Different region versions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Surexius, May 10, 2014.

1. Surexius
    OP

Surexius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2007
    Northern Ireland
    So I'm from the UK I imagine my 3ds system is therefore a European 3ds XL. I have just recently got the gateway and have it up and working. I have a few games and only one of them seems to work, the pokemon game is american version and its one that isn't working. I have my gateway running on emuand mode (if its called that) so it should work no mater what the version right? Or can I only play European versions?

It comes up when I try to run it with the following message

'an error has occoured hold down the POWER button to turn of the power, then turn it on and try again.'

2. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, that's expected behavior.

I'm sure someone here can explain the technical details of why it doesn't work, but in layman's terms, the game itself is region-free, which is why your European 3DS will show an American game at all (as you experienced, the rest just don't show up whatsoever)... but the update portion is still locked to North American systems, therefore as soon as you try to actually start the game, your 3DS doesn't know what to do with that information and errors.

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty sure that you can disable the region check and boot games from other regions just fine on emuNAND, although I can't guide you through the process as I don't have a Gateway myself.

4. drfsupercenter

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Ah, I didn't read that he was using emuNAND.

I can confirm that "Classic Mode" should work with retail X/Y carts, though I have an American 3DS and an American copy of X and Y, so I'm not sure about out-of-region.

5. Surexius
    OP

Surexius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2007
    Northern Ireland
    I wasn't actually talking about the retail versions, I was talking about something I don't think I am allowed to mention on the forums... I'll try downloading another version and see if that works.

6. Surexius
    OP

Surexius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2007
    Northern Ireland
    Wait I have multiple of these files I cannot mention on my gateway. Could that be the issue?

7. tjexp

tjexp Happy New Year!

May 20, 2012
    England
    You mean with the saves? Saves are in the file itself for Pokemon
    If you mean the files then no

8. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Get another source bud there are some dodgy Pokemon X/Y rips out there try to pull the ones that is not zipped up in a file! They seem to work I found out the same problem as you are having along while back. The good Pokemon X/Y rips are out there but very rare, good luck trying to find a copy though :) also beware some rips without the zip files are just the same as the zipped version just unzipped and uploaded. Try and find a Euro rip not a USA rip. Pokemon X Euro 2013 by Contrast unzipped is the best ;)

9. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    The region lock is disabled by default. In fact, there is no way to re-enable it, so any out-of-region game will simply run. I think the issue this hombre has is that he had several differing ROMs of the same game present on the card, which he didn't notice somehow.

cearp likes this.
  10. drfsupercenter

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I use Abstrakt's USA rip and it also works fine. Call me anal but I try to get USA rips since I'm in the USA. They're all the same anyway, even Kirin's Japanese one is identical, since the game is essentially region-free (minus the update)

11. Surexius
    OP

Surexius Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2007
    Northern Ireland
    Yeah I was using files that are like zipped in 4 parts. It was Pokemon X 3ds contrast and lugi's manson venom USA that were giving me problems. I'll try running them separate and see if that works and try a few more random ones.