Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Mikesahhh

Mikes
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nah sorry dont know anyone who has PSO either.
Is there a way to go back to HBC in the middle of a devolution gamecube game without getting out of my couch? think pressing 'L + R + Y + X + B + A + Start' restarted it so wandered if there was something like that to quit out

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What I really really want is WiiU (via vWii) support. But I know that's really a pipe dream.
AFAIK, that's being worked on - a teaser video was posted not long ago. What remains unknown is how GC disc verification will work with Wii U. It was mentioned that GC discs may have to be verified on a Wii before using the loader with Wii U.

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nah sorry dont know anyone who has PSO either.
Is there a way to go back to HBC in the middle of a devolution gamecube game without getting out of my couch? think pressing 'L + R + Y + X + B + A + Start' restarted it so wandered if there was something like that to quit out
Try pressing the Power Button.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He said "without getting off my couch" - the wiimote has no functionality in games currently.

EDIT: tueidj replied on that PSO forum basically asking for a wifi log, partially confirming what I said earlier.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I told you he keeps tabs on that topic. ;)

EDIT: d'oh, that's a pun isn't it... browser tabs...

EDIT 2: well, I really don't want to do this, but we could always fabricate a wifi log for PSO by changing parts of the log from another game... that however would require 3 seperate wifi logs - one for "game A" with the r188 HDD bug, one for "game B" with the r188 HDD bug, and one for PSO on any revision from anybody.

The reason for having three is because we would need it to find out what is different between games and what those values would be for PSO.

...alternatively, you could just find a copy of PSO and wifi-log it. :P

EDIT 3: Well, we've got the wifi log for PSO, now we just need the wifi logs for two different games with the r188 HDD bug:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/page-109#post-4532770

EDIT 4: I've also PMed SuperToxic to see if he could help. He previously posted on that PSO forum after I recommended it as a way to get a response from tueidj.

EDIT 5: oh, you've already posted a wifi log on that PSO forum. Interesting - it would seem that because it cannot launch the game it doesn't even specify in the log what game is trying to be played (note the line "Unable to find FAT device (5342) or ISO file (47555045)"). However, if tueidj requests a log for r169, then we may need to inquire the help of SuperToxic to get a working log for us because that WILL specify what game is being launched.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Given tuidj's avid focus on PSO, I'm beginning to think that classic controller support may not ever happen. :(

To do what the "official" method doesn't. I hate GC controllers and the crappy little discs. And if you bought a new model wii you can't play NGC games at all.​

;)

Elsewhere it has been reported that CC support is already working, but not yet released to the public.

Where did you hear that at? Just curious...

Reactions: Maxternal

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that Wiimote support is just buggy and/or largely incomplete. Perhaps the wiimote can retain connection but can't actually do anything yet, so there's no point turning on that piece of code.

That would be very bad. Without that we wouldn't be able to play gamecube games on the Wii U.
Dont worry, as stated a post ago tueidj HATES the gamecube controller with a passion - my guess is that he either grew up with the SNES layout and/or he finds that tiny dpad impossible to use.

Alternatively, maybe he was a hardcore player of PSO on the Dreamcast and never actually owned a modem and/or broadband adapter for the GameCube, so Devolution was his method of being able to enjoy it via the wifi. This could mean he played PSO on Dreamcast for quite a while since he couldn't go online with the GameCube PSO, and therefore got very used to the Dreamcast button arrangement. This in tern may lead him to raging at the GCN button layout for PSO since the DC button layout is so ingrained into him for anything PSO.

Alternatively, maybe tueidj never actually owned a GameCube and owned a PS2 and/or Xbox instead? Therefore it's very possible that he played PSO with an Xbox controller which could be causing his GCN-pad rage.

Either way, this would be very similar to how many Smash Bros. tourney players are pretty much married to the GameCube controller.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France

jill190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's for verification of the .dvv files.
Not true and easily debunkable:
- Create a NAND backup
- Verify a new game
- Restore NAND backup
- Observe Devolution is still able to boot the game without requiring verification.

If you want more proof: create another NAND backup after verifying the new game (before restoring the old one), decrypt both NAND backups in their entirety (including unallocated space) and do a binary compare. None of the found differences will have anything to do with Devolution.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I had a look at the software, and I must say, please keep your devo out of my NAND! Thank you!
It shouldn't get in your NAND, actually.
did I miss something?
Nope you did not...as you can read from above posts..and even if it did...Tueidj is a great coder so i trust him with this..
Also other homebrew, IOS/cIOS and softmodding a wii requires NAND access...so what's the big deal?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2