Hacking Differences between EDGE and Cyclo

ShiningYoshi1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm thinking about getting either one of these flashcarts. I've heard that the Edge is almost like a clone of the Cyclo, I'm just wondering, what are the main differences? Does the Cyclo run faster, better support, sturdier card, easier to use, etc.?

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ecash said:
Ummm ecash how about you actually help the person instead of being one-sided.
There is a LOT more of a difference between the two than just price, the CycloDS has a lot more features such as: Real Time Saves, a battery saver mode which works with most games, is Wii compatible, can use slow motion in games, they tend to be really fast on fixing games that have issues, there's an in game text reader you can use for FAQ's and such. Also anybody who has an Edge card be sure to correct me as i don't know if it can do these things from a recent firmware update.

ShiningYoshi1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks. =]

Cash isn't a big issue, but of course I prefer that it's cheap.

Thanks for the answer, pimpmynintendo. Maybe I'll still go with the Cyclo. ^^

Plus, is it true that the EDGE's microSD slot makes it stick out?

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Differences:

No in game menu
No Real Time SAVE
Different firmware, setup
Different card
and of course the Price

Similarities:

You can use the same themes
Slo-Motion
Good Well updates Card
Plays most, if not all ROMS

Great card, i have one myself
biggrin.gif

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Cyclo is the only card I've ever purchased and always been happy with. I really think it's worth the money. I hope that helps.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I know what the EDGE doesn't have, atleast before mine was stolen with my DS.

RTS
Battery saver mode
in-cart firmware (Firmware is loaded off of the micro sd card)
a $50 price tag.

If you dont care about the above features, then go ahead and get it, just know that the usb adapter that comes with it is very flimsy.

eSPy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pimpmynintendo said:
is Wii compatible

not to sure about that. ive used the connectivity feature between the Geometry wars games on wii and the DS to unlock the special levels on my edge card. havent tried any other games like that though.

shinnyuuya

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Maz7006 said:
Differences:

No in game menu
No Real Time SAVE
Different firmware, setup
Different card
and of course the Price

Similarities:

You can use the same themes
Slo-Motion
Good Well updates Card
Plays most, if not all ROMS

Great card, i have one myself
biggrin.gif

can u tell me more about 'No in game menu' and 'No Real Time SAVE'?

tec9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
were is this slo mo feature on the edge cart. i have refered to the edge site and tried to search the menu in the edge with no luck

wanderone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyclos DS Evolution (What it has that the Edge doesn't):

-Ability to save and load game states (i.e. ability to save at *any* point inside the game. Not to be confused with regular saves
that the game allows you to make at certain points which the cart saves to the sd card.)
-Ability to recover from a faulty or minorly corrupted firmware. (Not a biggie IMO. If the card is dead it's dead and no recovery
will work)
-An ingame text reader
-An ingame settings menu where you can change the brightness, read txt files, load & save save states and enable & disable
cheats, enable & disable to Battery Saver mode, etc.
-Ability to autoboot your last played game with a button-press combo.
-A Battery Saver mode that adds a bit of time to your battery life. (But the Edge supposedly uses low-energy parts so it consumes less battery so..*shrug*)
-Full GBA support (No cheats or save-states though) without the need of GBAExploder. (Though GBAEX gives you more options)
-Constant beta builds available for download before the final releases are released (If you're registered at the forums).
-NO passme autoboot. (I hate this on the Edge, you can set it to autoboot with one keypress in the native firmware so this is
really annoying if you still play alot of GBA NOR-flashed games and don't want to remove the Edge cart each time you start up)
So you get to change any DS options or play GBA games without removing the cart.
-Works better with minor file-system fragmentation? (Having a problem getting files to copy via DSOrganize's File Browser app. Cyclo never gave me any problems with DSOrganize...using the same card also)
-A developer hosted forum where you can get all the official info, files, tips and addons (new skins, etc.).
-Options to set the default games directory in the config file.
-Other numerous button-combo shortcuts.
-Faster updates.

IMO the Edge is only about 1/3 the worth of the Cyclos. It really needs a few more features. As it is I feel as if I paid half the price of what the Cyclos currently costs ($44 at RHS I believe to the Edge's $24) for about 1/3 the features. :-/
Still though, if you don't have the money and really want something similiar, it makes an okay 'backup' in case something happens to your Cyclos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool