Hacking Did I mess up?

joyoshi

ICUP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just tried to install the latest sytem update on my emunand, through the emunand system settings. But now when I try to launch rxtools it says "starting home menu" (or something like that), then it freezes on a black screen. (and yes, I did make a backup of my emunand) did I do something wrong?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just tried to install the latest sytem update on my emunand, through the emunand system settings. But now when I try to launch rxtools it says "starting home menu" (or something like that), then it freezes on a black screen. (and yes, I did make a backup of my emunand) did I do something wrong?
Are you on n3DS? rxTools doesn't support latest FW on n3DS emuNAND yet. You can use Cakes or ReiNAND in the meantime. ReiNAND is very simple to set up, just copy the files over and run the homebrew.

Edit: Also, do you have menuhax installed on emuNAND by any chance? If your NANDs are still linked and you have it on sysNAND then it counts as being installed to your emuNAND.
If the answer to that is yes, it's probably just a FW version mismatch in menuhax.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

joyoshi

ICUP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oh, sorry. I was on emuNAND 9.2 using rxtools, and I wanted to update to 10.3/10.4 so I could use the eShop to update some titles. So I did what I described in my post, but now I says (translated from Dutch) "starting home menu", but it won't actually start. I'm on old 3DS (2DS).

Last edited by joyoshi,

Anotherply

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like it is booting into menuhax in emunand. When it is booting try to hold the button you configured for menuhax to not run.

Anotherply

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No that is fine, most people did that. I believe what happened was once you downgraded your sysnand it still had menuhax files on it. So when you made your emunand, it copied over the menuhax files so it activates only when you are on 10.3+. I also assume you didn't format the sysnand after downgrading before making the emunand. My friend had the same exact issue yesterday.

Try this:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...ware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/page-204#post-5982892

Reactions: kjaved373

joyoshi

ICUP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nothing there helped either, sorry...

Tiny bit of extra info that may be trivial: I always boot up and set it so my DS instantly boots up menuhax, unless I hold any button. I then manually select rxtools from the list of homebrew.

Last edited by joyoshi,

joyoshi

ICUP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes, I launch rxtools.3dsx from the homebrew launcher. It has worked for me up until this point. And I honestly don't know what my rxtools version is, or how I could find that.

kjaved373

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also having same problem. Downgraded N3DS to 9.2. Removed menuhax before cloning sysnand to emunand. 9.2 emunand works fine using ReiNand and CakesFW. When updating to anything else (9.9 using game cart update, 10.3 using files, 10.4 using internet), I get the "starting home menu" popup before going to black screen. Have to restore emunand backup to 9.2 before it works again. May be worth noting when holding power button when semi-bricked in emunand, it shows the sleep/power off message. Not sure if it's problem with sd card files, incomplete update or something else?

EDIT: Got it working! Used the link @Anotherply posted above and deleted the 00..008f folder and it went back to "starting home menu" after updating. This time it was actually creating it and loaded to home screen. Just tried 9.9, gonna try 10.4 now.

EDIT2: I think another thing that may have solved the problem this time was deleting cia titles I installed on SD and NAND from before. Apparently formatting system does not wipe those out as I tried several times but it still appeared when checking through FBI.

Last edited by kjaved373,

joyoshi

ICUP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also having same problem. Downgraded N3DS to 9.2. Removed menuhax before cloning sysnand to emunand. 9.2 emunand works fine using ReiNand and CakesFW. When updating to anything else (9.9 using game cart update, 10.3 using files, 10.4 using internet), I get the "starting home menu" popup before going to black screen. Have to restore emunand backup to 9.2 before it works again. May be worth noting when holding power button when semi-bricked in emunand, it shows the sleep/power off message. Not sure if it's problem with sd card files, incomplete update or something else?

EDIT: Got it working! Used the link @Anotherply posted above and deleted the 00..008f folder and it went back to "starting home menu" after updating. This time it was actually creating it and loaded to home screen. Just tried 9.9, gonna try 10.4 now.

EDIT2: I think another thing that may have solved the problem this time was deleting cia titles I installed on SD and NAND from before. Apparently formatting system does not wipe those out as I tried several times but it still appeared when checking through FBI.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any kind of folder on my SD card...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol