Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Which DIOS MIOS did you use?
What really happens? you said it doesn't "show", but it's not helpful.

- The games are not listed at all in the loader? if they are not listed, maybe his setting for "Main GameCube Path" is still on SD card.
Or you didn't place your ISO in the correct path and filename.
- No DIOS MIOS splash screen? (stay on a blackscreen) Did you try inserting a disc in the drive?
- His Wii is the same region, same video settings? (launch but you don't see picture, you hear sound and can play it blind)

Maybe it's just a random problem from initializing the HDD. I have this problem myself, sometime DM doesn't show the splash screen because it's trying to access the HDD first, but is in a HDD reset loop.

If you have a big enough SD card, I recommend DML2.2 (update1).

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@Cyan Sorry man this is a noob question, I finally got a new hard drive and been copying my games there and all, don't ask the past three month was hell for me, anyway I wanna use DM and I installed the wad but now if I try to boot a GC game I get a message asking if I wanna copy to SD, how do I make it run right off the Hard Drive? Sorry I also don't have time to test every minute so sometimes I may be asking weird questions until things settle in our house!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@[member='sonictopfan']:
So you are using USBGX, you need the newer beta (latest release 3.0 was released just before DIOS MIOS, thus it doesn't support USB yet).
I added USB support later, in beta revisions only.
use r1201 or newer.

And be sure to specify in the settings that your "Main GameCube Path" is on USB. But it should already be set like that if it's asking you to move it to SD.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@[member='sonictopfan']:
So you are using USBGX, you need the newer beta (latest release 3.0 was released just before DIOS MIOS, thus it doesn't support USB yet).
I added USB support later, in beta revisions only.
use r1201 or newer.

And be sure to specify in the settings that your "Main GameCube Path" is on USB. But it should already be set like that if it's asking you to move it to SD.

Thanks I'll see if I can test them now and I'll get back to you!

superkrups20056

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which DIOS MIOS did you use?
What really happens? you said it doesn't "show", but it's not helpful.

- The games are not listed at all in the loader? if they are not listed, maybe his setting for "Main GameCube Path" is still on SD card.
Or you didn't place your ISO in the correct path and filename.
- No DIOS MIOS splash screen? (stay on a blackscreen) Did you try inserting a disc in the drive?
- His Wii is the same region, same video settings? (launch but you don't see picture, you hear sound and can play it blind)

Maybe it's just a random problem from initializing the HDD. I have this problem myself, sometime DM doesn't show the splash screen because it's trying to access the HDD first, but is in a HDD reset loop.

If you have a big enough SD card, I recommend DML2.2 (update1).

-The games that we downloaded from the internet, which were manually put in the same folder (usb1://games) as the ripped GameCube discs, are the only ones that are being listed in USB Loader GX.
-The Main GameCube path is set to usb1://games
-The ripped ISOs were placed in usb1://games by USB Loader GX
-I know we have to keep a disc inserted into the drive to play GameCube games, and I keep a disc in the drive at all times while starting a GameCube game under DIOS MIOS. Sometimes it doesn't boot and stays on a black screen (no sound), sometimes it totally powers off the Wii. I'd say it works 1/2 of the time.

I might be some random problem.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to place the games here:
usb1:/games/Game titles you want[ID6 it's better with it]/game.iso
you need to change only the blue part, example:

usb1:/games/Zelda Wind Waker PAL [GZLP01]/game.iso

About the "no splash" and Wii shutting down, it's random.
Try again until it works. It's related to USB detection. That's why I said if you can, use SD card and DML.

superkrups20056

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to place the games here:
usb1:/games/Game titles you want[ID6 it's better with it]/game.iso
you need to change only the blue part, example:

USB Loader GX does this automatically to ripped game, so they should be showing up! I have no idea why the ones I added manually are the only ones showing up! Anyways, thanks for the help. I'll keep trying different things.

sk0ld

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Discex's compression seems not to affect the reading speed.
But the extracted files with gcreex seems make it faster because the files are read from the FAT32 FS not from the .ISO FS.
Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case with hard drives due to random access times being much slower. For SD cards you are right.
Yeah I found gcreex to be much, much, slower from usb than just using the original iso's, I don't have a compatible SD card to compare with that.
It was so slow in fact that the games were very unhappy. I can see that it saves space, but I don't have enough games to care about that. I'd rather they work.
If the game files are scattered on the HDD clearly be a much slower reading in comparison with a .iso file.
But if the game files are concatenated would then be faster than the .iso file even in a HDD.
[b]code.google.com/p/diosmios/[/b] said:
DIOS MIOS (DM) Format your USB devices 1st primary partition to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size or less. DM is looking on USB port 0 first, so if it takes a long time for the splash screen to appear, connect your device to the other port. If no splash screen appears at all, your HDD (usually the USB controller device is at fault not the HDD itself) is probably not supported. Slow HDDs seem to prove problematic for the faster FST (GCReEx) format, so try .ISO (DiscEX) first.
The truth is though, I'm still not sure whether the hdd or the USB controller is to blame. %99 of titles will run faster in FST format, IF your USB is quick enough to handle it. Before his Wii setup broke, crediar was even using a 5400 rpm hdd (which usually mean low seek times) and he obviously had no problems with the FST format

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
@Cyan I tried the latest USBLoader GX R1201 and it still asks me to copy to the SD, I also tried DML Boater and despite the slowdown in viewing the games off the USB it gives me the "Fatal error" message on splash screen and doesn't work, is there a way to get them to run off the hard drive or shall I go back to DML (SD)?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Check the Credit page in USBGX, it will tell you what it detected (DM or DMLite).
If you use DM it shouldn't ask you to copy to SD.

Edit:
Maybe you are not launching the correct version.
If you launch the "Full Channel", it will still launch version 3.0, not the one you have on your SD card!
Launch the "Forwarder Channel" or use the Homebrew Channel.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Check the Credit page in USBGX, it will tell you what it detected (DM or DMLite).
If you use DM it shouldn't ask you to copy to SD.

Edit:
Maybe you are not launching the correct version.
If you launch the "Full Channel", it will still launch version 3.0, not the one you have on your SD card!
Launch the "Forwarder Channel" or use the Homebrew Channel.

No it's the .dol, I removed the Channel version long time ago, and yes I'm pretty sure it's the latest but I gotta check again in the morning to see if it's DML and not DM!

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
And does it run, or the disc swap happen? It's an interesting concept, as i'd expect it would save space for multi disc games (shared resources and such), and solve the swapping question. Maybe that's the way crediar want's to go with this.
I haven't reached the end of Disc 1 to test it yet and I haven't felt like d/loading a save file, so once I run through the game I'll post the results here, pretty much from what I've gathered I'll be able to save prior to the disc swap and I'll have to reboot/re-start and launch disc but I'll find out soon enough ;-)
Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case with hard drives due to random access times being much slower. For SD cards you are right.

Yeah I found gcreex to be much, much, slower from usb than just using the original iso's, I don't have a compatible SD card to compare with that.
It was so slow in fact that the games were very unhappy. I can see that it saves space, but I don't have enough games to care about that. I'd rather they work.
If you want to save space you can just use DiscEX with the -c option to keep the ISO format. I use GCReEx for the increased access time benefits, F-Zero GX for example loads lightning fast, it was a bit shocking at first, while at the same time also compressing and saving space. It however does break compatibility with some games so just make sure you check the wiki for problematic games, not that many. I use latest DM 2.2.

CaptainZef

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@CaptainZef:
Which version of DIOS MIOS and which version of USBGX?
you need USBGX 1201 > go to setting > loader setting > DM(L) version > specify which version of DM(L) is installed.
Or wait for 1202 which have version auto-detection.
well, it's the loader you linked a page or two ago, and DIOS MIOS 2.2. i'd try again but it's saying it's not reading the fat32/ntfs/wbfs drive or whatever, ill report back soon

Lord Coolman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
crediar should die in a hole. I couldn't finish Mario Kart Arcade GP due to lack of credits. 16 cups. Normal mode and special mode completed, 4 cups in 150cc hidden mode with golden karts and ridiculous speed. Why he didn't implement "Freeplay" or an "Add-credit" button? :Crying in a corner:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
crediar should die in a hole. I couldn't finish Mario Kart Arcade GP due to lack of credits. 16 cups. Normal mode and special mode completed, 4 cups in 150cc hidden mode with golden karts and ridiculous speed. Why he didn't implement "Freeplay" or an "Add-credit" button? :Crying in a corner:
Your fault for wasting credit! :lol:
But, yeah, it's too bad that they don't have a save system. (some arcade games have memory Cards system ;))

It's not to quadforce to patch credits system, it just grant enough resources to play the iso you give.

There's a patched modified ISO with infinite credits.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your fault for wasting credit! :lol:
But, yeah, it's too bad that they don't have a save system. (some arcade games have memory Cards system ;))

It's not to quadforce to patch credits system, it just grant enough resources to play the iso you give.

There's a patched modified ISO with infinite credits.

i had no idea that people were playing this WITHOUT infinite credits ... i figured quadforced started off the games at 99 credits...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: It was in yours actually :D:tpi::rofl2: