did Bootanim9 brick my n3ds?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Spiderkid08, May 6, 2017.

1. Spiderkid08
    OP

Spiderkid08 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 26, 2016
    United States
    so i installed bootanm9 and when i turned my 3ds off and back on,it was just 2 black screens with only the blue light on (and orange because it was charging) would taking the sd card out and deleting the bootanim9 files fix it? or using the godmode9 thing to go into the file explorer and delete the files?

Last edited by Spiderkid08, May 6, 2017
  2. LokeYourLord

LokeYourLord Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    Norway
    Did you even install Bootanim9 properly? For me the guide was badly written, as in bad english. I actually had to check up on some comments a good few pages later.
    Make sure you rename the "arm9loaderhax.bin" to the "arm9payload.bin" and move it inside the "anim" folder. Remember that you also need some kind of animation ready, otherwise it will just boot normally.

And also, remember to delete the current "arm9loaderhax.bin" file in the SD root directory (if you have one. It is important that you don't delete it if you don't have a "arm9payload.bin" in your anim folder).

3. Spiderkid08
    OP

Aug 26, 2016
    United States
    i did everything correctly and i have a animation in the 0 folder

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

would going into godmode9's file explorer and deleting the animation boot me back to the home menu?

4. LokeYourLord

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    Norway
    Then i have no idea, you didn't show me your folder structure, so i cannot make any other conclusions. Uninstall it if it doesn't work, nothing else i can do.

5. Spiderkid08
    OP

Aug 26, 2016
    United States
    i have sd:/anim/arm9payload.bin, calibrator and a folder named 0 that has a anim in it

6. LokeYourLord

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    Norway
    Again, just uninstall, see if it works. I find it highly unlikely (or even possible) that you can brick your N/3DS with just Bootanim9, i have it installed just fine and so has everyone else. Those with problems are usually the ones that didn't follow the guide or skipped something. It CAN some very few times happen that things go wrong, but i doubt that because the 3DS Modding scene is very "narrow", and with that i mean that about everyone is using the same modifications and systems, meaning they all give about the same results.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You did also remember to put the "arm9loaderhax_si.bin" in the SD root directory right?

7. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N oh no

Jun 7, 2016
    United States
    Sixth Circle of Hell
    /anim/arm9payload.bin <-- This should be your Luma3DS payload.
    /arm9loaderhax_si.bin <-- This should be your bootanim9 payload.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the guide use the screeninit binaries for the Arm9LoaderHax? If not, that could also be an issue.

8. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    First, this should go in the BA9 thread, I don't know why people insist on creating separate threads for issues when they clearly should go in the main thread.
    You seem to be lacking screen init, try renaming the boot binary to "arm9loaderhax_si.bin" if you're using a newer A9LH stage2 or install one with screeninit always performed.

No, I just wrote it at 4AM after a couple of sleepless nights. I could rewrite it if I wanted to but:

- I'm lazy
    - I want people to actually figure stuff out on their own. The 3DS """scene""" is spoonfed af.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  9. 6adget

6adget Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2016
    United States
    Sacramento, Ca.
    He is trying to figure stuff out on his own by reading a guide. Because he didn't quite understand a few things in your guide and asked for clarification means he wants to be spoon fed? I really am not trying to argue or start an online war, but I did want to point out that I don't think he really deserves a response like that. It's great that you posted a guide, but if someone asks for clarification we shouldn't talk sh*t about them. It's easy to forget that at one time or another we were all new to the 3ds scene, and wanted to ask any and all questions that popped into our heads.

10. Spiderkid08
    OP

Aug 26, 2016
    United States
    also, i can not start up godmode9 so i'll have to wait to borrow a screwdriver from some one

11. Spiderkid08
    OP

Aug 26, 2016
    United States

12. Wolfvak

Wolfvak *yawn*

Oct 25, 2015
    Uruguay
    No problem, but please, if you have any further questions about ANYTHING make sure to put them in the main thread. This is not just for BA9 but for any other software you might encounter issues with.

I never said the user was spoonfed, I said the scene was in general. General != everyone.

First, I never posted a "guide". You would have a huge misconception of what a guide is if you think that my thread is anywhere close to a "guide". It's just a basic description of how it works, not an explicit "do this do that" guide. It even includes an example of what your SD filesystem layout could be - but never imposes anything other than the basic stuff (the "anim" folder and the "arm9payload.bin" paths are hardcoded, if you don't like them feel free to modify the source code).

All I said is that the post was semi-purposely written in broken English to make sure people investigated on their own, rather than just relying on one single source of information. If you don't like my description (sorry, """guide"""), feel free to use any other. Or even better, play around with the software and write your own.

Besides, I never talked shit about anyone (I could tho). I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Yes, and instead of creating countless threads I read code and documentation available online.
    I had help with some low-level details afterwards but I already had a basic idea of what I wanted to do and how, rather than borderline spamming forums with questions.

13. AllenHirai

AllenHirai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2017
    United States
    Yeah try remove the sd card then insert it after its in the home menu that worked for me.

14. sks316

sks316 Retro Enthusiast

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Of course it is! We wouldn't want newbies messing up somewhere and bricking and then blaming it on a guide that wasn't written properly.