Do any microsd cards work with Cyclo?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by JarOfFlies, Mar 26, 2009.

Mar 26, 2009
  1. JarOfFlies
    OP

Newcomer JarOfFlies Newbie

United States
    I only got the Kingston 2g card, but it's already full. Was looking at the 8/16 g cards.

2. Filter

Member Filter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes any size MicroSD or MicroSDHC card will work.

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Generally speaking yes, any microSD will work, but I've encountered where a Transcend 8gig Class 6 was flaky in my Cyclo.....UMK wouldn't boot unless I deleted the save file [​IMG] , the ingame menu would refuse to come up in most games and first boot of games (where it creates the save file) would either take forever to load or not load at all until I reset and tried again. I don't know why.

I put my old Transcend 8gig Class 4 back in and everything went back to normal. It sucked because I bought the Class 6 so I could play Castlevania PoR without locking up. That idea went out the window.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the Class 6 as it works fine in other devices I tried it in, the Cyclo just doesn't like it.

So yeah, you DO have to be careful which SDHC card you get for it, but I don't know any way to determine which will work and which will be flaky. Team Cyclops has not been any help with this issue either, so it is unknown whether they could possibly fix it in a firmware update or not.

The only differences I can see between the Class 4 and Class 6 are a better response time on the Class 6 (0.8ms compared to 1.6ms on the Class 4) and the fact that on the Class 4 the read and write speeds are close to equal, whereas the Class 6 writes slower than it reads.

As a side note, ALL my 2gig cards (Kingston and Sandisk) al worked fine.

I know that's not really helpful to you, but that's my experience.