"desqueezing" textures?

pocari

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
When I rip textures from video games they're obviously square images, is there any accurate method to desqueeze or unstretch them to make them appear more accurate to what they look like in-game?

Previously I've just eyeballed it but the knowledge of them not being perfect bugs me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
? You also rip the model(s) the textures apply to and put it on that. Some modern texture types will include depth data as well to simplify the underlying models but that is neither here nor there.

pocari

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thank you for the response, sadly I don't have any knowledge about 3D or how I would even go about ripping the models out of games so most of, if not everything you said went above my head. Perhaps I'm too smooth-brained for all this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Diving right into ripping 3d models (which would include textures and likely animations as well) is going to be a rather steep learning curve, even more so if this is some unknown game on a console or something compared to a PC game using a known format.
That said textures without 3d models is not pointless (you could edit the texture while knowing what the result will look like in your head as it were* and import that back into the base game you ripped it from) but limiting enough that whatever guide you were learning from the rip textures should include some basics on 3d models as well.

*you were effectively doing a variation on this when you made the 2d texture resemble some projection of the 3d model by yourself/your imagination. Texture wrapping if you wanted a search for there, and indeed texture unwrapping as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse