Devil survivor first screenshots

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Noitora, Nov 5, 2008.

Nov 5, 2008
  1. Noitora
    OP

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    "Atlus has released the first screenshots of Megami Ibunroku Devil Survivor for the Nintendo DS in the latest Famitsu magazine. This new SRPG scheduled for January 15 2009 in Japan is 90% complete.

- A team of students has to stop a countdown of 7 days in order to avoid Tokyo complete destruction.

- Players will be able to summon monsters with a special mobile app in the game.

- Kazuma Kaneko is doing monsters designs."

Screenshots

Source Gamekyo via Famitsu.

2. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    7 days... mobile phone... students.. twewy?

3. cosmo2389

Member cosmo2389 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Seconded!

4. Noitora
    OP

Greece
    I don't get you guys.

5. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    They are implying that this is a The World Ends With You rip-off....I'm hoping that this will be better than TWEWY, because I can't stand that game!

6. Noitora
    OP

Greece
    Yeah, I got that but an SRPG has nothing to do with The world ends with you...

7. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    It's still considered an RPG (not strategy)....but I really didn't like any part of that game, and I had no feeling like I'm playing RPG..

8. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    TWEWY was the first game I managed to play overnight. Seriously. I would sleep in the middle of other games.

9. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Well, it's probably because I'm an "old school" RPG fan, and I love turn based RPGs as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, so I guess I just can't "feel" TWEWY right..

I mean, even the art style....it disgust me..

10. psycoblaster

Korea, South
    I absolutely hate those turn based battles in rpgs.
    Move around in the map... 3 seconds and you encounter an enemy. Takes forever to kill.
    So move around the map again. 3 seconds of moving and you fight another.
    I just don't like it [​IMG]

11. Toni Plutonij

Croatia
    Yeah, that's my favorite..I don't even like hack/n/slash RPG that much.....I don't like button mashing..

But turn-base gives a game that feel that you can plan, and evolve strategy..I was so pissed when I heard that Dragon Quest IX will have real time battle, and now they decided to change it and bring back turn-based....I'm happy as little baby.....I'm guessing that it could be my favorite DS game when it comes out!

12. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Woot, I can't wait for this! These games always have really good character design IMO. (Among the other shitty anime character designs, these ones are better than most)

I found an article:
    "Scans of Megami Ibunroku: Devil Survivor are floating around. After seeing them I’m reminded of The World Ends With You. Atlus’ first DS game has teens in modern Tokyo banding together to save the world with in a seven day time limit. To be fair, Atlus made games set it modern Tokyo way, way before Square Enix and Jupiter did. So, don’t consider this a knock off - especially because Devil Survivor is a strategy RPG. You move hip looking teens on a grid and when you encounter an enemy the action switches into turn based RPG combat. Japan is on track to get Megami Ibunroku: Devil Summoner on January 15. Wow, that’s soon, but I think I’m going to hold off on importing. Atlus has been wildly successful with the Megaten franchise in North America recently and while we might not get Devil Summoner: Radiou vs. King Abbadon, Devil Survivor is a prime pick for localization in 2009. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor has a nice ring doesn’t it?"

13. Kawo

Member Kawo GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    Is a rip-off of TWEWY but with demon summon, not psi-power.

Note: TWEWY is a rip-off of Gantz.

14. SkyintheSea

Member SkyintheSea GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Toni I agree with you 100% about old school rpg's man. TWEWY, I didn't really feel that game at all and basically forced myself to play it. Hopefully the new Dragon Quest would be the shit. Either way this game looks great and can't wait to play it.

15. Mei-o

Member Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Japan
    But, but, but, I loved TWEWY! It was resh! It wasn't tedious! NO RANDOM ENCOUNTERS!

Anyway, kind of sucks...don't we already have enough SRPGs on the DS? And that silver guy looks very gay.

16. fateastray

Member fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Yeah, gay people in games, heaven forbid...Next thing you know, they go out in public too! [​IMG]

Ontopic: The games atmosphere looks pretty awesome, and so does the artwork. Atlus usually guarantees good games for the right people.

17. Noitora
    OP

Greece
  18. kazuki_pl

Member kazuki_pl GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    heh, new Megaten universe game :3 gotta buy NDS again xD thanks for screenies~

cheers~!

19. kikuchiyo

Member kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

United States
    Bwaha, in what sense is an S-RPG not an "old school" RPG? I argue (though I haven't sat down and played D&D my self) strategy RPGs better recreate that experience better than either Western or "Japanese" style RPGs. Wikipedia lists the first Western "tactical RPG" as 1985 in the U.S., 1988 in Japan. Even if you consider the real start of SRPGs in today's most conventional terms the original Fire Emblem came out for the Famicom in 1990.

People have different tastes, but if you're comparing "strategy," I'm playing DQ8 and FFTA-2 right now and the battles in DQ8 are easy button-mashing affairs compared to the thought one has to put into a decent S-RPG. Not to mention the S-RPGs where during a battle or whatever you more directly control the action (Namco x Capcom and the SD Gundam games come to mind).

No, there are not enough S-RPGs on the DS.

20. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    The art style kinda reminds me of this anime called Hitman Reborn. This is my second time in life seeing it.