Hacking Dios Mios black screen

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed DIOS MIOS (not lite), and messed with my hard drive enough to get it to not throw an error about the partition, but now after hitting load it just goes to a black screen and hangs forever. I'm using the most current version of USB Loader GX, and DM2.10. I tried running it with and without a disc in the drive, and from both GX and from the disc channel. Both give a black screen, no DM splash screen, no game.

How can I fix this to play games from the USB drive?
If all else fails how can I just get the disc channel working?
And what information (and how do I get it) do I need to give to help you help me?

wafflewrestler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm no expert, but it might be an issue with your harddrive. I am running USB Loader GX r1218 and DM 2.10 and having very little issues. Another idea is the games you are trying to run aren't compatible with DM...? Check out this list: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Compatibility_List
If no luck, I would suggest getting your isos in another way. Coolrom.com is good, also emuparadise.com. Make sure you legally own the disc though, otherwise it would be considered illegal. I also know cleanrip is good, but if you are having issues with your wii disc drive that is no help. Are you using GCIT to prepare your games for your hdd? I highly recommend it. http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/gcit.html
Last thing I want to mention, if you want to get your disc channel working even though you have DM installed, you will want to download something called wiigator (i believe). It's been a while since I downloaded it, so sorry for not having a source. It is a WAD file that allows you to use your disc drive even with DM installed (this will probably fix your disc channel issue)

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I am positive my hard drive is formatted correctly. I tried playing Pokemon Colosseum, the Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc, and Super Mario Sunshine, all of them are on the compatibility list as working. The pokemon games I got from the internet, but the mario game I ripped myself with GX's game installer. I used DMToolbox that was included in the DM download to add the pokemon games. I'll look into wiigator.

D4v3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same issue with Dios Mios 2.10 so I can't help you there but if you want to make your genuine discs work in the disc drive again follow these instructions:

"if you want to be able to ONLY play original GameCube games again, all you have to do is install a clean MIOSv10, which can be obtained via ModMii. Then, get a wad manager (also available through ModMii if you don't have one at hand) and install the clean MIOSv10 with it. There you go, originals, but not backups, should be working again. If not, then you probably have to install a clean BCv6 as well. Just download it with ModMii like the MIOSv10 and install it with the wad manager."

-
Credit goes to LinkFan16 (http://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-games-wont-load.336588/)

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so with ModMii I can play my gamecube games with the disc channel again. I tried reinstalling DM just to see if installing over a clean mios would fix it, no luck. It still goes to just a black screen when trying to launch a game. I put the clean mios back and can play GC games once again, but I'd really like to get DM working. Is it possible I just have a corrupt DM wad?

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
well i just made to work Dios Mios Once, i recomend you Dios Mios Lite, because i got DML installed (2.6) and i can play games by disc a lot dont want to use it because the SDs are usually in 4, 8, and 16GB and the HDD more than 160GB, check this list http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Lite_Compatibility_List#F update it if you want, maybe the game can run in SD, running games by USB the mios could say app loader file is 0 or something like this remember the gamecube supported SD but no USB maybe thats the problem...

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not interested in DML, I'm somewhat OCD with my games, and want to put the entire gamecube library on my 1TB hard drive, the 2GB SD card I have isn't going to cut it for that. I'm not getting any app loader errors with DM, I don't get any errors or any messages of any kind, just a blank screen. And the gamecube didn't natively support SD cards if that's what you meant by your last sentence.

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
well the gamecube supported SD with an adapter SD gecko i think that was the name, and maybe i cant say everything i want because i dont know english :(, try to use DML at least you won't loose anything and i dont use ' because in spanish we dont use it we use the "ñ" :) if the game run by SD you will have your answer

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose trying DML will tell me if my version of DM is corrupt. If DML works then it's a bad file, if it doesn't then, I'm not sure. It's not a solution, just an information tool. I'd really like to get this completely fixed, I don't think my computer is strong enough for Dolphin and I'd really like to play all the GC games I can't get my hands on, like Sonic Heroes and the Wind Waker.

What is SNEEK and UNEEK? I see on the DM download page there's a SNEEK version and a NAND version, I've been using the nand version so far.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try throwing a GC game on a properly formatted USB stick and try loading from that. If it works, the problem is with the HDD not being compatible. Which is a common issue, DIOS MIOS is quite picky.

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it not liking the hard drive also cause the disc channel to fail? Loading from the USB loader and from the disc channel both gave the same results. I can try that later tonight though

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, well I formatted a 2GB flashdrive to Fat with 32kb clusters, and Sonic Heroes is playing just fine, which means it's my hard drive that DM doesn't like. I'm not sure what I can do to fix that, if anything. If all else fails, I have a 64GB flashdrive I can try using with DM for more game storage, but that's still not going to fit the whole library. I'd be able to play most of the ones I wanted, assuming it works.

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
whole library... how much will you play? how many games you have? well i told you that DML is better than DM, DM haves problem with the hardware and remember the wii its not best tegnology and maybe thats your problem, even some PCs get some problems with disc of 1TB and well i cant understand how the gringos play piracy copies, i guess thats not legal in your country... whatever for a better soluccion you must post your problem in DM page, read that maybe that can help you
"DIOS MIOS (DM) Format your USB devices 1st primary partition to FAT32 with 32KB cluster size or less. DM is looking on USB port 0 first, so if it takes a long time for the splash screen to appear, connect your device to the other port. If no splash screen appears at all, your HDD (usually the USB controller device is at fault not the HDD itself) is probably not supported. Slow HDDs seem to prove problematic for the faster extracted file (FST) format, so try .ISO first."

Rubyheart

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I just wanted to play games I have, I'd use Devolution. The pokemon games I mentioned before, I had but were stolen from me. And how many I would play is irrelevant, the point would be that I could. I'm doing most of this hacking just because I can. I can use the 1TB to play Wii backup games, but apparently DM doesn't like it. It also didn't like my 64GB flashdrive. I have a 4gb flashdrive that can hold two games, but I'm going to try and find an 8gb one to see if that will work. At least I can use DM and Devolution together, so I can store games that work with Devo on the hard drive, and games that don't on the smaller flashdrive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-