Did I brick my 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by GoldenTreesYT, Aug 22, 2018.

1. GoldenTreesYT
    OP

GoldenTreesYT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    United States
    Hi, I think I may have bricked my 3ds. I had firmware v11.8 and attempted to downgrade to v11.5 using Ctrtransfer on 3ds.guide. doing so seems to have broken luma3ds. When I power on I get this screen unless I boot into GM9 by holding start:

Attached Files:

2. GoldenTreesYT
    OP

GoldenTreesYT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    United States
    By the way, I have tried deleting luma's config file. No luck, just had to reenable the setting it told me to when I modded it.

3. GraalOtonami

GraalOtonami Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I got this the other week when I updated my 3ds system. Update Luma on your SD card and essentially re-CFW your system using the original guide.

4. GoldenTreesYT
    OP

GoldenTreesYT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    United States
    Here's a pic of my 3DS micro SD card. This is all the files, I removed the cias folder to show everything. Also I've got a new 3ds xl usa region.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I thought doing that Might fix it but I didn't try because I was worried it might make it worse.

I will try re-modding my 3ds. I use NTRboot to do so, do I need to redo that part?

Attached Files:

5. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    NFates likes this.
  6. GraalOtonami

GraalOtonami Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Follow the guide from here:
    3ds.hacks.guide /installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot)
    You shouldn't have any more problems after that.

7. GoldenTreesYT
    OP

GoldenTreesYT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    United States
    Ok I did it. Reinstalled B9S and everything, and to no avail. Same error, but still can load GM9

8. GraalOtonami

GraalOtonami Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Did you use the latest Luma build's boot.firm?

9. GoldenTreesYT
    OP

GoldenTreesYT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    United States
    Yes

I think that maybe redoing Ctrtransfer to get back to 11.8 might fix it

Lol just saw this. I do have 2 other working devices, one on 11.8, I will create a file from that one later. I don't have it with me right now. Thanks! I have a feeling this might be it1

10. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    You can't use the SysNAND backup from a different 3DS. That image file is tied to the specific 3DS it came from.

11. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    No, don't create it from another device. Don't restore the NAND of another device or you'll brick. He means a backup of this device. If you don't have one, you should try another CTRTransfer.

Also, can you try this Luma version? I have a little doubt about something, maybe it will work.

TurdPooCharger likes this.
  12. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    @GoldenTreesYT, you might want to copy everything off your SD card, reformat it as FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size (use guiformat if bigger than 32 GB), and run it through with H2testw in a Full Write + Verify Test.

A possibility for why your CTRTransfer failed is that your card could be fake. If that's the case, you flashed your NAND with corrupted files.

NFates likes this.
  13. THEGUY3ds

THEGUY3ds GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2018
    Australia
    In The galaxy
    Try recovery mode

14. GoldenTreesYT
    OP

GoldenTreesYT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    United States
    The card is 8GB, and it worked until I tried to NTRboot. If it helps, it's a SanDisk SCHC class 4. I doubt it fake

15. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Anything can be fake unless you test it, that why the recommendation of H2testw.

Last edited by Hayato213, Aug 22, 2018
    TurdPooCharger likes this.
  16. GoldenTreesYT
    OP

GoldenTreesYT Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2017
    United States
    Wait why'd I say NTRboot I meantmeant ctrtransfer

Also, it said it was successful but after it wouldnt start luma

17. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    At this moment, forget what GodMode9 told you about your CTRTransfer being successful.

If you have an o3DS with a standard type SD card, make sure the write protection slide isn't in the lock position.

[​IMG]

Do the H2testw so that all of us know for sure we're not dealing with faulty hardware. This is the foundation of your entire 3DS game library and CFW setup at stake here! If this is unknowingly bad, you're going to find yourself in a world of hurt losing game progress and saves!

Things to look out for when using H2testw
    If your card instantly or quickly passes the test without writing anything to it, your SD card has died and entered read-only mode (too many worn out NAND cells). This can't be fixed with any software. You would have to buy a replacement card (check my signature!)

At any moment the test goes red like this, the card is no good. Trash it.

[​IMG]

A passing card (that took time to write & verify) will have a result resembling this.

[​IMG]

If and only if your card isn't to blame after checking, should you then proceed with any further attempts at CTRTransfer and other recovery attempts.

Itzumi likes this.