Hardware DIY sensor bar

dori2o

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I was to make my own wireless sensor bar, is there a maximum or minumum distance that the 2 LED sets have to be apart from each other?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Judging by the time we spent with the "candle fix" not really (although it might take recalibration and you also have to contend with distance from bar/angle of the remote- your basic field of vision idea).

Secondly if you are making something can you not just stick two sets on two sets of PCB/stripboard (or indeed float them off the breadboard) to see how it works for you?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Step 1: power on Wii with official sensor bar

Step 2: look at sensor bar with Cell phone or webcam. You will see purple/blue lights on the screen.

Step 3: measure LED space.

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Profit!

dori2o

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wishmasterf said:
whats the reason for doing that?
We've just had the living room done up, TV is now on the wall and all cables are hidden (scarts/HDMI and wii AV channelled into the wall, but not the sensor bar cable) so there is nowhere for the sensor bar to fix to.

I wanted to make 2 seperate led units and have made 2 holders for the LED units that hook over the top of the TV. TV is 42" widescreen and actual width is approx 46", so the LED's would potentially be approx 40"-44" apart.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not sure and i would like to make some for the pc one day, but i think if you run the calibration in the settings it should work, just try it i guess. thats what i would do. trial and error is the best way to troubleshoot things.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you don't have to have the bar on top of your tv i have mine sitting in front of it and the cables are tucked behind and under the bottom of the screen

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Bladexdsl said:
you don't have to have the bar on top of your tv i have mine sitting in front of it and the cables are tucked behind and under the bottom of the screen

QUOTEjust stick a couple candles about 8 inches apart on top of your tv.
yeah i'm sure every1 wants wax dripping down their tv
laugh.gif

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the wiimote only detects movement from a light it detects. This displacement is then sent wireless to the Wii, where it interprets the displacement as movement.

The sensor bar doesn't do anything other than light up its lights. The wiimote is sensitive to the light emitted by candles I guess too :/

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Celice said:
I believe the wiimote only detects movement from a light it detects. This displacement is then sent wireless to the Wii, where it interprets the displacement as movement.

The sensor bar doesn't do anything other than light up its lights. The wiimote is sensitive to the light emitted by candles I guess too :/
Then what's the point of the orange cable? It might as well have been another power cable.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re candles: hot objects (like a flame on a candle) generate infra red radiation much like the sensor bar (which has a bunch of infra red LEDs* in it) and that is what you wii picks up.

*if you want to see them point your mobile phone/some other camera at them and they will be visible.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
8BitWalugi said:
Celice said:

Then what's the point of the orange cable? It might as well have been another power cable.

Ding ding ding... the orange cable IS a power cable, that and nothing more.

dori2o

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
The problem is there is nothing for the sensor bar to rest on. There is no shelf etc below the TV, just a TV on the wall. The cable are channeled into the wall and go into a hidden cupboard that is in an alcove at the side of the chimney breast where the wii, HDD, BlueRay etc are kept.

Sorted it now anyway. I can confirm that the LED's can be 43.5" apart (although this is not their limit, just how far apart mine are)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s