Diablo 3 will require a persistent Internet connection to play

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Remember when you first heard stuff like how either Steam or StarCraft 2 require you to be online for authentication purposes? That the process to play or utilize either service offline can be a bit circuitous, but at least it's still possible to be offline. But, Diablo 3 differs in that you must be online to play at all -- not just for authentication.

Executive vice president of game design Rob Pardo notes that the wealth of improvements and features Diablo 3 brings to Battle.net necessitate the always-online requirement. Specific additions that he refers to include:

A persistent friends list.
Cross-game chat via the RealID system.
Persistent characters that are stored server-side (no more having to play online once every 90 days, nor item duplication cheats).
Persistent party system.
Player-versus-player and public game matchmaking.
Dynamic drop-in/out for co-op
Larger item stash that gets shared among all of your characters (at the moment, up to 10)
The auction house, outlined here.
The Achievement system and detailed stat-tracking, both of which feed into the final point:
The Banner system, a visual way to display your prowess in the game. Banners start out like emblems, where you can choose from an array of symbols, patterns, and overall shape/design. Then, you can tweak its appearance through Achievements and other accomplishments. Examples Pardo cites include whether the character is in Hardcore mode, how many Achievements have been earned, how many PVP victories, and so forth. Additionally, the Banners also have gameplay features; in-game, rather than use Town Portal, you can click on a player's Banner to instantly teleport over to said player.
While Pardo recognizes that people sometimes want or need to play offline (such as internet outages, or playing on a laptop during an airplane flight), he notes that the increased security, plus benefits like the above, outweigh those other concerns. "I want to play Diablo 3 on my laptop in a plane, but, well, there are other games to play for times like that."

Interestingly, before our own play session for preview purposes, we saw what happens when you try to play offline (or get knocked offline): you get stuck at the login screen (a la World of Warcraft). The reason? The beta server wasn't online. How do you feel about this? Are you already online all the time anyways (for Steam or WOW)? Or is this a significant issue? Let us know in the comments below.

Also, if you're curious about some of the new Battle.net features, click on through for some screens (fullsize images also available by clicking on the screen itself) below.[/p]
icon11.gif
Via
icon11.gif
Source

but everything is ok because it's not Ubisoft.

D

Deleted User

Just read about this on Kotaku and I it immediately killed any interest I had in buying the game. If I have to rely on a crack/hack to play it offline there's no incentive to buy it at all.

Wintrale

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't get it. Why do people complain about this? You're playing the game on your PC, so why wouldn't you have a persistent internet connection? Like Pardo says, if you're out camping, Diablo 3 is hardly the game you're going to want to play.

Shoat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. Why would anyone be surprised by this after they did the same thing with SC2?

2. Why would anyone be upset about this after what happened with SC2?
A cracked version to play singleplayer offline is guaranteed to be there. Best case probably at (or even before) launch, worst case maybe a few weeks afterwards.

So, playing singleplayer without active internet connection is possible, the issue is fixed by haxx0rs just as it was with SC2.
And Multiplayer (which is the main reason the majority of people will buy the game) would have required an active internet connection anyway.
= No reason to worry or be upset.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
brandonspikes said:
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:
Diablo 3 will require a persistent Internet connection to play

...we shall see. I give this game 2 weeks before it crumbes before the might of haxxorz.
Wont be cracked.
how much you wanna bet on that? settlers 7 had the exact same type of drm and it was craxed
smileipb2.png

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
AC2 principle FTW!
for a pirate, no issue but for a real gamer its an issue. look at the AC2 ratings on gamefaqs for PC and u will see many 1 votes just because of DRM
even witcher 2 took out DRM due to slowdown (which IMO was kinda a bad planning/strategy on making an unnecessarily graphical hence slow game)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I want to play a game single player off-line, I should be able to.

There shouldn't be a thought "you want to play multiplayer anyway". That crazy talk.
Specially if you start having internet issues.

Imagine if they start thinking for all games.

"Why are you complaining about Kid Icarus/Mario Kart/COD/Pokemon/resident evil (or whatever game) not be able to play offline? You want to play multiplayer and should have good internet anyways."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended