Hacking Disassembling the DS

Salamantis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everybody,

My DS Lite's hinge recently broke, and it's no longer on warranty as I've had it for more than a year. Instead of paying $80 for replacement, I'd like to buy myself a replacement case. I'd like a few people's opinion to clear me up on some points.[*]If you have a replacement case, which one do you have? Would you say it's good?[*]What is the hardest step of disassembly?[*]Ant tips you could give me?[*]If you used a guide, which one did you use?Thanks for helping me out, guys.
smile.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is another thread in this forum concerning broken hinges. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70827

There is a review of the DS Lite on this site that talks about the broken hinge problem. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36877

QUOTE said:
There have been some reported problems with the hinge cracks in the DS Lite. I, for one, have experienced this. It's a crippling problem, and I'll let you see it for yourself:

[picture]

However, I have decided not to deduct from the hardware rating for two reasons:
*Nintendo has corrected this issue in the second production of the Lite
*Nintendo has offered to fix any of these for free with a quick phone call- including mine

I'd contact Nintendo and see if they'll fix it since they know about the problem.

-Bri

Salamantis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is another thread in this forum concerning broken hinges. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70827

There is a review of the DS Lite on this site that talks about the broken hinge problem. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36877

QUOTE said:
There have been some reported problems with the hinge cracks in the DS Lite. I, for one, have experienced this. It's a crippling problem, and I'll let you see it for yourself:

[picture]

However, I have decided not to deduct from the hardware rating for two reasons:
*Nintendo has corrected this issue in the second production of the Lite
*Nintendo has offered to fix any of these for free with a quick phone call- including mine

I'd contact Nintendo and see if they'll fix it since they know about the problem.

-Bri

I contacted Nintendo, and as I said in the first post, my DS is no longer on warranty, and it will cost to get it repaired.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've not experienced the problem, but the article sounded as though Nintendo has offered to fix any that had broken (even out of warranty) since it was a defect in manufacturing (which has apparently been fixed in newer versions of the DS Lite).

You might want to contact the author of the aforementioned article to see if that was their understanding. Maybe you just talked to the wrong person at Nintendo.

-Bri

Salamantis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've not experienced the problem, but the article sounded as though Nintendo has offered to fix any that had broken (even out of warranty) since it was a defect in manufacturing (which has apparently been fixed in newer versions of the DS Lite).

You might want to contact the author of the aforementioned article to see if that was their understanding. Maybe you just talked to the wrong person at Nintendo.

-Bri

Called them again, I got transferred to a different person, same story. It would cost to get it repaired. They said they could get me 15$ off the repair, but that would still be over 70$.

Stupid Nintendo >.>

PikaPika

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know of a good guide for disassembly, but you should get the new shell at DealExtreme. And from what I've heard, the Shock! shells are crap, so don't get those.

auto123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a ds original and replaced its case. I broke my first one and bought my friends crappy one for $20 and did it right the second time.
be sure to fully remove the touch screen, it makes things alot easier. be super careful with removing the top screen, if the lite is like the original the screws that hold the top screen together are UNDER the rubber stoppers (bumpers, rubber nobs, whatever you want to call them). undo all ribbon cables too, and for the hinges use pliers to force them into place (spelling?) because human hand power just isnt easy enough.

re-assemble top screen without putting the back on, and thread the ribbon cable through the top bottom screen first, then put in the hinges, then re-assemble everything.

hope you find this useful (oh and have all the proper tools, jewelers tri-wing screw driver and jewelers philips)

Salamantis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a ds original and replaced its case. I broke my first one and bought my friends crappy one for $20 and did it right the second time.
be sure to fully remove the touch screen, it makes things alot easier. be super careful with removing the top screen, if the lite is like the original the screws that hold the top screen together are UNDER the rubber stoppers (bumpers, rubber nobs, whatever you want to call them). undo all ribbon cables too, and for the hinges use pliers (spelling?) because human hand power just isnt easy enough.

re-assemble top screen without putting the back on, and thread the ribbon cable through the top bottom screen first, then put in the hinges, then re-assemble everything.

hope you find this useful (oh and have all the proper tools, jewelers tri-wing screw driver and jewelers philips)

Thanks, I'll take that into mind if or when I'll replace the case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk