Hacking Desperate help with DS Lite

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm new to this forum and would like a little bit of the forum's knowledge.

I want to buy a chipped Nintendo DS Lite.

First of all, I know I need a slot-1 flash card for DS and slot-2 flash card for GBA games. I am certain I will be playing GBA games. So I would like to know, do I need anything else? any PassME keys? Any writers, readers, anything? Or just a slot-1 and slot-2 card, and I insert my MicroSD card with the appropriate games into the appropriate flash card? E.g. GBA on slot-2 and DS on slot-2.

Second, chipped pack comes with N5. Is it ok for me to buy another Flash card and replace the N5 for my DS Lite before even OPENING the DS? I don't want the risk of having the N5 brick it. So if I change the flash card (probably to DSTT) for the DS before I even open it, will this eliminate the risk of the N5 bricking it? Remember, it's a chipped pack coming with N5.

Will update if have more questions.

Thank you.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Hold on a second; there is no such thing as a chipped DS. It sounds like someone's having you on...

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All you need to run backups or homebrew on a DS/ DS Lite is a Flashcart. No internal modifications, just a flashcart. For DS games, either a Slot-1 or Slot-2 card, for GBA games, a Slot-2 is *needed*.

The N5 is a shoddy, poor quality clone of the now-redunndant and unsupported R4 card. All good Slot-1 (DS Game Card) flashcarts support SDHC technology (the R4 doesn't, and the N5 only does because a SDHC microsd read chip was bodged in as a replacement for an R4 equivelant SD one). Slot-2 (GBA port) carts are now only really used as expansion packs, unless it's for a GBA not a DS.

There is no such thing as a "chipped" DS. And DS/DS Lite can use any flashcart.

(N5 is *totally* not worth getting, as it *is* poor quality, and there is anecdotal evidence that is blows DS fuses. The DSTT is fine, but there are so many clones and fakes which are potentially just as bad as the N5 it's in your interests to fork out a few more $/£ to get a top-notch flashcart. Remember, it's false economy to spend $6 on a flashcart which is OK, or dies quickly, or even causes damage; it's much wiser to spend $15-40 on a flashcart which has more functionality/compatibility/support which is of much higher build quality, which you will not need to replace, and which you will be a LOT more satisfied with)
The best solutions for maximum compatibility/functionality consist of a decent not-clone(d) Slot-1 card (examples: Acekard 2, CycloDS, EZ-Flash V Plus, M3DS Real, Supercard DS ONE) and a Slot-2 Expansion (EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 for most flashcarts, but the M3 Expansion is recommended if you use an M3 DS Real).

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Another thing, look at this picture:

http://www.letsgomobile.org/images/news/ki...2gb_microsd.jpg

The one on the left is the MicroSD, correct? On the right is the SD card/flash cart, right? It says on it adapter, which is quite confusing. The card on the right, is this the card you insert your MicroSD card into after you've loaded it with games?

I.E., is the card on the right the SD/flash cart?

Edit: by the way, do normal flash cart sets, like DSTT, come with a MicroSD? I read somewhere DSTT comes with GBA expansion, is this true? And is the expansion a slot-2 card?

ShaneC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linguistically said:
Another thing, look at this picture:

http://www.letsgomobile.org/images/news/ki...2gb_microsd.jpg

The one on the left is the MicroSD, correct? On the right is the SD card/flash cart, right? It says on it adapter, which is quite confusing. The card on the right, is this the card you insert your MicroSD card into after you've loaded it with games?

I.E., is the card on the right the SD/flash cart?

Edit: by the way, do normal flash cart sets, like DSTT, come with a MicroSD? I read somewhere DSTT comes with GBA expansion, is this true? And is the expansion a slot-2 card?

On the left is a MicroSD card, on the right is a microSD to (full size) SD adapter.

Some places sell Flashcarts bundled with a microSD card, but it may be cheaper in the long run to buy the microSD card separately.

For example, I ordered a 4gig microSD card and an AceKard from Focalprice for like $22(USD) shipped. The AceKard came with a USB adapter for the SD card (I've heard these readers are of questionable quality, however mine works perfectly - YMMV)

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Brian117 said:
I stand corrected
smile.gif
(I know it won't help with running backups in general but even so, I'd never seen one before so I'll admit I was wrong on that one.)

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh ok, thanks. My relative just got a new camera and got a SDHC (which is another name of a microSD) and an SD card. MicroSDs are meant to go inside an SD, and on the net they've looked small, however, his SD and SDHC were fairly the same size.

And may I ask, what's a MicroSD Adapter for?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.