Did any childhood cartoons of yours hold up?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will also be accepting live action as part of this.

Earlier this afternoon I was faced with a choice
1) Slap this computer hard enough that it played the Sony presentation

2) Continue binge watching the good wife.

3) Rewatch a late 90's UK driven sci fi kids TV show called Aquila in VHS rip quality on youtube (apparently there was no DVD). Being a UK TV show there was 2 series of 7 and 6 episodes of about 22 minutes a piece respectively. I also found the author had written a sequel book in the subsequent years, even if the synopsis seems a lot like the second series.

2) was delayed for a few hours and instead 3) happened (as in I watched the lot). It held up and if US guidelines on the matter are anything to go by would still blow minds there today.

As it held up it got me thinking what else there might be that also holds up and such a thing usually makes a good topic.

Having seen a lot of it in recent years there is a lot that did not make it, as a rule I reckon the more that people try to slip things past the censors the better.

Also

Reactions: T-hug

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Man I loved Trapdoor lol

My ultimate favorite of all time is Ulysses 31:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_31
The plot line of the series describes the struggles of Ulysses and his crew against the divine entities that rule the universe, the ancient gods from Greek mythology. The Gods of Olympus are angered when Ulysses, commander of the giant spaceship Odyssey, kills the giant Cyclops to save a group of enslaved children, including his son. Zeus sentences Ulysses to travel the universe with his crew frozen until he finds the Kingdom of Hades, at which point his crew will be revived and he will be able to return to Earth. Along the way they encounter numerous other famous figures from Greek mythology who have been given a futuristic twist.

Just listen/watch this intro, it's too good:

I think it holds up and the story and characters are awesome with a continuance throughout the series. It has some pretty mature themes in it too.

Bravestarr
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BraveStarr
Doesn't really hold up but it was awesome at the time, dude had mad powers and was like a space Marshall. I used to love it when the enemies arrived and all of the town would get covered in armor shutters etc. when the alarm sounded and then the Marshall would come out on his own and fuck shit up with his animal powers and rad horse!

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayce_and_the_Wheeled_Warriors
I don't remember much about this apart from all of the vehicles had like organic parts and weapons that could smash up the enemies. They had like saw blades and grabbers and all kinds of violent shit. Was awesome and looking at the animation it seems to hold up.

I wasn't going to post this as it's a pretty obvious one but DAT THEME!
M.A.S.K
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.S.K.
MASK had everything, cool vehicles, great characters and an awesome theme track, pretty sure I had some figures from it too and vehicles etc.

Maid Marion and Her Merry Men
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_Marian_and_Her_Merry_Men
This used to crack me up back in the day, it was so stupid but funny too.

You can watch the whole lot on YT:

What this thread has made me realize is that the 80s had some bad ass scifi cartoons and there really isn't anything like it any more, at least on UK TV.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think Ulysses 31 (else it was some other sci fi cartoon based on a greek myth) was on really early on Channel 4, some point after transworld sport and before Sharky and George (which also holds up). I never really got into it but thinking back it was one of those that I probably should have watched from the start.
On sci fi cartoons... yeah I guess there is a dearth of them of late. Though I can suggest Malo Korrigan from 2003 or so and if you have never seen the Starship Troopers animated series (sometimes called Roughnecks) then I pity you having to navigate the mess the DVD releases made of it but it is good underneath it all.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
The only cartoons I watched as a kid were Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and eventually Pokemon. As an adult I tracked down the VHS tapes of AOSTH only to find out that only accounts for about half the episodes, so I bought the DVD box set which finally lets me own all of them. It's a ridiculous cartoon. It was never great in the first place, much less now. I think the Nostalgia Critic review pretty much nailed it. Minimal effort in the animation, nothing makes sense, we only let it slide as kids because it was Sonic, and he was the shit back then. But I still occasionally put it on as background noise.

As for Pokemon, I only got to watch the first couple of seasons, I had no access after that. Been catching up on Netflix and a few other websites for the other seasons. It's pretty formulaic but still has a charm to it. Surprisingly the movies hold up a lot better if you ask me. Characters get a bit more depth to them and there's not so much of the 'been there done that' of the earlier episodes. I'm also glad that Team Rocket eventually stopped doing that ridiculous motto every episode.

Reactions: RustInPeace

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a few, off the top of my head, I watched that I think still hold up:

Batman TAS
Gargoyles (first two seasons)
Animaniacs
Freakazoid
The Tick (cartoon series)

I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head.

Reactions: RustInPeace

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only cartoons I watched as a kid were Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and eventually Pokemon. As an adult I tracked down the VHS tapes of AOSTH only to find out that only accounts for about half the episodes, so I bought the DVD box set which finally lets me own all of them. It's a ridiculous cartoon. It was never great in the first place, much less now. I think the Nostalgia Critic review pretty much nailed it. Minimal effort in the animation, nothing makes sense, we only let it slide as kids because it was Sonic, and he was the shit back then. But I still occasionally put it on as background noise.

As for Pokemon, I only got to watch the first couple of seasons, I had no access after that. Been catching up on Netflix and a few other websites for the other seasons. It's pretty formulaic but still has a charm to it. Surprisingly the movies hold up a lot better if you ask me. Characters get a bit more depth to them and there's not so much of the 'been there done that' of the earlier episodes. I'm also glad that Team Rocket eventually stopped doing that ridiculous motto every episode.

General that's true for alot of shows since with many (like spongebob) latter seasons go down in quality.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon - The Kanto and Johto seasons, for sure, I'm not sure about the others, I never saw past Johto.

Spongebob - It's still a laugh to watch. I think it gets flak and labelled as "overrated," but I don't agree. If anything, it's better to watch now and try and catch the adult references.

Ed, Edd, N' Eddy - Classic, a lot of Cartoon Network shows still hold up with me. Rolf and Johnny, great characters.

Dexter's Lab - Mandark is awesome, I now smile big time when I spot the voice actor in various movies. WarGames, Assault of the Killer Bimbos, it's amazing he had some movies under his belt before Dexter's Lab.

Looney Tunes - Space Jam, the individual shorts, they all are awesome.

South Park - I did see it as a kid, and have caught up to all the episodes, but it's not like the other shows where it's been a long time since I saw them.

Fairly Oddparents - I don't mind the baby Poof episodes, but I go with the pre-baby episodes.

Hey Arnold

Scooby Doo - whichever version works with me.

All That - I want to see more as an adult though.

Dragon Ball and Z - I binged watched it a few years ago, so it hasn't been too long a time I watched the shows, and last week I saw Resurrection F.

Jimmy Neutron

Johnny Bravo!

Cow & Chicken

I Am Weasel

The Grim Adventures Of Billy And Mandy

Batman: The Animated Series

Pretty much any show that was in Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon up until 2007. Starting that year, I was generally watching TV less and less, but 2010, I was done with TV.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Something that sits in my memory is "Les Sauveteurs du Monde", litterally, "The World Savers"

It was all about TRUE humans, people that cared about others, whatever the danger was.

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
My favorites cartoon for looooooooong time ago until now.

Bobobobs
Widget The World Watcher
Tom and Jerry
The Power Puff Girls
SpongeBob Square Pants
Scooby Doo
Flintstones
Voltron
Thundercats (old and new version)
Pokemon series
Digimon series
Dragon Ball series
Smurfs

and much more..... :P :rolleyes:

AlanWeird

Trophies
XP
Country
My big one was the Pirates of Dark Water.

It's incredible. Others I loved... Don't hold up as well, but this did. Bigtime.

Unfinished though. :(

Reactions: T-hug

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Atomic Betty
Growing Up Creepie
Ruby Gloom
The Mighty Hercules from the 60's (Okay i just discovered it recently but its good!)
Creepschool
Mona The Vampire
Creepschool, How did I forget that? :O

Edit: "Les Sauveteurs du Monde" is actually "Rescue Heroes", my bad for the wrong name.

Last edited by VinsCool,

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
One I forgot to mention in my post one that was really good:

The Mysterious Cities of Gold
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold

I remember watching and loving it but I don't remember what happened at the end so really want to find out.
Turns out they remade it in 2012 and it looks quite faithful to the original.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro