quantumcat and peteruk like this.
  16. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    also remember that by using gw/sky3ds you don't have anything illegitimate on your system, but if you use cias then you will have those 'pirated' tickets on your nand.
    sure, nintendo don't seem to do anything about it, but some people will like to have their 3ds as 'clean' as possible just in case :)

17. Kawaii

Kawaii GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2015
    New Zealand
    Not near you
    =) sold my gateway too last week. What a relief.
    Thinking bout amiiqo.
    I wished for that current price they bundle it up with usb reader or some sort.
    Anyone on the same boat?

peteruk likes this.
  18. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    How long has OP been using GW? If you're like me, and got your Gateway as soon as it was released, then you probably downloaded a massive torrent with all the games released up until that point in .3DS format, or just generally have a collection of your favourite games in .3DS format.

Has OP ever done a .3DS to .CIA conversion before? Even with the latest "easy" tools, unless you've obtained XORPADs from an alternate source, it requires juggling SD card around between 3DS and PC, copy/pasting, running scripts etc.

It is honestly is easier to press select and play with GW, but dat battery consumption tho, damn!

Oh, and i hope OP is handy with a hex editor too, because if your .3DS roms are out of region, they ain't gonna show up on your home menu!

19. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    Hi Jao

I had the Gateway from December time and yes acquired a lot of .3DS roms but only played very few of them, the .cia files can be found in the same way, so i have no need to convert .3ds to .cia or use ZORPADs

No juggling required here

But i sincerely appreciate your concern, thank you so much

20. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    It can be deleted by formatting the NAND.

Last edited by MelonGx, Oct 9, 2015
    peteruk likes this.