Hacking dios mios can it be installed on vwii

moc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can dios mios wad be installed on the vwii to enable the playing of gamecube games through usbloader gx,
i had this installed on my old wii and was wondering if anyone had installed this on vwii. Thanks

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Not having GameCube ports is obvious.....

BUT....

This is a very interesting question, can it be installed and load a game (you couldn't play obviously)
I'm not familiar with nand of a vWii in the WiiU and if it has BC/mIOS etc, and if they can be installed/edited

moc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I totally forgot about he different controller due to using a wavebird wireless controller on the wii which uses a wireless receiver which had been left in the wii for 3 years totally forgot about that, thanks

n1ckn4m3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he was talking about vWii, not Wii U...

That's an odd thing to say considering there has not been any announcements relating to homebrew running directly on the WiiU. It was assumed he meant in vWii mode and the answer given was relating to vWii mode. Regardless, the answer is the same. Dios Mios does not work on the WiiU, either through vWii mode or through WiiU mode.

Reactions: Hero-Link

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's an odd thing to say considering there has not been any announcements relating to homebrew running directly on the WiiU. It was assumed he meant in vWii mode and the answer given was relating to vWii mode. Regardless, the answer is the same. Dios Mios does not work on the WiiU, either through vWii mode or through WiiU mode.

Never mind what i said!

I was thinking about Devolution! stupid me... i'll fix the corresponding post.

Thanks for alerting me ;)

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I hear devolution is being developed to run on the Wii U (IN VWII MODE) but until that version is released by the dev, you cannot get devolution on the Wii U (IN VWII MODE) for the same reason I posted above

Reactions: n1ckn4m3

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to code it for the WiiU, they would have to either find a workaround for the drive (tried to use cleanrip to rip a disk to HDD and it just spits it back out) or get rid of the DRM they implimented

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The last thing i see is the devolution working with a usb keyboard to play the games. It is not working on vwii?

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I hear devolution is being developed to run on the Wii U (IN VWII MODE) but until that version is released by the dev, you cannot get devolution on the Wii U (IN VWII MODE) for the same reason I posted above

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Devolution would be able to at least load a game on a Wii U right now, assuming that you had some way to bypass/crack the anti-piracy protection on it. This video seems to suggest that, anyway. However, you wouldn't be able to progress any further in the game since there isn't support for the Wii Remote in any version of Devolution currently available to the public.

DIOS MIOS is a completely different program (runs in GameCube mode, whereas Devolution runs in Wii mode). Because of that, I doubt that DIOS MIOS will ever work on the Wii U.

Warlord698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how exactly is Dios Mios running in game cube while using SD/USB support when the gamecube had no SD/USB access to load the games from, it's running in Wii Mode but without the patches for controllers and such

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how exactly is Dios Mios running in game cube while using SD/USB support when the gamecube had no SD/USB access to load the games from, it's running in Wii Mode but without the patches for controllers and such

According to tueidj...

Did somebody say audio streaming?

DIOS MIOS runs in gamecube mode, scans for a bunch of specific functions when the game starts and patches them. Devolution runs direct from HBC like any other homebrew app and executes the game in a virtual environment - all wii hardware is still available and any patching is dynamic (as the code is executed).
It would be completely feasible for nintendo to do it, especially with the extra "mini" cores on the new CPU. Plus I'm sure they'd have more than one guy working one day a week on it.

Plus, I think that this post by SifJar explains it far better than I could...

DM is a MIOS based hack, and as such, runs in GC mode. Devolution runs in Wii mode. They may achieve similar purposes (to an extent), but they are very, very different programs. DM can't be "improved" to a point where it is level with Devolution; it's just completely different. DM can't have some features existing in (or planned for) Devolution. For example, I don't believe audio streaming can be implemented in DM, because of a lack of resources. There are also reports of some games having smoother frame rates etc. in Devolution, due to them being run with additional processing power. In addition, it's possible (and indeed has been demonstrated on video) that Devolution could work on the WiiU; DM is quite unlikely to work there I believe.

Of course, for warez kiddies who just want to play their pirated GC games, DM does the job fine. But for the best GC experience possible on the Wii, it's always going to be Devolution (and I include official GC compatibility in that).

Basically...

DIOS MIOS = uses a MIOS hack (GameCube mode)
Devolution = uses IOS58 and HW_AHBPROT access (Wii mode)

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devolution still depends on gamecube mode being present and working due to the fact that the Wii just doesn't have the power to emulate the gamecube (3rd party emulators, for reasons that I don't care to get into)

xsp

r30y162part2
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not emulation. It's binary compatibility. Neither of these programs emulate the Gamecube. The Wii is a Gamecube, albeit a faster one. Dios Mios is a program that, simply put, translates Disc to Disk calls. It tricks the Wii into thinking that we're loading a GC disc. Devolution uses Wii IOS to run the games and limits the CPU and memory. Even then, a lot of games have issues and patches are applied to make them run correctly. Devolution will run on any Wii that has the homebrew channel. No other modifcations are needed. This is why it should run on the Wii U without much trouble. It's important to note that the extra memory and CPU cycles that aren't used running Wii games is what allows Devolution to access USB or SD drives, anti-piracy measures, etc... There is no emulation taking place. It's very similar to compatibility mode with older versions of Windows. Dios Mios needs GC mode because it is a hack of it. Devolution does not.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not emulation. It's binary compatibility. Neither of these programs emulate the Gamecube. The Wii is a Gamecube, albeit a faster one. Dios Mios is a program that, simply put, translates Disc to Disk calls. It tricks the Wii into thinking that we're loading a GC disc. Devolution uses Wii IOS to run the games and limits the CPU and memory. Even then, a lot of games have issues and patches are applied to make them run correctly. Devolution will run on any Wii that has the homebrew channel. No other modifcations are needed. This is why it should run on the Wii U without much trouble. It's important to note that the extra memory and CPU cycles that aren't used running Wii games is what allows Devolution to access USB or SD drives, anti-piracy measures, etc... There is no emulation taking place. It's very similar to compatibility mode with older versions of Windows. Dios Mios needs GC mode because it is a hack of it. Devolution does not.

With those AP measures...yep, good luck telling people they have to verify the legit copies of said games on the Wii U disc drive. Either AP will have to be rewritten or removed, there's no way for Wii U systems to read gamecube discs, so yeah.

Reactions: Warlord698

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
"GameCube Mode" on the Wii is just the Wii running software that changes how the Wii hardware works.

You could install BC, mIos etc and have a working "GameCube Mode" on a vWii without controllers ports of mem card slots so in theory with some changes either can run on vWii on the WiiU.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"GameCube Mode" on the Wii is just the Wii running software that changes how the Wii hardware works.

You could install BC, mIos etc and have a working "GameCube Mode" on a vWii without controllers ports of mem card slots so in theory with some changes either can run on vWii on the WiiU.

With no Boot1/2, that wont work as BC mode invokes them (i forgot if its both or just one of the two), which
means vWii wont be able to soft "reboot" into Gamecube mode.
even if you did manage to hack together something, the disk drive wont read gc disks and with no controller ports, you have no way to even interact with GC games/homebrew if you were able even run anything at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1