Diagnosis of Broken Switch

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took my modded switch, which won’t turn on, to a reputable repair shop. Here is the diagnosis given. Is this a common issue? And what likely caused it?

Attachments

• 5FAA8FE0-856F-4B96-BA3D-5E6940A2C445.jpeg
    5FAA8FE0-856F-4B96-BA3D-5E6940A2C445.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 20

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took my modded switch, which won’t turn on, to a reputable repair shop. Here is the diagnosis given. Is this a common issue? And what likely caused it?
It’s not common but definitely not unheard of. There are several threads on what to do next to recover from a bad emmc.
Lots of things can cause an emmc to fail and it’s going to be really hard to guess remotely,
This is a major reason it’s recommended to backup you emmc when you hack your switch. If you have a backup you can get a new emmc for cheap and restore the backup. If you don’t have a backup you can create a hacked image but it will have mismatched numbers and thus it will be banned from connecting to Ninty.
Even if this end up being the case, not all is lost as you will still be able to do everything you always could under CFW.

Reactions: impeeza and Prior22

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s not common but definitely not unheard of. There are several threads on what to do next to recover from a bad emmc.
Lots of things can cause an emmc to fail and it’s going to be really hard to guess remotely,
This is a major reason it’s recommended to backup you emmc when you hack your switch. If you have a backup you can get a new emmc for cheap and restore the backup. If you don’t have a backup you can create a hacked image but it will have mismatched numbers and thus it will be banned from connecting to Ninty.
Even if this end up being the case, not all is lost as you will still be able to do everything you always could under CFW.

Found this on my laptop. Are these the files I would need to restore my switch to gain access to the save files? I don’t even mind paying for a new custom switch. I would just really like those save files.

Attachments

• 53D8D3B0-76BC-41B7-B9D6-ED08F446E468.jpeg
    53D8D3B0-76BC-41B7-B9D6-ED08F446E468.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 17

StringIsNullOrEmpty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Found this on my laptop. Are these the files I would need to restore my switch to gain access to the save files? I don’t even mind paying for a new custom switch. I would just really like those save files.
Yes, but that was from 2020. If you haven't made more recent backups since then you'd lose everything in between.

Reactions: Prior22

StringIsNullOrEmpty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Get a new eMMC module and install it into the switch, then use hekate to write those backups into the new chip.
Your shop might even offer this service to install one for you if they have stock.
You can choose to do it yourself, but you do need to wait for the chip to ship from China, and get the screwdrivers needed to open a switch. The process itself is not that hard; no soldering required.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, those are the right files! You will be able to recover to a new emmc. You can buy one by searching Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...archText=Switch+emmc&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0

Of you have a Linux box you can buy one of these combos and do it yourself:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...il.0.0.21d8f19cTEUvbl&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Here’s a picture for when the link dies:

04A7CF3C-EEFF-471F-AAAA-F646AA77B979.jpeg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: BO1 is good, all 3 modes are good in that game