Discussion- Better names for exploits

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Swiftloke, Nov 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    So, I've noticed that all the current exploits for the 3ds are are just the title name and 'hax', for example, oot3dhax. Personally, I think this is dumb and there should be better names for the current exploits. They are:
    oot3dhax- Song of hax
    smashbroshax- Smash Stack 3D
    browserhax- Spiderweb/Skatepark
    Homemenuhax/menuhax-Menuhax is already a good name. And I can't think of a better one.
    Ironhax-Pickaxe
    Ninjhax- Let's face it, even if it was a bad name [and it isn't], it's never gonna get changed.
    What do you think? Any ideas for names yourselves? Do you think the current names are good? Do you think mine are?

cynosura and Subtle Demise like this.
  2. Giodude
    This message by Giodude has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  3. Marko76
    This message by Marko76 has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  4. suloku

suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    So, change a name that informs about the game/method used and makes reference to the kind of payload it uses to some arbitrary name? Yes, seems the most reasonable think to do.

chaojimbo, VegaRoXas, farias0 and 2 others like this.
  5. z3ro

z3ro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Ohio
    They are named as such because of how they were discovered and how they work. Changing them, especially at this point (and to what you've suggested), just seems... kinda dumb. No offense.

MasterLel likes this.
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I do think the names are uncreative and there are much better options, but I don't necessarily think that your suggestions are any better. Besides, changing them at this point would only cause confusion.

7. Swiftloke
    OP

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Well OK then. None taken.

8. imadeanaccountjustforthis

imadeanaccountjustforthis Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2015
    A long time ago, I adopted a cat. The owner took care of them for a while, but had to let go of them due to lack of money. Its name was Bob, and I respected it and called it Bob.
    My younger brother, however, chose to call them Tom instead, and convinced everyone else to call them Tom, too. He got his way, and everyone referred to it as Tom. The cat was confused by this.
    Somewhat soon after we got it, the cat managed to run off and didn't return. Of course, we panicked, and frantically searched for him, but to no avail.
    Everyone yelled, "Tom! Where are you?", but nobody came. Only I called out for Bob.
    Suddenly, I heard a "meow" near me. It was Bob, walking up to me and brushing up against my leg.
    It ignored my family members, who tried to search for a "Tom", while he chose to return to the person referring to it by the name it was used to.
    After that event, everyone else stopped trying to name it "Tom" and called it by the name it was used to. Bob was far less confused and reacted to my family members calling out for it, since.

The point of the story is that attempting to forcibly rename something in place of using the name everyone is familiar with is bound to raise confusion and misunderstandings.
    At this point in time, it would be better to just stick with the names the exploits are currently referred to and perhaps getting more creative with new or upcoming exploits, should any appear, instead of forcing a change for the sake of making things sound more unique.

9. foreveryang
    This message by foreveryang has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  10. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    You lost me.
    How many cats were there?
    And if your brother called all of them Tom, no wonder they would be confused.

/s

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    It's really not the community who decides what the hack is called, it's the creator of the hack who names it. And quite honestly I like the naming theme, it works, and for the most part is universally accepted.

12. sarkwalvein
    This message by sarkwalvein has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  13. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    Yes, I know that buckminsterfullerene is an absurd name to call a certain form of carbon, but it still can't be changed

14. Lilith Valentine
    This message by Lilith Valentine has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  15. yodamerlin

yodamerlin Bok bok.

Apr 1, 2014
    I will point out that Smealum likes giving things stupid names as he gets to name them what he likes.

16. Kitty_Kat

Kitty_Kat Banned

Banned
    Oct 19, 2015
    United States
    Everywhere
    Maybe so.. But they appropriately fit the exploit's entrypoint. Ninjhax is called that because of cubic ninja

Subtle Demise likes this.
  17. Demifiend

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    Before you make a suggestion, remember to follow the most strict rule of anything you're gonna say:

Will be useful for the community?.

Given that nobody is gonna change those names, since that would be useless, and unnecessary, and most importantly, it isn't not useful, for anyone outside of yourself, then, by the votes of majority, we can conclude that this discussion isn't going to lead to anywhere important.

18. Asia81
    This message by Asia81 has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  19. Giodude
    This message by Giodude has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  20. cynosura
    This message by cynosura has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  21. ketal
    This message by ketal has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  22. zezzo
    This message by zezzo has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  23. Marko76
    This message by Marko76 has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  24. Asia81
    This message by Asia81 has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 2, 2015
  25. 101239
    This message by 101239 has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 3, 2015
  26. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Seeing this I am almost tempted to release my exploit under a random string of letters and numbers ("secure" password style).

RodrigoDavy and Shaker78 like this.
  27. Phanton

Phanton GBAtemp's Nui lover

Sep 9, 2015
    Argentina
    The only stupid thing is that they all end with "hax" which makes more reference to the luck factor on pokemon games than anything... but somehow you managed to make worse names.

28. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    I want to make my own names now:
    Ninjhax: Epic Anti-Piracy Cubic Ninja Payload Loader 3D
    Ironhax: Ironic Entrypoint
    Tubehax: Totally Tubular Exploit
    Smashroshax: BuyTheNewNintendo3DSToUseThisHackhax
    Browserhax: Spiders are crawling on skaters in this magical entrypoint hax
    Menuhax: Coldboot magic 3D
    MSET: Corrupted DS settings launched in 3DS mode to load a fancy payload hax 3D
    OoT3dhax: Ocarinentrypoint 3D
    :rolleyes:

I pwned U! likes this.
  29. clemull

clemull Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2013
    Jamaica
    I personally don't care they could call it shithax, as long as the exploit allows me to run homebrew.

30. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    Well said my friend the name means fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

I pwned U! and clemull like this.
  31. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    I would allow them to call it Jwiz33isa3dsidiothax if it allows rom loading.

clemull likes this.
  32. zezzo
    This message by zezzo has been removed from public view by Veho, Nov 3, 2015, Reason: Thread derailing.
    Nov 3, 2015
  33. Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2 Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist

Aug 17, 2015
    Australia
    noun; a particular place or position.
    The way I saw this thread made me think about Nintendo and how they're probably checking these exploits out back at headquarters knowing what they're called and how they're installed.

But other than that I can't see much reason beyond that as to why we should change them.

34. phase

phase Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    Blame yellows8. Ninjhax is alright for me, but oot3dhax is annoying. All his repos also have "3ds_" at the beginning of them, which just ticks me off.

but he also rocks at this whole "let's hack 3ds" thing, so he wins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.