Did I f**k up my computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by YayMii, Jan 2, 2011.

Jan 2, 2011

Did I f**k up my computer? by YayMii at 7:26 PM (1,318 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Okay, so I was replacing the thermal compound on my CPU. I was cleaning up the mess on my heatsink, and I had my CPU resting on that tray thing where you screw the 5.25" drives in. My brother walked in and started freaking out at me saying that I probably fried my CPU because the pins were touching a metal surface. And he said I could fry my mobo if I tried to boot the computer with the CPU inside. I'm getting a new CPU anyways (since mine is old and outdated), but I was wondering if my brother's actually right, since I couldn't find anything about it online. Is my CPU dead?

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    lmao , that doesn't sound right .
    frying a CPU just because it was touching a metal surface ? as long as the computer was off, and the CPU wasn't even being heated, then it couldn't be a problem . the only thing i could think of is if it could be damaged if you weren't discharged properly , which you were right ?

3. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I wasn't wearing a discharging wristband, but contstantly holding the edge of the case makes the same effect AFAIK.
    And he said I fried it because all of the pins were touching the same surface.

4. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Well - touching the case isn't really the same thing UNLESS you still had the power cable plugged into a 3-pin socket but switched off @ the mains (the 3-pin plug must ALSO have a metal Earth pin) although that's IF you're living in the UK - not sure what type of sockets you have in Canada

In the case of countries with only 2-pin sockets (a 'Live' and a 'Neutral' only) constantly touching a radiator pipe will usually do the same thing

It's not a good thing having 'all pins touching a metal plate' but as Splych said above - it shouldn't really be a problem. the main fear of damage to any type of electronics is really caused by 'Static electricity'

5. Splych

Philippines
    well , even if you weren't wearing a wristband , just make sure you grounded yourself before the procedure [when i assembled my first computer , i made sure i was grounded and grounded myself before the procedure to prevent any damages to the parts of the computer] .

when he said same surface, does he mean the same material used to make the CPU ? so the material of the CPU = the material of the HDD bay ? i am guessing it would be aluminum , but you could do a little research to find out what your HDD bay is made of . BUT AFAIK , there couldn't be anything wrong . it's not if you shocked the CPU by putting it there, causing it to be fried or to be damaged :\

EDIT: i am learning about Electricity in Science class xD .
    and CannonFoddr is taking all the words out of my mouth [​IMG] . the fear of electronics is static electricity , and that's why the importance of being grounded is mandatory .

6. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    [​IMG]
    COMPUTERS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

There is always slight chance you may have damaged it with ESD, but if you kept yourself discharged like you said then it should be perfectly fine.

7. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Don't you mean "ground" and not "earth"? And in Canada we have the same plugs and voltage as the US (110v 3-pin, although many devices don't have the third pin. Computers have 3 pins though).
    The computer was completely off. The power supply was turned off and unplugged, and the motherboard was also unplugged. I doubt that I killed it with static though.
    Even if it is dead, is it possible to kill the motherboard by booting the computer with the CPU in it?

EDIT: The CPU pins are not made of the same material as the drive bay. In fact, the materials are different colors.

8. Splych

Philippines
    ground and earth are the same thing . the earth is what something is connected to , so that it would be grounded . (thank you science class [​IMG])

9. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

10. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Well that's the difference between over here & over there - In UK it's more commonly known as 'Earth' but yes you're right it is also known as 'Ground'

FYI - The bit about power supply turned off & unplugged - this means that the case of the PC wasn't earthed/grounded so touching it wouldn't of earthed/grounded you so the risk of static electricity was still present

11. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    [​IMG]

Again, even if I did kill it with static electricity, will it kill the motherboard if I boot up the computer?

12. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    You say potato, I say potato. ITs the same exact thing. Ground = Earth.

13. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada

14. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just plug the bloody thing in it will be fine.

CPUs are pretty tough to kill and grounding the pins on a metal surface is a lot safer the placing it on a work top or worse cardboard or paper. The metal surface will no generate any static and the CPU does not have an internal power source so there is nothing to short out.

Tell your brother to stop being stupid and trying to freak you out.

15. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Hmm... I don't think he was trying to freak me out. He genuinely thought I was really dumb for putting the CPU on metal (although you guys have reassured me that it won't affect the CPU at all). And I believed him because he has more experience with building computers than I do (although I don't understand why he thought that placing it on metal would damage the CPU).
    EDIT: And he normally places removed CPUs onto wood tables and/or cloth.

And I'm still wondering, since I may have not been grounded properly, is there a possibility that a static-damaged CPU can damage the motherboard?

16. Damian666

Member Damian666 Coder from Hell

Netherlands
    no.

simple he [​IMG]

Dami

17. YayMii
    OP

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Tried the computer, it functions fine. Thanks guys [​IMG]

18. Damian666