Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Joel Schmidt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still haven't had a good chance to look at this but ...Just in case he's still lurking and not logging in, it's not a BAD idea either.
For the rest of us, I'm sure we could at least look at it and figure out if it's actually getting past the sample loader or not ... although maybe not much more than that.

What version(s) did you test the plug in with? 4.0.2 gives a horrendous code dump, 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 work fine and 4.1 just dumps back to the health warning screen.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What version(s) did you test the plug in with? 4.0.2 gives a horrendous code dump, 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 work fine and 4.1 just dumps back to the health warning screen.
It was at LEAST 4.1 but I don't remember if I updated to something newer than that. I'll have to check when I get back to my Wii again.

4K_future

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
He's busy. ;)
Define "contributes". He made a new release on December 19th even though he last posted in October.

The author does not post here any more and I have a question which they may wish to answer.

The question is : If there is to be a version of Devolution catered to the three wii (latest retail wii/mini/wiiU) models that do not have GameCube controller ports what form will user input take.

Will it be through a GameCube to USB PC adaptor or Classic Controller and the like connected to wii remote or some other way.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I'm, of course, not the author but I do know that classic controller support is one of the planned features (so that would probably be the "how" part) and he has already posted a video boasting it's ability to run on a Wii U as well as kinda mentioned devolution as the solution to the "latest retail wii" and it's lack of gamecube ports when he announced the project so I'm hopeful. (the mini, without an SD port, is practically unhackable so I don't think that one counts.)

There isn't a version YET, but it seems likely that there WILL be.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Where can I found the latest version of devolution? Because I don't think the r159 on the first page is the last one.
The link on the first page will always give you the latest revision, regardless of what the post says the revision is. It is a statically named file ("gc_devo.zip"), so the latest revision will ALWAYS be available from that same URL. (i.e. the file name doesn't change with revisions [e.g. "gc_devo_r159.zip", "gc_devo_r160.zip"], so the same link will always give the latest one)

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody know of anymore Gamecube 1:1 rippers to Hdd? I ask cuz CleanRip isn't wanting to finish some of my game rips and looking for an alternative ripping method so when I run into this problem I got a solid backup plan.

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply E, but how exactly do I get Wiiflow to do it? I know it comes up when you need to select a partiton but other then that I don't know how else to bring it up..

edit: If I need too I will move this question to the Wiiflow thread so we don't get off topic here just to be safe.

tigyi

DayDreamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey - I just signed up to say (because I couldn't find this comment searching the web or this forum)

1) If you directly load into USB Loader GX using an "Installed File" in BootMii - Devolution doesn't work.
2) If you directly boot into Homebrew Channel using BootMii - Devolution WORKS

You have to boot USB Loader GX using the System menu (or Homebrew Channel) for Devolution booter to work with USB Loader GX

If you directly boot into USB Loader GX, you have to exit to the system menu (or Homebrew Channel), reload USB Loader GX, THEN launch your Devolution game.

Is there any way to boot directly into USB Loader GX and have Devolution working completely? Is it the USB Loader GX's .dol file at fault?... a mystery to me.

Thanks for reading! Perhaps this is an easy fix to accomplish? :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Devolution requires the AHBPROT flag to get hardware access, which is provided by the homebrew channel (<ahb_access/> in a meta.xml), or a channel launched from the system menu (If it has a specific bit in the tmd).
By launching Devolution from the homebrew channel, you can tell the homebrew channel to keep the current hardware access, allowing Devolution to work.
By launching another homebrew from the HBC, it can keep that hardware access too and pass it at his turn to another launched homebrew.

If you launch the USBloaderGX without the hardware access, it can't pass it to devolution as it doesn't have it.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody know of anymore Gamecube 1:1 rippers to Hdd? I ask cuz CleanRip isn't wanting to finish some of my game rips and looking for an alternative ripping method so when I run into this problem I got a solid backup plan.
Do you not own an at least 2GB USB drive or SD card? You can rip to that via CleanRip and then manually copy the ISO over to your HDD.

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you not own an at least 2GB USB drive or SD card? You can rip to that via CleanRip and then manually copy the ISO over to your HDD.
I will give that a try, but CleanRip isn't wanting to finish ripping a few of my GC games and I'm looking for an alternative way to rip my games. My games are clean too cuz I got them all resurfaced before I started ripping them to prevent any troubles just in case. Thanks for the suggestion Nintendo Maniac.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CleanRip isn't wanting to finish ripping a few of my GC games and I'm looking for an alternative way to rip my games
I was thinking this was due to your hard drive, not due to your disc drive and/or your discs themselves.

Also you could always try getting a copy of an ISO from elsewhere, such as via a friend or "yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee" which, if the moderators are fair (I've no opinion on this), should not be looked down upon since you still have to verify the ISO with your own copy of the game disc.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was thinking this was due to your hard drive, not due to your disc drive and/or your discs themselves.

Also you could always try getting a copy of an ISO from elsewhere, such as via a friend or "yar-har-fiddle-dee-dee" which, if the moderators are fair (I've no opinion on this), should not be looked down upon since you still have to verify the ISO with your own copy of the game disc.
I've seen moderators on this site openly recommend piracy in instances when the game isn't owned, I don't think they'll care much about what you said there.

(EDIT: For the record, some user asked for recommendations of DS homebrew games similar to a particular game; a moderator came into the thread and said words to the effect of "If you have the means to play a homebrew clone, you have the means to download a ROM of the official game and play it")

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have tried this already. For an example I'm having trouble with Paper Mario: TTYD & WaveRace:BS and I did download the proper NTSC iso then tried to verify it with my own copy but it just black screens on me the whole time. I don't see how it can be the hard drive cuz It's working on my other games as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum