Gaming Disable GBC/GB Stretching

FanmadeEndings

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm pretty sure since L and R buttons aren't used in gbc games you can't disable it without disabling the button completely.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it is hardware based and there is no firmware you can mess with but at the same time I don't know if there is a jumper somewhere you can solder, or a pin you can lift.

What might be easier if you absolutely need such things and are not willing to break the button is put a toggle switch in there somewhere that can effectively disable the L button (and while you are at it you might as well make a rapid fire version). Alternatively you could turn that rapid fire thing to the R button and effectively make the L button unpressable.

Potato Paste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...don't press the L button?
See I have a problem with my hands. These are pretty big hands. No other problems except I accedently press L when playing so its super annoying.

I know it is hardware based and there is no firmware you can mess with but at the same time I don't know if there is a jumper somewhere you can solder, or a pin you can lift.

What might be easier if you absolutely need such things and are not willing to break the button is put a toggle switch in there somewhere that can effectively disable the L button (and while you are at it you might as well make a rapid fire version). Alternatively you could turn that rapid fire thing to the R button and effectively make the L button unpressable.

I see. Do you have any recommendations on how to make a rapid fire button? I might just get another GBA and pull out the L and R buttons just for playing GB/C games

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rapid fire is just a voltage (try and make it the same as the one that was going in originally) that turns on and off however many times a second (or does some fancy pattern if you prefer that for a given game).
Find something that does that and wire it in. It was more that if you are already playing with the traces then it is easy enough so you might as well.

If you just want a disable switch then so be it.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe open it up and stick some non-conductive material between the button and contact. Granted you'd probably have to take it out so you could use the button in GBA games unless you have another system for GBA.

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
best bet would be sever the connection to the L R buttons by unsoldering the legs and bend one out, resolder the other leg and switch back in place, then using a switch with 3 posts (can buy or recycle off most thing) something like this, the orange box is a top view I guess of the trigger buttons solder points, black box at top is the trigger button and the red box is the switch. you would need 2 switches though for each button, there might be an easier way with just one switch but I would require something a bit more creative

EDIT: in fact you could probably use a 6 pin switch, so you'd do something similar to below except you're connecting the 2 ground pins from the buttons to on row on the switch then the other lines back to the board, the 5 and 6 pin on the switch are not wired to anything, that is making sure you get a switch that seperates all 6 lines and not a double up in pairs.

9boqCcC.png

IF you can find a 6 pin switch wireing like this should work unsolder the leg wire the LEG!! to the switch, then resolder wires from the switch to the hole on the board its self, effectively you want a switch with all 6 legs separated but one position will set the connection for 4 legs at a time if that makes sense?

3mfg09p.jpg

Last edited by linkinworm,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte