Hacking Difference between adding games?

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what's the best way to add games to a HDD? Directly from DVD in USB Loader or with one of the Windows tools? Are there any compatibility differences?

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
speed depending on your PC...you shave about 10 min off the injection of the iso file...also you need not burn the ISO on a dvd-r to waste any DVD-r discs before you install depends on weather you have the disc dumped to a backup ISO weather this is faster as well...but yeah Maximillion's WBFSGui.exe does most games in 5 min avg.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer the Windows tools as it seems much faster than reading it off the Wii's DVD Drive. I created a separate partition on my 500GB NTFS WD HDD using paragon partition manager 9 Pro, formated 100GB of it to WBFS with the USB Loader, then used the wfbs.exe command line version with the cygwin1.dll for loading my games onto the HDD using a batch file, it seems to be the only version that can detect multiple partitions on a single drive.

neos_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you already have the iso on your pc, then do it via pc. For me it usuually takes 2-3 minutes (for games b/w 3-4 gb)

If you only have the disc, then do it via the wii. For me it usually takes 10-20min.

Personally i prefer doing it on pc as its much quicker and if you have the iso, there is no point burning it to disc first if you are just gonna add it to the hdd

1ronlung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit OT, but am I correct in assuming there's no reason not to brick block all ISOs, assuming you have the updates ?

Figure it'll cut down on HDD space.

Sorry if this has been answered, but been away for a while and desperately trying to catch up with a billion posts
smile.gif

omarroms

Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
A bit OT, but am I correct in assuming there's no reason not to brick block all ISOs, assuming you have the updates ?
If I remember correctly someone said that the loader has a brick block feature.

adding by using the window tool is why better and faster and some gui version allow you to rename the game because to me some games have weird names on them so changing it can only be done so far with a windows tool. use the windows tool if you have the iso on your hard drive and use the wii loader if you only have the disc. I'm currently using this windows gui because it does everything I need it to do and the coder is adding more features.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way the USB loader works is that it only dumps the partition on the disc with the actual game data. It skips over the first (update) partition completely as well as any partition besides the second (the main game partition). I had a multiboot backup I tried this with and it will only dump the first game partition and throws out the rest of the games.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
It's faster, and more accurate to put games on by the PC than by the Wii.

There are only really two programs for doing it in windows.
There's _JL_'s cygwin version which comes with cygwin1.dll and is called wbfs.exe
And there's Gibber's version that is called wbfs_win.exe

Most of the GUIs floating around are for Gibber's one, but HowardC's gui uses _JL_'s one.

john25usa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is there any ripping issues if you have a modchip? im using a wiikey version 1 firmware 1.9s and wii firmware 3.2E

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
tim2g said:
is there any ripping issues if you have a modchip? im using a wiikey version 1 firmware 1.9s and wii firmware 3.2E

I have a YAOSM chipped wii, 3.2E. I've ripped several games with success on wii.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Windows tools are a lot faster, more reliable, not prone to errors on the disc, and you don't have to burn DVDs. If you have backups/originals that you don't have the ISO of and they work fine from the disc, they should 95% of the time dump fine with the USB Loader. If they don't dump fine, the USB Loader will freeze, forcing you to reboot the wii. It won't show up in the game list, but it will still eat up space on the USB HDD.

I would recommend you to download ISOs of any discs you have that still have torrents with a decent amount of seeds, and dump the rest of your existing discs using the USB Loader.
For future games, obviously download ISOs and use the windows tools to add them to the USB HDD, it's faster and more reliable.

1ronlung

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it happens, these tools have come along at the perfect time for me. My Wii laser is on the verge of disappearing into obscurity. First read errors on DVD+R, now also on -R. I had the laser swapped on my previous Wii and the guys doing the swap could tell I smoked due to the buildup of nicotine on the Wii lens. They must really suck in the smoke.. Sony's lasers suck floppy donkey's cock and my PS2 laser lasted *way* longer than any of my Wii ones. True that Wiis aren't made to read DVD, but still...

Hoping a decent external drive will make this issue a thing of the past ....

ironlung

Kempston

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I never use the Wii to do this, it's simply too slow. If you already have the iso, copy it across using one of the gui's. If you only have the disk, create an ISO using Image Burn then do the same. If your PC is fast enough you can create an iso image AND convert it faster than the Wii could.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)