Hacking different options when using panasonic formatter?

flapmio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Do we need to use any of the different options when formatting the sd card? E.g. Quick format, full format, size adjustment etc?

Thanks

I've seen another post where Catboy suggests this method of formatting:

"You need to format your card with these settings
FORMAT TYPE - FULL (OverWrite) : FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT - ON."

So will try this and see if it helps.

p.s. Does it matter if the card has a volume name or not?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The settings I suggested do matter. I have used it without those settings and did notice some slowdown. I am not sure about the full reason why it makes a difference, I just know it does.

flapmio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, seems they do matter. When i formatted using the default settings i couldn't get past the loading screen, but now it's working perfectly! :yaynds:

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Volume name is unimportant, by the way. I usually name the volume either describing the capacity, or name after what device I'm using it for.

If you want a fancier volume name, or even an Acekard icon when it's plugged in to your computer, you can customize it using an autorun file and an icon -- see this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/topic/213692-icons-for-your-microsd-cards/

You might have to temporarily make sure protected operating system files and hidden files are visible in your Windows Explorer to edit the autorun file.

Opening the autorun.inf manually with notepad should make it obvious where to change the name (the autorun file will be included in the archive with whatever icon you pick).

Changes will not display until the next time you plug it in though.

Reactions: 1 person

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The "Format Size Adjustment" setting never worked for me on all the cards I tested (SD or SDHC). The formatter says that my card in incompatible with this option.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can somehow set an SDHC card (larger than 2GB) to FAT16 and format it incorrectly on purpose (it will only format as much as FAT16 can allocate, and I think that limit's around 2 GB), the format size adjustment may fix it to the appropriate filesystem. not certain -- but i thought i had read that is what that's for, some long time ago.

flapmio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I formatted a Sandisk 8GB SDHC card using the above settings and it's working fine?

p.s. Side topic, the DSi XL is on v1.4.1. Should i update it v1.44 (e.g. to be able to play new games?) or does it not matter?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan and I weren't telling you to do any different. I was just answering something Catboy didn't mention (Volume name doesn't matter, but you can use it to name the drive in Windows if you like.. or even assign an icon to it) and Cyan was pointing out one of the settings might be useless. However forcing an OverWrite format can help if you're experiencing problems (It certainly helped me once!)

Updating your DSi XL will do only one thing aside from POSSIBLY block out your flash cart (I don't know what one you're using or if it's on the current firmware, as opposed to the kernel which is the source of the GUI [and the kernel is often mistakenly referred to as firmware on manufacturer/vendor sites])
That one thing is provide access to the DSi Shop. If you don't buy DSi Ware, you should not bother if your Flashcart currently works.
If you'd like to see the shop, or need to buy download the DSiWare to 3DS transfer utility, you should make sure your Flashcart's Firmware supports the current DSi System Firmware

Edit: I realize that guide no longer (did it ever? :unsure:) shows DSi System Firmware in-line. But you can at least find links for most currently up-to-date flash carts via that list.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
my xl is running 1.4.1. there is no reason to update other than those mentioned above. if you are using a flash kit, you do not need to update for any 1 specific rom to be supported by the system. if you read the update history they never addressed any games (from what i recall), they were simply to add a few system menu options and mostly to block flash kits.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Welp I'm off to best buy because I figured out how to shove another 14tb hard drive in this server 😂