Hacking Devolution - Public Release

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The AP is too stiff (read, inflexible). Its finicky about its images, and doesn't verify for all games. I don't understand exactly how it works (no one but the author and maybe a handful more do), but I don't see why it has to verify physical data between images. Couldn't it be enough that it checks the iso game ID verses the inserted disk game ID? This would allow for compression of images, as well as allowing the verification to be more flexible and bearable.
As I understand it, the verification works perfectly for anyone following the instructions, now that the bug with early buggy apploaders has been fixed. What you suggest would mean people could download an ISO of any random game, change the ID to the ID of a game they own, verify it with the one disc they happen to own, and then play any game they like having changed all their game IDs to the one of the disc they own.

EDIT: tueidj beat me to it

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then would anyone care to comment on this:

OK, So I just started futzing around with Devo. First of all, I had done all my rips in the DIOS-MIOS 2.0 days with USB Loader GX. Didn't use any compression or aligning options, just a straight up rip. I go to play Luigi's mansion. 2 flashes (ask for disk), insert disk, I hear the disc spin up. 5 flashes... pause... disc spins up again... 5 MORE flashes, game boots. I know its reading off the HDD image because I have a small LED on my HDD that flashes. That and the blue light flashes at the same time as the HDD LED.

So I take the disk out. I go to start a game and I get the usual "Memory Card Corrupted" type message. Whatevs, no big deal, not the current problem. I restart the wii (because it doesn't dump back to the loader for some reason). I try the same game again and its asks to verify again. Same process as above. I've gone through this 3 times and have had the same process repeat. What is going on with the verification? Why isn't it "sticking"?

As I understand it, devolution should not launch the backup from HDD unless it successfully verifies. Yet subsequent attempts to play after initial verification result in DEVO demanding another verification.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm also sure a lot of the bugs reported for DM/DML are caused by corrupt downloaded .isos and/or incorrectly compressed/scrubbed images, and a significant portion of my own games don't match the records on redump.org. Ensuring a 1:1 copy of the disc is used helps weed out these issues.
As I understand it, devolution should not launch the backup from HDD unless it successfully verifies. Yet subsequent attempts to play after initial verification result in DEVO demanding another verification.
That's correct. I assume you're not using the sample loader?

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not for this attempt, no. I have lots of GC games on my HDD, and it would be quite the pain to have to move them all to /games root in order to verify and then move them all back so that Wiiflow/GX can be used to launch them.

It would have been nice if the sample loader would search for ISO's recursively in the /games folder.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not for this attempt, no. I have lots of GC games on my HDD, and it would be quite the pain to have to move them all to /games root in order to verify and then move them all back so that Wiiflow/GX can be used to launch them.

It would have been nice if the sample loader would search for ISO's recursively in the /games folder.
Try moving just one ISO to the root of the /games folder and loading it with the sample loader, to see if the verification process all works properly that way. (i.e. try loading it with the disc in first time, then try without disc, still using sample loader).

If that works, it's a problem with WiiFlow. If not, it's a problem with Devolution, and logs would probably be useful to tueidj.

artlan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a issue earlier where the Devo loader worked perfectly - but any other loader (WiiFlow and CFG) were not keeping the verification (had to insert the disc each time).
Finally resolved it after a lot of things tried - but what I think did it in the end was updating from d2x v6 to d2x v9 on slots 249/250 w/ base 56/57 (used those from some other post a while back that I came across while searching)
After I did that, all the loaders I've tried have worked with the AP verification.
Note - I reserve the right to be 100% wrong :) I did try many other things in the process of debuging this, but that was the latest change I had made and now everything works.

crono141

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a issue earlier where the Devo loader worked perfectly - but any other loader (WiiFlow and CFG) were not keeping the verification (had to insert the disc each time).
Finally resolved it after a lot of things tried - but what I think did it in the end was updating from d2x v6 to d2x v9 on slots 249/250 w/ base 56/57 (used those from some other post a while back that I came across while searching)
After I did that, all the loaders I've tried have worked with the AP verification.
Note - I reserve the right to be 100% wrong :) I did try many other things in the process of debuging this, but that was the latest change I had made and now everything works.

This could be. I haven't updated those particular cIOS since around the time of the wiiflow mod split.

EDIT: Is there a quick way to get all the d2x slots updated? Or, if not, a guide of which specific ones need updating?

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't say it makes a lot of sense but who knows. I would have suspected the loader was doing something like deleting the /apps/gc_devo/ directory and recreating it from scratch each time instead of just making sure it already exists.

Benze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
thanks for this great loader, finally i can play my audio streaming games from usb. some of my games dont work though, here is my list:

Working:
Starfox Adventures
Mario Sunshine
Soul Calibur 2
Zelda Windwaker
Zelda Master Quest

Not properly Working:
Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex (Game runs too fast after title screen, but audio is correct) http://pastiebin.com/?page=p&id=5008377ca7575
Final Fantasy Crystal Cronicles (2D graphics are a mess, 3D ones are fine, audio completly broken) http://pastiebin.com/?page=p&id=5008380ecd052

I also have a few 2 disc games: Enter the Matrix, Tales of Symphonia and Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes. i know 2 disc games are not working yet, i just wanted to point out that even if i pick the second disk, the first disk is loaded, dont know if that is intended. Log from ToS: http://pastiebin.com/?page=p&id=5008390479ed7

All my isos are 1:1 dumps and match with redump, i also dumped the problem games twice. i never had a problem with the AP and i used r101 with the example loader. I hope i could help, keep up with the good work!

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same issue and I have a Wiikey. No easy way to disable unless you count removing it or corrupting it's firmware...

Do you guys have the first Wiikey? I also had issues with mine (Both my Wii's have them for the main purpose of playing Foreign games on my Wii) but I made sure 1.99Beta firmware was installed, disabled all features with config disc 1.4 (labeled as 1.9) by setting everything to off and then Devolution was able to back up my discs correctly... Test this and let us know!

Reactions: 1 person

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I also have a few 2 disc games: Enter the Matrix, Tales of Symphonia and Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes. i know 2 disc games are not working yet, i just wanted to point out that even if i pick the second disk, the first disk is loaded, dont know if that is intended. Log from ToS: http://pastiebin.com...d=5008390479ed7
Disc switching does work and it is intentional that disc 1 is always used to launch the game.

Benze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also have a few 2 disc games: Enter the Matrix, Tales of Symphonia and Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes. i know 2 disc games are not working yet, i just wanted to point out that even if i pick the second disk, the first disk is loaded, dont know if that is intended. Log from ToS: http://pastiebin.com...d=5008390479ed7
Disc switching does work and it is intentional that disc 1 is always used to launch the game.

Oh, nice to know. However MGS freezes at KONAMI, but that is a known issue if i remember correctly...

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Regardless if you are a fanboy or a hater, lets be honest for one minute, in its current state Devolution is just some sort of a "lite" version of DM (pun intended :P). Game compatibility is apparently not as good as DM's, there are texture issues, no video force options, no cheats(?). DV has audio streaming working but apparently this will not be a devolution exclusive feature anymore soon. BUT, here is the thing, it has potential to become great once the other promising features have been completed. Particulary I look forward to find out how well Wiimote support will work (especially with ego-shooters).

Reactions: 2 people

kamala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless if you are a fanboy or a hater, lets be honest for one minute, in its current state Devolution is just some sort of a "lite" version of DM (pun intended :P). Game compatibility is apparently not as good as DM's, there are texture issues, no video force options, no cheats(?). DV has audio streaming working but apparently this will not be a devolution exclusive feature anymore soon. BUT, here is the thing, it has potential to become great once the other promising features have been completed. Particulary I look forward to find out how well Wiimote support will work (especially with ego-shooters).
It is also very delicate. People shouldn't touch DVV's or the HDD in essence for any reason unless they want their discs re-verified :blink:

Jusgewnt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar There's no way to disable the wiikey without removing it (soldering it out). (saying that, it seems it has it's own rip feature built in (wiikey dvdDump), maybe that would be worth a test) still it seems very odd that 1 game is verified (Namely Mario ) and the rest are rejected.
dancemonkey I'll let you know if it works, with using the wiikey ripper (it would make sense if it compensates for the wiikey being present when ripping (if not I'd state that Devolution DRM is not compatible with, at least Wiikey installed drives)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Finally got Killer Instinct Gold running really well on the Pi 4