Hacking Disassembling DSL, part replacement tips?

Jimen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently dropped my DS Lite, which broke the hinge and caused it to pop off; although I put it back together, it appears that the little metal ring inside the hinge isn't quite where it should be, and is thus savaging the ribbon cable leading to my top screen. As my DS Lite is pretty worn-and-torn (and out of warranty), and repair services such as Nintendo's or Consoledoctor's are too damn expensive, I've been thinking about doing a case replacement and fixing other little problems with it (such as a completely nonresponsive R shoulder button and a poorly responsive L button) at once while I'm at it, but the top screen looks to be the most problematic as while I've handled electronics and worked with their insides before, I'm a total amateur when it comes to actually modifying or repairing electronic components, and I'm not sure how much damage there even is.

The top screen displays everything as extremely washed-out to the point of being off-white; the only color that's not subject to this is black. When most of the screen is black or otherwise dark, however, the top screen instead reverses the colors, but displaying the black as a very light blue instead. At first, I could get it to display normally by opening the DS all the way, but about a week and a half ago (the damage was done a little over two weeks ago) that stopped working, and the top screen now looks the same regardless of screen angle. Will simply relieving the pressure on the ribbon cable be enough to fix it at this point, or is it already permanently damaged? If so, I've read that I need to replace the entire top screen as the ribbon cable is permanently attached to it; however, I've also read that desoldering and soldering is involved in that replacement process. I've never even used a soldering iron before, though, and aside from not having the necessary equipment to do it, I'm guessing a small and expensive piece of electronics like the DS Lite isn't exactly a good place to learn it. Are there any alternatives or suggestions for that? I don't mind leaving the speakers disconnected assuming everything else will work without them (as I mostly use headphones anyway), and though it'd be kind of a shame to damage them, I can accept breaking them now and replacing them in future years once I've got the time, space, and money to monkey around learning electronics.

As for the shoulder button, what do I do to fix that anyway? And are there any replacement parts I should order while I'm at it just in case, besides the case replacement and the new top screen? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shoulder buttons may only require a bit of cleaning inside, as for the top screen, if it needs replacing then the only soldering is to the speakers, but that is a lot easier than connecting the ribbon cable successfully, so I wouldn't worry about that part...

Jimen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I don't do the soldering, though, everything will still work except for the speakers, right? And if I want to fix it at some future point, I'll need to replace the speakers (since removing the screen without doing any soldering will probably involve breaking some wires), right? Actually, if I just take the screen AND speakers out and just put the new screen in, that'd work too, right?

It's not just difficulty I'm worried about - if I spend fifteen bucks on a case replacement, fifteen on a new top screen, and twenty or more on soldering supplies, then it's not even that much cheaper than letting Nintendo repair it for 75 bucks.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
$20 on 'soldering supplies' is a bit pessimistic - if you are careful you might not even need to use any extra solder.

Although if you don't have a soldering iron, that could be a problem, though you can get a cheap soldering iron for much less than $20.

Your choice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff