• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Did you vote?

Did you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - not planning/can't...

• Not yet - I'm off to vote

• I can't...but I'll say my vote below.

• Total voters

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
MystikEkoez said:
BlueStar said:
If you think not, for the love of God put a bet on, you can get between 10/1 and 20/1 on a McCain victory.
Not like it matters to you. You're in the UK. All you Brits are just gonna sit back and laugh as America crashes and burns.
Well, yes, what happens in other countries does matter to other countries. I thought this kind of insular thinking was just a cruel American stereotype
unsure.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Drift Monkey said:
Jiggah said:
Drift Monkey said:
Whoever you vote for, the American people, lose.

It's this kind of thinking that got us Bush, twice.
O RLY?

This kind of thinking is the only way to move forward with a modern multi-party system. Everyone's views and values can not possibly be aligned with a mere 2 parties...especially when the 2 parties essentially share the same mentality.

Don't even get me started on how corporations and banking institutions are the ones that truly run America...
lecture.gif

Oh please, then go vote. Vote for third party! It's not like there are only two parties on that ballot. The whole "whoever wins, we lose" is a simple sign of laziness to the political process. If you truly believe that it's broken then attempt to change it, if you don't you got jack to complain about.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Well, yes, what happens in other countries does matter to other countries. I thought this kind of insular thinking was just a cruel American stereotype
unsure.gif
If this is your way of thinking, you clearly have no idea how downhill the economy is going on here. We're being surpassed even by India and China, and you know why? Because of stupid stereotypes that Americans are greedy are infact true. All the outsourcing that our nation is doing leaves a large portion of our society without jobs, and money is only leaving our country, decreasing the value of the USD everyday, little by little.

Drift Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Drift Monkey said:
Jiggah said:
Drift Monkey said:

O RLY?

This kind of thinking is the only way to move forward with a modern multi-party system. Everyone's views and values can not possibly be aligned with a mere 2 parties...especially when the 2 parties essentially share the same mentality.

Don't even get me started on how corporations and banking institutions are the ones that truly run America...
lecture.gif

Oh please, then go vote. Vote for third party! It's not like there are only two parties on that ballot. The whole "whoever wins, we lose" is a simple sign of laziness to the political process. If you truly believe that it's broken then attempt to change it, if you don't you got jack to complain about.
Um...yeah, nice assumption that I didn't vote. I voted early in fact....and if you must know, it WAS third party (as if my previous post didn't hint to that enough already). My attitude does NOT insinuate that I am lazy or that I don't want to participate in my civic duty. It's a simple expression of the dissatisfaction with the current political practices.

Nice try though.

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I voted for Obama, but I think McCain will win. Unfortunately this country has a lot of people who support the 'traditional values of real america', like war and guns and hating everyone who isn't white.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
MystikEkoez said:
BlueStar said:
unsure.gif
If this is your way of thinking, you clearly have no idea how downhill the economy is going on here.

Uh, yes I do, because it's had an absolutely enormous effect on the economy here, the American sub-prime mortgage crisis was the root cause of the huge credit crunch we're seeing over here as so many British banks had their assets tied up in bad debt linked to those markets.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Uh, yes I do, because it's had an absolutely enormous effect on the economy here, the American sub-prime mortgage crisis was the root cause of the huge credit crunch we're seeing over here as so many British banks had their assets tied up in bad debt linked to those markets.
Oh, well, that sucks. See, how would I know that unless you told me?

Drift Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
MystikEkoez said:
BlueStar said:
unsure.gif
If this is your way of thinking, you clearly have no idea how downhill the economy is going on here.

Foreign investors loved the bailout! Bad debts were bought by the American people.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blueskies said:
Unfortunately this country has a lot of people who support the 'traditional values of real america', like war and guns and hating everyone who isn't white.
I am sorry but this not only didn't need to be said but is a load of crap.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Drift Monkey said:
Jiggah said:
Drift Monkey said:
Jiggah said:
Drift Monkey said:

O RLY?

lecture.gif

Um...yeah, nice assumption that I didn't vote. I voted early in fact....and if you must know, it WAS third party (as if my previous post didn't hint to that enough already). My attitude does NOT insinuate that I am lazy or that I don't want to participate in my civic duty. It's a simple expression of the dissatisfaction with the current political practices.

Nice try though.

My point is that what you're saying is essentially turning people away from the political process altogether, which hurts your cause more than it helps it. Rather than say "whoever wins, we lose," you could simply say vote for a third party.

It's the same with Nader, who essentially says the same thing, which leaves people simply deciding not to vote at all, not for any of the major front runner or any third party candidate.

Make a case for the third party rather than rely on putting down the two front runners.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Drift Monkey said:
BlueStar said:
MystikEkoez said:
BlueStar said:
unsure.gif

Foreign investors loved the bailout! Bad debts were bought by the American people.

The banks pleyed pass the parcel with the debts, packaged them up and sold them on to each other. When the music stopped and the penny dropped that these "assets" were in fact worthless if the people who owed the money were going to default in large numbers, banks got paranoid and refused to lend to each other in case they collapsed. UK banks were hit pretty hard, although not as hard as Icelandic banks
tongue.gif
France seems to be one of the countries in the best position to weather the crisis, because of traditionally tight-ass attitudes to lending money

Drift Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
My point is that what you're saying is essentially turning people away from the political process altogether, which hurts your cause more than it helps it. Rather than say "whoever wins, we lose," you could simply say vote for a third party.

It's the same with Nader, who essentially says the same thing, which leaves people simply deciding not to vote at all, not for any of the major front runner or any third party candidate.

Make a case for the third party rather than rely on putting down the two front runners.
Simple case of spinning my comment based on your own beliefs. I am dissatisfied with the "front runners" and believe that indeed, we all lose no matter who is elected. If I'm turning people away from voting...then it's not on me, it's on the individual...everyone has to make their own decisions and should educate themselves thoroughly before making such a decision...not based on what I say or how I hype one candidate over another.

If I am dissatisfied with the two major parties in which one WILL win...how I am not correct that we ALL lose?

Since you think you have all the answers...how so you suppose I spread the word about this broken political process other than educate myself and those around me? Furthermore, even if my post had been interpreted this way...I'm sure me (some cynical dude on a internet message baord) is gonna sway someone to NOT vote.
laugh.gif

Drift Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Drift Monkey said:
BlueStar said:
MystikEkoez said:
BlueStar said:
unsure.gif

The banks pleyed pass the parcel with the debts, packaged them up and sold them on to each other. When the music stopped and the penny dropped that these "assets" were in fact worthless if the people who owed the money were going to default in large numbers, banks got paranoid and refused to lend to each other in case they collapsed. UK banks were hit pretty hard, although not as hard as Icelandic banks
tongue.gif
France seems to be one of the countries in the best position to weather the crisis, because of traditionally tight-ass attitudes to lending money
My only point was that the bailout transferred the debt onto the American taxpayers...so I wouldn't see why foreigners would be against it...

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Drift Monkey said:
My only point was that the bailout transferred the debt onto the American taxpayers...so I wouldn't see why foreigners would be against it...

And forced us to nationalise the debts of many our banks as well. Us pesky foreigners have certainly not done well out of the global finacial crisis, bail out or not.

Drift Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Drift Monkey said:

And forced us to nationalise the debts of many our banks as well. Us pesky foreigners have certainly not done well out of the global finacial crisis, bail out or not.
To get to the true root of this though...it's because of a failed economic system as a whole. The Federal Reserve is killing the dollar daily...and the people are standing by and letting it.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just got back from voting a little while ago. Gonna go relax and have a beer and watch states turn red and blue. Damn I miss Tim Russert.
frown.gif
I would have voted for him in a heartbeat.

@Drift Monkey & Jiggah: You guys should just chill for everyone's benefit. You aren't that far apart, and you're sounding like the two drunk guys in a college bar having the same philosophical argument that's been rehashed thousands of times on those very barstools. We get it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: since you guys are so horny, who's up for smash or pass?