Disgaea DS Original Music

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Absynthe, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Absynthe
    OP

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    So okay, I don't like how they converted the songs in this porting, and I was wondering if it could be possible to substitute them with the original ones. I have all the original tracks in mp3 format, taken from the UOST, and I don't care if the rom will increase in size, I have plenty of free space on my SD. And I don't want someone to do it for me, I just want to know if it is possible and how. Thank you very much

2. AXYPB

AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2007
    United States
    If the format of the music files in the ROM can be determined, theoretically there's no reason why it shouldn't be possible to convert the MP3s into that format and replace them. I would like the original music back myself.

3. saxamo

saxamo Spaaaaace!

Aug 6, 2006
    United States
    NYC
    eh, i'm just happy with the undub [​IMG] Never played the orig so I don't know the music.

4. Absynthe
    OP

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    Trust me, it's a hundred times better. I'll do some researches and post here the results when/if I'll find something.

5. CPhantom

CPhantom The Noob :(

May 14, 2008
    United States
    Music file type seems to be a format called .msnd, which I have no clue what that is. I located these when opening up the bgm.dat, which chances are that stands for Back Ground Music, haha.

anyway, it just has labels, then is garbled junk.

The files are labeled as: bgm_##(01-33).msnd

6. Absynthe
    OP

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    Yeah I found that too. Googling that I came across this page http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/kernel/so...nd-2.101.README
    I don't really get what it's about, but it's definitely audio-related. Could you please take a look at it? Ah btw it's something *nix based. Luckily I'm running Kubuntu here, so if that's actually something useful, I can use it.

7. AXYPB

AXYPB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2007
    United States
    I don't think the music sounds that much different but I didn't see why they felt it necessary to arrange it the way they did.

8. Absynthe
    OP

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    It's the same for me. If this was an original title for the DS I would have been satisfied with this music, but having played the PS2 version, I miss the original ones...

9. Fairytale

Fairytale Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    not to mention that every voiced end exclusive song is missing. they are in the UOST too, and it should be possible to replace them.

if you turn the volume up ( or use a emulator and turn the volume to a amount where the original NDS can't possibly reach ) you even hear noise in the background. whatever they did to the bgm, it's horrible.

10. Absynthe
    OP

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    Exactly. So, has anyone found out something about these .msnd files?

11. Mergulho

Mergulho Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2008
    Brazil
    Off topic: It's possible to replace the voices with the english voices of the PS2 version?

12. deufeufeu

deufeufeu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    Have you even tried reading the first line of this README ?...

13. Mergulho

Mergulho Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2008
    Brazil
    Anyone?

14. Fairytale

Fairytale Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    possible is basically everything, but i bet that no one will ever even think about replacing nds files with ps2 files. may as well say it's "Impossible"

15. Kerian

Kerian GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2007
    Canada
    Hmm now that I think about it - what about using the PSP sound files?

16. Absynthe
    OP

Absynthe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2008
    Italy
    The Isle of Everywhere
    Yeah. Sorry. I feel really stupid. I just scrolled down and ignored the first line. Sorry, really.