assassda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
Drivechips are fine, but this would be something anyone could do.
if burning "commercial" DVDs was that easy we wouldnt need Swap Magic or any mod chips
rolleyes.gif

DVDs are not a new format we already know that this is not something that is feasible and especially not for less money than a $40 mod chip

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For someone that just recently joined and has been policing this place like a nazi, at the very least, be willing to learn instead of just bickering when your flawed logics are proved wrong.

I won't claim to know as much as some of the others here, but I won't be throwing buzzwords to try to prove intelligence. Those certain LG drives are able to ignore the improper for dvd standard headings on the disc, or something to that effect. As to making other drives able to, if you somehow can figure out how to mod the firmware, then by all means. You will be a hero.
smile.gif

But as for writing, the header (sorry I don't have the proper terminology. MID?) on blank discs are all written from the factory. Ever notice how with different discs you have different burn speed options. And if you read the MID, you'll see preprogrammed data. How are you going to change this? Even if you could mod your burner to write there, what are the rammifications of rewriting on a non rw? How do you even return the land to a pit (or is it the other way around?)? If you can do something low level enough that you can rewrite the prewritten sections to match wii disc specs, then again, you will be a hero!

Supertag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a good idea in this topic and that idea is an obvious one. Write custom firmwares for OTHER DVD drives that would enable the drive to read Wii disks.

trent_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supertag said:
There is a good idea in this topic and that idea is an obvious one. Write custom firmwares for OTHER DVD drives that would enable the drive to read Wii disks.
Is there really a demand for that? It seems like a lot of work for something we can already do. Between the drives that already read Wii discs and the SD dumping method, why waste the effort?

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw said:
Very few people have drives able to read them. And we can't write to "normal" Wii discs, since there's no blanks.

You really don't get it do you? Wii discs are ordinary dvd's, but they are written with a different file structure than a normal computer can write. The only reason Nintendo doesn't call them dvd's is because they aren't allowed to by copyright law. I don't know why you can't get it through your head. You are extremely stubborn.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linkinworm said:
how would this help the wii read disks without a modchip? i doubt anyone would run a LG drive external on the wii, well because thats kinda stupid
You would essentially be writing discs that are identical to the originals, so the Wii would read them as such.
assassda said:
if burning "commercial" DVDs was that easy we wouldnt need Swap Magic or any mod chips
DVDs are not a new format we already know that this is not something that is feasible and especially not for less money than a $40 mod chip
Who said it would be easy? By all means, it's extremely difficult, unimaginable, even. However, that doesn't rule out possibility. I will say this, though: If this would've ever been accomplished, it won't now, due to the advent of drivechips and people's ability to be lazy because of them.

Keep in mind, this topic was written in theory, not practicality.
ziddley said:
For someone that just recently joined and has been policing this place like a nazi, at the very least, be willing to learn instead of just bickering when your flawed logics are proved wrong.

If you wanted to start your post coming off as an ass, you did it. As I mentioned before, this thread is discussing a theoretical idea. If I were to just accept everyone telling me it's virtually impossible as fact, we wouldn't have a discussion here.
ziddleyBut as for writing, the header (sorry I don't have the proper terminology. MID?) on blank discs are all written from the factory. Ever notice how with different discs you have different burn speed options. And if you read the MID, you'll see preprogrammed data. How are you going to change this? Even if you could mod your burner to write there, what are the rammifications of rewriting on a non rw? How do you even return the land to a pit (or is it the other way around?)? If you can do something low level enough that you can rewrite the prewritten sections to match wii disc specs, then again, you will be a hero!

I don't believe the headers are part of the dye. They might be hardcoded and pressed with the discs. If this is the case, then that just leaves less for the writer to do. Instead, labels could be made and stuck over the headers. Those BCA barcodes are etched on to the disc, so the drive isn't expecting anything too data oriented.

It sounds far fetched, but you have to remember that barcodes are very simplistic.

Supertag

I recently discovered, that if forced, any DVDROM drive can read the data on the disc, without firmware modification. Download DVDDecrypter, press F8 to put the drive in I/O Debug Mode, and insert a Wii disc. You will see each sector of data in the log. I don't know how practical it would be to base anything on this, so it's probably best to be ignored.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jm9760 said:
theclaw said:
Very few people have drives able to read them. And we can't write to "normal" Wii discs, since there's no blanks.

You really don't get it do you? Wii discs are ordinary dvd's, but they are written with a different file structure than a normal computer can write. The only reason Nintendo doesn't call them dvd's is because they aren't allowed to by copyright law. I don't know why you can't get it through your head. You are extremely stubborn.

Finally! Someone other than me to correct this guy.

He's rediculous, isn't he?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Bring me documentation proving that you are an employee of Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Only then will I listen.

I tried to end the conversation. But it keeps being brought up. And as long others respond to me, I'll respond back. My opinion on the Wii disc format will not change. Quit trying to persuade me, it's a futile waste of everyone's time.

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, he's unbelievable. lol

EDIT: I was referring to teq's post.

@theclaw...You are the definition of the word idiot.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
sleep.gif

Please quit responding.

I'm calling a cease fire. Don't answer me and I'll go away. Answer me and I won't go away.

There are some things that are true:

Nintendo does not sell blank Wii discs or burners to the general public.
"DVD" is not the official name for Wii discs. Regardless of their physical properties.

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. You tell us to stop responding, but why don't you? If you stopped responding to our comments then we would obviously stop speaking to you.

2. The fact that regular dvd's work with a modded wii proves that the only difference between a blank dvd and a "Wii optical disc" is copyright protection. You are 100% wrong.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention claw, you came to this thread just to make that point. So, go away already.

QUOTE said:
I'm calling a cease fire. Don't answer me and I'll go away. Answer me and I won't go away.

There are some things that are true:

Nintendo does not sell blank Wii discs or burners to the general public.
"DVD" is not the official name for Wii discs. Regardless of their physical properties.
No... this is not going to work. You are not going to be this immature and think you have the right to tell anyone what to do.

Either stop trolling or I'll talk to a mod about it.

The more stubborn you are, the worse it's going to look for you. I'm not even asking you to admit you're wrong, at this point, as it's clear you won't do that. Just go away.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jm9760 said:
1. You tell us to stop responding, but why don't you? If you stopped responding to our comments then we would obviously stop speaking to you.

2. The fact that regular dvd's work with a modded wii proves that the only difference between a blank dvd and a "Wii optical disc" is copyright protection. You are 100% wrong.

You are wrong about point 2.
Just google "Wii disc data structure". It is a jumbled DVD structure. That is why images made with raw dump need descrambled. It is converting the image from the wii structure to DVD structure because(and listen closely) your DVd writer CANT write in the wii data structure!

If you look through my previous posts, I discussed Wii copy prtotection to a great extent about 6 months ago.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
That method of accusing me of trolling is itself trolling. Notice my lack of profanity, direct personal insults, etc.

I'm not the one using words like "idiot", "immature", or such. No previous post of mine in this thread contains them. I even explicitly stated my opinion about you is irrelevant.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
That method of accusing me of trolling is itself trolling. Notice my lack of profanity, direct personal insults, etc.

I'm not the one using words like "idiot", "immature", or such. No previous post of mine in this thread contains them. I even explicitly stated my opinion about you is irrelevant.

Actually, trolling is most commonly defined as coming to a thread with the intent on stirring up trouble, which you have done with your post. You didn't come here to discuss the topic, but rather just spread your opinion as fact.

-snip-

Well, thanks for the suggestion; I just reported your post.

paul1991
Just google "Wii disc data structure". It is a jumbled DVD structure. That is why images made with raw dump need descrambled. It is converting the image from the wii structure to DVD structure because(and listen closely) your DVd writer CANT write in the wii data structure!

If you look through my previous posts, I discussed Wii copy prtotection to a great extent about 6 months ago.

Actually, he's right, as am I. A DVD alone has no file structure. It's a blank slate.

What gives it a structure is the file system used to write it. Look up ISO9660, UDF, El Torito, Joliet, EFS, or Mount Rainier. Those are file systems; ISO9660/Joliet and UDF being the most commonly used.

The Wii disc structure is another example of a file system contained on a DVD medium.

It is descrambled because that's what the file system calls for. However, it could be descrambled, but not belong to a file system, hence the image being RAW.

RawDump then has the option of converting it to an ISO, which is ISO9660, a format understandable by all DVDROM drives.

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
paul1991 said:
Jm9760 said:

If you look at my previous post (#26), I've already said this.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theclaw, you might be thinking that way because of something else. Nintendo never licensed playback of dvd movies. That's why there's no dvd player feature of the Wii natively yet, and there was word that in the future, they might make one available for purchase (paying the licensing fee and making some themselves).

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ziddey said:
theclaw, you might be thinking that way because of something else. Nintendo never licensed playback of dvd movies. That's why there's no dvd player feature of the Wii natively yet, and there was word that in the future, they might make one available for purchase (paying the licensing fee and making some themselves).

No, he has stated time and time again, in multiple threads, that he believes the Wii discs themselves are not DVDs, but some proprietary disc developed by Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s