Hacking DIOS MIOS! GC ISO Loader proof of concept (Starfox Assault)

• Thread starter Deleted-171178
  • Start date
  • Views 149,818
  • Replies 682
Status
Not open for further replies.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
One of the reason why crediar doesn't want to release DIOSMIOS (can it be named more perfect than that?) is piracy.
That's the funny reason. Having USB loaders and drive modchips people can load Wii games either from DVD-R or from HDD. What's the point to care about GC games in this case? Almost no one sells original DVD with GC games today.

More over: WODE allows to load GC games from USB/SD without softmoding at all.
Since WODE is the only way to load GC from USB - manufacturer has big sales now. To be honest, most of users play GC/Wii games they didn't buy. => Manufacturers of modchips earn their money from piracy anyway.

Crediar can not stop piracy, but if he concerns about it, then he can reduce piracy business greately (if not kill it completely) by providing free alternative.

By the way, Nintendo doesn't distinguish homebrew from piracy anyway. While Team Twiizers, Crediar and others trying say "we are homebrewers, and do not support piracy", Nintendo erases bootmii, HBC, priiloader with every new update. Why don't forget about fight with piracy? Just don't mind about piracy and, and just do whatever want. Let appropriate companies fight with piracy by them self.

That's my thoughts.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Gosh, leave him alone. If he doesn't want to release it, and you can't respect this, just shut up. His work, his decision. Is it so hard to accept?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SanGor said:
problem with quoting stuff that if the source gets updated the quote stays oudated.

Understand that, but it's also the problem with not quoting. Comments on a particular section which were relevant at the time look idiotic when people read the thread back through no fault of either party.

Sorry, I totally get why he doesn't want it rehosted, but going as far as stopping quotes would make it very hard for people to have a conversation about it at all. It's why copyright has fair use clauses. I think I'm starting to sound an arsehole now though so I'll shut up.

sorgelig said:
One of the reason why crediar doesn't want to release DIOSMIOS (can it be named more perfect than that?) is piracy.
That's the funny reason. Having USB loaders and drive modchips people can load Wii games either from DVD-R or from HDD. What's the point to care about GC games in this case? Almost no one sells original DVD with GC games today.

Go to any second hand games shop. You can pick up 10-15 of some of the best games of the last gen for less than a new Wii game. And then you'll have most of the decent games for the GC
wink.gif

By the way, Nintendo doesn't distinguish homebrew from piracy anyway. While Team Twiizers, Crediar and others trying say "we are homebrewers, and do not support piracy", Nintendo erases bootmii, HBC, priiloader with every new update. Why don't forget about fight with piracy? Just don't mind about piracy and, and just do whatever want. Let appropriate companies fight with piracy by them self.

That's my thoughts.

But that's not the point. They/we have got to be especially diligent about making a distinction between hacking for homebrew and hacking for piracy exactly because Nintendo don't.

XLarge

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I predict this will be released/leaked eventually and if that happens another developer will finish this project

jorgebus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
OncleJulien said:
jorgebus said:
well, sadly, he won't release it, or at least that is what he posted on rvlution...

isn't it ironic?
ironic? i dunno, did it slip out of his hand as he was saying he wouldn't release it?
i dindn't make myself clear, i was talking about the whole situation, not just his post.
and it's ironic, because of the importance that it could meant to the scene. Even though, it is important already.

jorgebus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
cwstjdenobs said:
Go to any second hand games shop. You can pick up 10-15 of some of the best games of the last gen for less than a new Wii game. And then you'll have most of the decent games for the GC
wink.gif

Here I can't do that, only copies in my city.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you buy a new Wii, you need to buy something to play GC backups. If he would release his loader, you wouldn't need to do that. And as we all know, pirates don't like spending money ==> the release would increase GC piracy. So not try to argue on that.

About the donations: To me Crediar's behavior is completely reasonable, he is doing the project for himself not for others, so he can do whatever he wants. I'm sure if he would have gotten enough money, he would have released it or at least plan to do it. Since he didn't get "enough" money, he sees himself in a debt to the donator, so he gives him beta access. What's not to understand here?

PS: I'm sorry for all the false information i spread, i seriously didn't know better

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
QUOTE said:
You didn't get the point. I wanted to say that piracy won't hurt GC game developers because GC business has been shut down long time ago. That games you will buy for almost nothing won't reward developers. It's just re-selling.
It's like buying NES games. Even you will buy some cartridge now - it will be just replica from chinese manufacturer => the same piracy. Original developers/companies won't get money from NES/SNES/GC games anyway.

QUOTEpirates don't like spending money ==> the release would increase GC piracy.
Wrong thought. Pirates are not spending money. They are earning money. Pirating is the business. It's not sharing games between friends as you may think. And as long as modchips will bring money for their manufacturers - pirates will interest in it.
From end-user view, either modchip or softmod - it doesn't matter. Buyng modchip for 40-100 USD is just a small money for big convenience. As long as there is way to pay once and get as many games as you want - price even up to console's price doesn't matter much. So, if somebody wants to launch copy of GC or Wii game - he will do this by either way.

The big question is: "will pirating business earn money from this or not?"
Currently - yes.

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Mid123 said:
So Crediar wont be using his gc loader for piracy?I highly doubt that.
Sometimes it's more interesting to make something which havent's been made before by anyone. Using even your own application doesn't bring the same fun
smile.gif

and of course, everybody are using strictly games they legally bought
rolleyes.gif

Hardcoded region free patch for system menu in SNEEK is pure accident
wink.gif

Razor1993

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NO!!!
Credia wanted to realeas DIOS MIOS!
but not regular!
he will bundle it in SNEEK!!!
(I THINK)

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in shock at how many crap posts are in this topic now (this one included)

Crediar has given us lots os things already so I'm shocked to see some people "having a go" at him, this sort of attitude stops a LOT of devs from releasing things.

At the end of the day, he can do what he wants with HIS code and so far the guys been a gem and gave us plenty.

Lets stop talking about piracy and will he wont he release this. He has proved the impossible
tongue.gif
CAN be done and I'm sure other devs out there can do the same, but will they want to for so many ungreatful people ?

I have a question for Crediar (if he is reading), I dont expect an answer but would love him to think it over himself..... what will he do next....after this and SNEEK what is left to do ? I can think of some things like proper handling of banners etc in homebrew, but imho it would be a bit of a step down from the monumental apps he has made thus far.

and for Nintendo staffers...why the fook have you guys not gave him a high paid job ? It kinda makes your company look a bit thick, if you had him on board for the next N console I'm sure he would be worth every penny.

Now can people please use this thread to talk about what this means..... real time editing of ocarina codes in GC, overclocking, emulation of GC mem cards (I know he wont do it), a SOFTmod way of handling the streaming audio (which CAN be done, maybe).

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slimmmmmm said:
Crediar has given us lots os things already so I'm shocked to see some people "having a go" at him, this sort of attitude stops a LOT of devs from releasing things.

I was talking with a dev recently and the dev shared that same point of view. When someone (dev) releases something everyone appreciate him and defend him to no end then if the person (dev) fails or does not do things as people expected it is the most hated individual on Earth.

So what drives people to appreciate someone (dev) without having in mind that "hypocrisy" is at work?

Things should be like this:

If Crediar releases something he should be respected
If Crediar does not releases something he should be respected.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thinking about it I'm not surprised that all the other hardware is accessible from the ARM side in GC mode. Starlet is an SoC and if the ARM core can run then all the other hardware on there should too.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slimmmmmm said:
I'm in shock at how many crap posts are in this topic now (this one included)

At the end of the day, he can do what he wants with HIS code and so far the guys been a gem and gave us plenty.

Lets stop talking about piracy and will he wont he release this. He has proved the impossible
tongue.gif
CAN be done and I'm sure other devs out there can do the same, but will they want to for so many ungreatful people ?

I have a question for Crediar (if he is reading), I dont expect an answer but would love him to think it over himself..... what will he do next....after this and SNEEK what is left to do ? I can think of some things like proper handling of banners etc in homebrew, but imho it would be a bit of a step down from the monumental apps he has made thus far.

and for Nintendo staffers...why the fook have you guys not gave him a high paid job ? It kinda makes your company look a bit thick, if you had him on board for the next N console I'm sure he would be worth every penny.

Now can people please use this thread to talk about what this means..... real time editing of ocarina codes in GC, overclocking, emulation of GC mem cards (I know he wont do it), a SOFTmod way of handling the streaming audio (which CAN be done, maybe).

What's next is the full system menu replacement. Complete CFW for the wii. that will be the day. native usb support in the system menu. fully emulated nand being read from sd or usb. that is the ultimate goal for wii programming in my opinion. system menu 5.0-CRD

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, Crediar was doing a system menu replacement called Freedom. That project was halted and eventually SNEEK came up in its place.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I dont get the point of posting things to Crediar here as he is never going to read them. If you have something to say, join rvolution.net and do some postings there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back