Hacking Differents between NTSC and PAL

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is a difference yes....ntsc is the american tv signal and pal is for europe...ntsc tends to run at faster rates while pal tend to be a higher resolution....but what region is your wii?

Clarky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
suppose thats a start, how are you booting the ntsc games then? usb loader? dvd? i would assume the reason its not working is tv cannot handle the ntsc signal or that he needs to use a compentent cable with his wii

Taisukai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clarky said:
suppose thats a start, how are you booting the ntsc games then? usb loader? dvd? i would assume the reason its not working is tv cannot handle the ntsc signal or that he needs to use a compentent cable with his wii
starting with usbloader

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I believe NTSC and PAL has got to do with frequency (if I'm not wrong). American frequency is at 60 Hz, Europe/Australia at 50 Hz.

Taisukai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
I believe NTSC and PAL has got to do with frequency (if I'm not wrong). American frequency is at 60 Hz, Europe/Australia at 50 Hz.
the problem is that i can't play NTSC games but i got Region free wii games enabled

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
USB-Loaders are always Region-Free. You probably just have to force the correct video mode from the settings of your loader and it will work. Just toy around with them. If that doesn't work, force a correct language. Oh, and: This probably depends on the TV too, NTSC-Games play fine here (PAL Wii), without the need to force anything, I just use the default mode from the game and it works.

Also:
QUOTE said:
Blue-K presents: WHAT TO DO IF ONE GAME DOESN'T WORK - A small, handy guide for N00bs

1) Make shure that you have the latest version of the cIOS and the loader (d2x and CFG-Loader prefered). If this isn't the case, update them (for example, with ModMii).
If that doesn't work, then:
2) If you're trying to load an NTSC-Game on a PAL-Wii (or vice versa), try to force a working videomode in the settings from your loader.
3) If you're trying to load a game from another country, which probably hasn't your default langauge in it, try to also force the language which is for shure in the game (again, from the settings of your loader).
4) Try to disable cheats if they are enabled, they can also cause problems and hiccups.
5) Make shure that your dump/pirated copy is fine, by using Wiimms ISO Tools with the VERIFY-command (wit -v verify ). If this isn't the case, dump it again or search for another release.
6) Use the Search to see if others also have this problem, and if it's already fixed. If it's a new game, check the Release-Thread, maybe it's a new protection which needs to be cracked first.
7) You can finally make a topic and ask your question. But only after you've done all this.

And: Thank you for helping us help you help us all.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
NTSC game? Force video mode disc or NTSC.

chris888222 said:

There's also PAL60 for 98% of PAL games, which makes the video mode almost identical with the NTSC one. The colors are said to be different, but since i'm a man, i wouldn't notice when seeing both next to each other.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiPower said:
There's also PAL60 for 98% of PAL games, which makes the video mode almost identical with the NTSC one. The colors are said to be different, but since i'm a man, i wouldn't notice when seeing both next to each other.
more importantly the colour encoding is different
if your display can't decode it it will be greyscale
but most newer ones can handle it

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Progressive scan is the same in both regions.
So if you are running games in PS, it's te same.
All lcd tv can handle PS.

Clarky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just a curious thought, you have not your wii set on that 560i or something have you?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
PAL games often run slower and have distorted music due to the fact that they run at 50fps instead of 60 (and it is the screen refresh rate that apparently determines game execution speed). If you don't believe me, set a PS1 game to run at 90fps in an emulator and watch the game run much faster than normal.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nl255 said:
PAL games often run slower and have distorted music due to the fact that they run at 50fps instead of 60 (and it is the screen refresh rate that apparently determines game execution speed). If you don't believe me, set a PS1 game to run at 90fps in an emulator and watch the game run much faster than normal.

This does'nt apply to game that run progressive.

50/ 60 hz is from days long gone.
For some reason Wii games sometimes only have to 50 hz option.
It's really ONLY of use if you have an older tv.

Also a lot of PAL region VC games run at 50 hz.
Lcd tv's acctually have to do MORE work in order to display these games properly, becuase they will run at 50 hz.

If you have a ntsc game that is progressive and a PAL game that is progressive, there's no ifference anymore.
LCD tv's display images progressively natively ( using component cables is essential for Wii ).
Progressive scan is ALWAYS 60 hz.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hielkenator said:
Progressive scan is the same in both regions.
So if you are running games in PS, it's te same.
All lcd tv can handle PS.

Yes, if you have a component cable and set the wii to use 480p then most ntsc/pal games will run without doing anything special no matter what type of console you have.
Some games don't like progressive though, so it's always easier to get your games from your own region.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Taisukai said:
clarky said:
just a curious thought, you have not your wii set on that 560i or something have you?
what is 560i?
That refers to screen resolution, i.e. the number of pixels on the screen.
Those particular terms are derived from the number of rows of pixels, i.e. how many high.

p means progressive scan, while i stands for interlaced.

480i is normal for NTSC, while it's 480p with Component cables.

560i (or actually 576i I think) is what PAL uses.
The bandwidth saved by reducing the frequency from 60Hz to 50Hz is used to increase the resolution.

While I'm not absolutely sure about this, most PAL TV's support all NTSC quirks like 60Hz and 480p/i, but NTSC TV's are stuck-up and don't support anything PAL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: