Did I miss anything?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 79TAKid, Jul 12, 2009.

Jul 12, 2009

Did I miss anything? by 79TAKid at 3:57 PM (2,609 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    I had a thread awhile ago about the DS Phat case beingg sh!t from DX, so I had to use half my old stuff.... well i got everything screwed down, and there isnt much to connect, but I cant get power. I slapped the back on real quick so the battery would stay in, and I even plugged it in, but the power button wont turn it on (you can hear it click so it works? You think there is anything I missed, or did I shock the main board from not using a static strap? lol

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    What happens when you plug the charger in, does the charging light stay on (not much help if the battery was fully charged already). IIRC you can run the DS Phat from the mains with the battery removed (I think?), try that too.

Otherwise, watch the power light and the screens when you try to turn it on. If the power light flickers for a second and turns off and nothing else happens then yes, it could be a blown fuse. However if one of the screens flickers too, this indicates the other screen isn't plugged in properly.

3. Steevsee

Newcomer Steevsee Advanced Member

Australia
    Check the connector for the top screen and make sure it is pushed in far enough.

4. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I doubt you did this, but did you happen to blow the F2 fuse?

That can cause the DS Phat/any DS to turn on then shut off, and make that "noise".

5. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    it makes the noise like a button would when you press it, does not light up or anything like it has no power*

6. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    Okay, I got time to screw with it a little more.... When I plug the charger in, the orange light comes on for a second then goes out. If I hit the power button right away, the green one will come on too but then it still goes out after a second. Nothing comes on the screens.... These dont have capacitors, but did I blow something on the board? is this fixable?? AHH [​IMG]

7. Brian117

United States
    You for sure blew the F2 fuse. I had that problem.

My "dad" had to bridge the two end circuits of the F2 fuse with a metal wire and solder for it to turn on.

This is my F2 fuse in my DS Phat:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

8. chrisman01

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ^wow that pic looks familiar. I have to open up my phat every other day to mess with the shoulder buttons [​IMG]

I recommend getting a Lite, or DSi if you can afford/want it, unless you want to be repairing it nonstop like me. I still have my Phat cuz I can't afford either one, especially now I'm going to college.

So far I replaced the top screen, replace the bus wire, replaced the touch screen, then the replacement died so I put the origianl back on, then I got another replacement then THAT one died, and the most recent problem is that the shoulder buttons keep failing [​IMG]

But I'd rather have a new laptop and replace this Dell than replace my DS... My DS doesn't crash 2-3 times a day whenever I'm in the middle of something [​IMG]

9. Brian117

United States
    I just edited my post with MY self taken pictures of my fuse. Plus, it's the F2 fuse, not F1. I edited my post for that also. Plus, the picture I had posted was a DS Lite, not a DS Phat. ~_~

10. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    Well ill check this out... is there anyway to tell if thats it? or is that the only thing it could be? A piece of solder works fine? or is there any nicer way to do it? thanks for the pictures

11. Steevsee

Australia
    You need a multimeter to test the fuse for continuity (resistance).

You can replace the fuse with another fuse but it requires very fine soldering and careful handling - They're tiny little suckers!

Check this article. Fuse info

12. Brian117

United States
    And yes, a piece of solder should work fine. I don't really know if there's a nicer way to do it, unless you know another way of bridging it.

But you're welcome for the pictures. Wanted you to see how the fuse was bridged.

13. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    Well im not the best at soldering so I had another guy at my work try... he knocked the fuse off and soldered the 2 posts together... still does the same thing, so I guess it wasnt the F2 fuse? Is there an F1? Where is that at?

14. Steevsee

Australia
    F1 is on the opposite side of the board but it's definitely NOT F1. Trust Me!

Apart from fuse problems, a screen connection problem would be next most likely.

Did you check all the clamps? Try removing and replacing the ribbon cable (Top and Bottom) and make sure they are fully seated before closing the clamps.

Is your bus wire(flat cable between screens) in good condition? Damaged bus wire will also prevent screen connection.

15. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    ive checked everything... even if the top screen isnt connected, shouldnt it still have the charging light or something stay on? The screens never came on, it doesnt have power long enough to do them, the charging light comes on for a second and thats all itll do when I plug it in.

16. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
  17. Brian117

United States
    Yes, those were the same problems I had. I would plug in the charger, and the orange light would turn on then turn off.

But it HASSSSSS to be the F2. Are you sure your friend at work did it correctly? And taking the fuse off wasn't the best of ideas. Should of just left it so he could just solder the end points.

18. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    I can try myself tomorrow.... I still have the fuse, it just got knocked out... and he put a piece of soder that kind of just engulfs both ends. Would it really make any difference to put the fuse back in there and try to solder ontop of that? Any place to buy a new fuse?

19. Brian117

United States
    It would make a difference I think...because the fuse still works. It's just that it got blown out. And bridging the ends of the fuse together gives it a jump start to turn on.

And I'm not sure if there's replacement fuses. But doing a search on Google shows people on eBay selling them. [​IMG]

20. 79TAKid
    OP

Newcomer 79TAKid Member

United States
    the fuse got continuity... We put it back on there and still the same thing. What are the fuses supposed to test at, like voltage wise.. is the board just shot? ugh