Hacking Did I do this right?

DiGiTaL-CORE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed this guide to enable homebrew like USB Loader to back up games on the Wii. The guide simply said to install the hombrew channel, install the patched IOS236 using IOS236 Installer v2, than IOS249 using cIOSX rev20b. Than I should now be able to use the USB Loader after some configuration.

The homebrew channel was easy, but when I got to the installation of IOS249 I'd get the -2011 error choosing a non-patched IOS. This was because this guide said to choose IOS236 for the IOS to use for the installation. Mine wasn't there... I didn't have IOS236 as a choice. So instead I used Trucha to downgrade it to 15 and back up to a patched 36 and used it isntead of 236. I used the IOS249 installer again, and used the patched IOS36 for the IOS to use for the installation. It worked, but is it okay form this point? Should I change or redo it differently? At this point I admit I dont know what I'm doing.

I used...
- NUSD_v15aBeta for .wad files
- The boot.elf from hackmii installer v0.8
- Bannerbomb(aad1f_v108)
- IOS236 Installer v2
- cIOSX rev20b Installer
- Trucha Bug Restorer 1.0

Here is what I did...
- Used a FAT32 formatted 2G Sandisk with the boot.elf and bannerbomb
- Installed the Homebrew Channel
- Installed BootMii
- Installed IOS236 w/ IOS236 Installer v2
- Made a backup of my NAND using BootMii(forgot to do it before anything like a retard -.-)
- Tried to install IOS249 w/ cIOSX rev20b Installer and got the -2011 error when selecting IOS36
- Used Trucha Bug Restorer 1.0 to downgrade to IOS15 and back to a patched IOS36
- Tried to install IOS249 w/ cIOSX rev20b Installer again and succeeded.
- Formated my USB Cruzer to FAT32 via Windows and used WBFS Manager 3.0.1 to format it to WBFS
- I loaded Configurable USB Loader and I am currently making a backup of RE4
biggrin.gif

WAF's guide looked pretty solid to me, I just think I might have done something wrong. Trucha counts as a dangerous downgrade, so its not on WAF's site.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well.. you spelled "right" wrong. So no you didn't do it write.

Haha you need to switch the IOS to.. 223 was it? Then the error will not occur.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Haha jokes, jokes.

In the MMM (Multi-Mod Manager) menu, go down to "Load another IOS... "

You should have 249 is the current. Change that to, if I remember correctly, either 36 or 223 and it'll work.

EDIT: Not definite on the required IOS, as I had the problem quite a while back.
EDIT2: Should be 36.
EDIT3: I've actually never used the guide you mentioned, but if you can't get it to work (try asking around / researching in the "Hacking" thread), I would recommend this guide as it gets all the necessary files and compiles instructions unique to your wants.
http://gbatemp.net/t207126-modmii-for-windows

You can just use it to get the necessary IOSs / cIOSs if you don't already have them. Plus, the guide also installs a form of protection is case your Wii gets bricked via an application called Priiloader.

DiGiTaL-CORE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot.

Seeing how I already have Priiloader, should I get rid of BootMii?

This would have been nice a couple of hours ago >.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I would keep it for that alternate way to recover from a brick, but I don't think you actually need it (after backing up your NAND) if you already have Priiloader.

DiGiTaL-CORE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, I said that wrong. I meant to say I already have BootMii, should I trade it in for Priiloader.

Either way, noted. Thanks.

EDIT: I also have theses already on my Wii and SD.

- Bannerbomb(aad1f_v108)
- IOS236 Installer v2
- cIOSX rev20b Installer

Is ModMii better? Seems more recent, so it probably is.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DiGiTaL-CORE said:
Again, I said that wrong. I meant to say I already have BootMii, should I trade it in for Priiloader.

Either way, noted. Thanks.

EDIT: I also have theses already on my Wii and SD.

- Bannerbomb(aad1f_v108)
- IOS236 Installer v2
- cIOSX rev20b Installer

Is ModMii better? Seems more recent, so it probably is.
The guide you're looking at simply gets the job done. You'll still need to get some IOSs to be able to run a bunch of homebrew or games right.

ModMii is constantly being updated with the latest files, so yes, you could consider it better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up