Developing 3DS Apps

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by nMM456, Jan 6, 2016.

1. nMM456
    OP

nMM456 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Hi all,

My friend and I have been interested in making a HBL app ever since it came out. We just don't know where and how the files are made, what coding it uses, etc. Does anyone know of a tutorial for making apps or can someone please make one?

Thanks for reading
    -nMM456

2. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    I'll tell you that you need a history of working with coding. You can't just jump in and do it. I'd say, learn up on some Python. It's a nifty way for making some simple brew. You'll also need to work with payloads. I don't know how to do it. But, I know you need to understand coding. Anyways, welcome to GBAtemp. :P

3. nMM456
    OP

nMM456 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Thank you for the fast and helpful response! I'll look into it :)

4. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    Dalvík, Iceland
    It'll take time to actually understand how to do all of it. But, just don't update your console. You'll find out that your HBL access is lost. Keep your console offline while testing it.

5. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Look at the Devkitpro's 3DS examples and find out how they work, and what bit does what.

cebolleto likes this.
  6. DesuIsSparta

DesuIsSparta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Weaboo land
    I don't believe that's true. You don't need a history of coding, nor would Python be worth learning in order to begin developing apps. Anyone can learn C/C++. really, all you have to do is just read. Without a history of programming at all, C gives you the best look at the fundamentals of programming. Because the language is 40+ years old and has the biggest community, you can google almost everything and just copy&paste if you're lazy. I've never developed homebrew myself, though I'm fairly certain you don't need to touch payloads in most cases.

https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Setting_up_Development_Environment

If you plan on developing apps straight out of the box, you'll need to know C/C++. If you plan to make something on the potion lib or whatever it is, its a bit different. The libraries you will use really depend on what you're developing. The majority of the time, you won't be able to use external libraries because they're just too large and your goal is to try to use everything that's offered by the console.

Last edited by DesuIsSparta, Jan 6, 2016
    thatbooisaspy likes this.
  7. Substance12

Substance12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2015
    Argentina
    To program for 3DS, you need to program with C/C++ (using ctrulib and devkitPRO) or Lua (using LÖVEPotion or lpp-3ds).