Developing a Home Menu Auto Organizer

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheZGamer101, Jun 13, 2016.

1. TheZGamer101
    OP

TheZGamer101 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    United States
    I'm thinking of creating a App of some sort that automatically sorts your home menu for you and as well as later on developing a way to have your own custom home menu (not just theme) on your 3DS. I'd like to announce that I will start my own development but I don't know whether I'd get a lot of help or not since I'd need testers and developers to help me code the homebrews I develop. So with that I ask for your guy's input to see if it is possible as well as for your help. :)

2. Returnofganon

Returnofganon I pretend like I know what I'm talking about

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    That sounds like a good idea I would love to try that out if you could get it working

3. ThePanchamBros

ThePanchamBros Hates the Undertale Fandom

Jan 31, 2016
    United States
    Under your bed ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I would be willing to test it

4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I have a9lh and would love to have something to organize my home menu. I could definitely help test it. Just as a question what is your plan for how it operates (will it run from HBL as a .3dsx, or .cia, or maybe .bin for loading a custom home menu on boot with a9lh)?

5. CheatFreak47

CheatFreak47 Complex Donut

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Probably the most effective way to go about this, to start with would be to start somewhere we know.

Presumably the saved home menu layout extdata, and follow it up by finding a way to take said extdata apart and re-arrange it based on user preference, and put it together in a way that the home menu can interpret.

But to do this would require some substantial RE'ing of the how the home menu stores and parses that extdata so we can generate something it understands. (Similar to what we've done with the home menu theme extdata and tools like CHMM2, which wholesale just generate new extdata for the home menu to read from)

I'm not sure if there's any available information on this over on 3Dbrew but that'd be a good place to start, I suppose.

I would like to see something like this come to fruition, but I'm always weary of people making threads that only have 15 posts talking about developing a new project.

Kyouken likes this.
  6. TheZGamer101
    OP

TheZGamer101 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    United States
    I would do a .bin for the custom Home menu so that it could overwrite the stock one and perhaps even (possibly) toggle between the two

7. TheZGamer101
    OP

TheZGamer101 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    United States
    "Originally Home Menu mounted sdmc in main(), starting(?) with 6.0.0-11Home Menu" Perhaps I could code a binary that could revert it back to mounting main as this would allow it to read all the data on the Sd card rather than just Extdata as well or I could encrypt a binary and encrypt it as a replacement for the original Home Menu's Extdata and however my only concern is the kernel access I might require

8. TheTrueDream42

TheTrueDream42 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2015
    United States
    The 3ds already has a save/load layout option if that is something that you are working on, but a way to extract the home layout to backup or share or whatever would be nice.

9. ShiftCode

ShiftCode Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2016
    Australia
    Great Idea! Looking forward to it.

10. runetoonxx2

runetoonxx2 GBATemp's Cancer

Jan 15, 2014
    United States
    The GBATemp
    I will help test too in I have this problem cause over 100 GamE's on SD :.