DIOS MIOS Headaches

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by FPSRussi4, Feb 21, 2014.

1. FPSRussi4
    OP

FPSRussi4 Clean up your act and cut the crap.

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    So I followed guides, installed DM(not lite) as a WAD using WAD Manager, patched IOS 36, and downloaded WiiFlow. WHen I get to Wii flow, I click on the gamecube button, and then I see my gamecube ISO, with a cover, an ID, and the gamecube start-up sound. However, right after, nothing. How long should i wait for it to load/What is the problem?

2. bm123456

bm123456 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 7, 2011
    United States
    Houston
    Try Dios Mios booter version 30 . Just goggle it

3. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    Same thing: ISO visible, nothing happens. Will try with a different ISO.

4. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    Nope, not working. Tried 3 different ISO's using DMtoolbox.

5. bm123456

Jun 7, 2011
    United States
    Houston
    Check the compatibility list verify it is a known working game first . Make sure your memory card is in slot A . Also try a rollback version dm2.6 or dm2.4 seem to be the best

6. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    At least 2 of the titles are confirmed to be working. Rollback of the booter or DM?

7. bm123456

Jun 7, 2011
    United States
    Houston
  8. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    Now i can't uninstall DM!

9. bm123456

Jun 7, 2011
    United States
    Houston
    Why not ? Error would help
    Make sure your hdd is fat32 with 32kb clusters if not it will not work also make sure you are installing the correct version Dios Mios is USB only , Dios Mios lite sd only

10. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    This part is pretty important. If your harddrive isn't properly formatted you'll have nothing but issues trying to run the ISO's. Also, you don't have to uninstall DiosMios, just install another Mios over it. Sometimes I would have to install a different Mios a few times before I finally got rid of it completely. (I'm not sure why.)

Once you got the HDD formatted correctly, you could also run into problems with specific ISO's. I have certain ISO's that won't run unless there's a dummy disc in the Wii's disc drive. (the need for the dummy disc isn't because the ISO is bad, it's because of a compatibility issue with DiosMios) And I've come across other ISO's that wouldn't run simply because it was a bad dump. But those were few and far between. Please give us a more detailed description of exactly what errors you're seeing, or having.

11. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    This is a very specific answer, but I once had the same problem you are having, and the issue was an exception to a rule. Inherently, Devolution should support any hard drive that has a usb 3.0/2.0 cable. However, for whatever reason, my 1tb Seagate Goflex HDD (this model specifically had this issue, I've helped others with the same HDD and sure enough this solution worked for them too), the included usb 3.0/2.0 cable had some sort of issue with it. It seemed as if it didn't work at all. I downgraded the cable to a strictly USB 2.0 cable, and that was actually the solution. I think this may indeed be the problem with most (if not all) cases of HDDs not working with Dios Mios (so long as everything on the HDD is setup properly and you get nothing when you launch a GC game), but don't quote me on that last part. This was the specific cable I bought that solved my issue (note that this auction is over, but just search for the same cable and you should be able to locate it if this is indeed the solution you too do need): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-STA...h=item3a7e3f4e2c&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

12. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    It's FAT32 all right, unsure about clusters, how can I check? Tried putting in dummy disc, and I already stated that I tried 3 ISO's, all of which work with Dolphin but not DIOS MIOS. That's the most specific I can go, because there's no error code or anything. It just gives me the option to boot the ISO, I hit boot, fades to black ,then nothing.

13. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    Thank you for your advice, but I'm not using a cable, I have a USB Drive and an SD Card.

14. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    EaseUS Partition Master (there's a FREE version) is the application I used to format my drive. It'll show you the sector size, which I always assumed was similar to cluster size, but I've heard in the past others say that sectors and clusters are different. I know that on an NTFS drive the values for both are different, but in my experience with FAT drives the values for clusters and sectors always seemed to be equal.

So after you install the program, start it up, and choose "Partition Manager". Another screen will pop up showing you a list of all the drives available on your Computer. Look for the Wii's drive.. (It'll have to be plugged in to your computer obviously) Once you spot your drive, be aware of where you click. You're going to want to click and highlight the area that shows your Drive letter (E:, F:, G:, etc..) and not the area that says "Disc # (MBR)". Once your drive letter is highlighted, right-click and select "View properties". Instantly your properties window should appear. In this window you should see 3 tabs, click on the tab that says "FAT Info" and look for "First FAT Sector:" and "Reserved sectors:". The values for my drive says 32. And every time I've formatted a drive as FAT32 with 32kb clusters, those two values were always 32.

15. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    I'm getting 4 digit numbers, what should I do to fix this?

16. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    As far as I know you can't change the cluster size without reformatting the entire drive. So you'd want to temporarily transfer all of the files you'd like to save from your current drive to a different one. Then reformat your drive as FAT32 with 32kb clusters. (I'd use EaseUS for this since it lets you specifically choose which cluster size you want.)

Once that's done, open up EaseUS again and make sure the drive type is "Primary" (if for some reason it isn't already) then set it as "Active". View your properties one last time to make sure your sector size is 32. If all looks good, transfer all your files back over, and you should be set.

17. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    Nevermind, I got it. Will retry everything now and report back.

18. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    Update: Using Wiiflow, no matter which ISO I load and convert with a game ID, it still shows Star Fox: Assualt, and when booted goes to a black screen.
    Little more luck with the DIOS MIOS Booter: Here I can the the name of the ISO, but when I click on it to boot up, the screen also goes to black.
    Used multiple ISO's, all of which have been tested with Dolphin, formatted USB to FAT32 with 32K clusters, installed DIOS MIOS 10, uninstalled 10 and installed 6(Now I can't uninstall 6, so I have 2 DIOS MIOS WAD's?), and I have a dummy disk in the drive(SSBB.).

19. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    I'm not sure exactly what guides you followed so I'm just gonna start from the beginning. Only because when you talked about converting and changing the name of the ISO files, it raised a red flag.

1 - Converting: I'm not sure how you're obtaining your ISO's (whether you're finding the files online or backing them up from your own discs) but either way you shouldn't have to convert them. The file should be fine the way it is, unless you wanted to shrink them to try and save disc space, but that's something else all together.

2 - Renaming: You DO need to rename them, but you don't need any special tool to do it. You just select the ISO file on your PC, right-click, and rename the file right from there. So say the file is "StarFox-Assault.iso" you'd rename it to "game.iso" Every single GC ISO file will be named "game.iso", and because of this you will have to place each "game.iso" file into it's own individual folder. From there you can name the game folder whatever you want. For naming the folders, I usually follow the format "Name [GAMEID6]". So lets say for Star Fox Assault, I'd name the folder "Star Fox Assault [GF7E01]". But honestly I don't think it matters how you name the folder. All you need to remember is that each ISO file will need it's very own folder.

3 - Location: Now that you have the ISO files renamed and placed in their own folders, you'll take all those folders and drop them into a single folder that's just simply named "games". Then place the "games" folder in the root directory of your harddrive.

That should have you covered for file names and locations. And it seems that you've already formatted the harddrive correctly. So you should be set. As far as Dios Mios, I recommend installing the newest version (2.10). Yes it'll have some compatibility issues with certain ISO's, but it's easily the most complete version of DM.

If you're installing the DIOSMIOS 2.10 wad (not lite), and you're running everything from WiiFlow, then you don't need anything Dios Mios related on your SD card at all.

20. FPSRussi4
    OP

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    my bad! I wasn't sure what the process is called, but I'm using the DM toolbox, taking an iso. letting the tool do its magic, then copying over the Entire folder onto my USB. So right now my ISO is located in USB:/games/GAMEID/game.iso. Also running DM 2.10, however I also installed 2.6, and can't uninstall 2.6 now.