Desktop Internet issues

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Ryukouki, Jun 17, 2010.

Jun 17, 2010

Desktop Internet issues by Ryukouki at 11:50 PM (592 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Ryukouki
    OP

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    Well, my wireless router works perfectly fine. It's a Linksys one. I have strong signal on my laptop, my bro's desktop. My parent's computer is strange. My dad's acc works fine, mine works fine. My mom's does not. It gets acquiring ip address error and I don't know what to do. I ran malwarebytes to get rid of malware but the issue comes back! I ran the netsh winsock reset command on the cmd and it still isn't working. WHat can I do?

2. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    have your tried power cycling the router? also check to see if account in question has a dynamic or static IP, routers are weird things, if all else fails just re add her to the ACL

3. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Try opening the command prompt on your computer and typing:

"ipconfig /release" (obviously press enter)

Then once it's done doing it's thing type:

"ipconfig /renew"

It sounds like it's more of a problem with her adapter/connection, and this is a general remedy for most adapter problems. If it persists try running a hardware diagnostic to see if everything is running as it should be.

4. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom

I dont think it is the adapter because as the OP says, 2 out of 3 accounts work on the same PC, if the adapter is at fault then neither account would get an IP, I have had this before on windows based machine and from what I recall I had to just re-setup the computer on the ACL, reboot a few times and it worked, if it was an IP conflict issue, then possibly I am pretty sure you would get a little popup saying about an Ip conflict, if the computer failed to obtain an IP then the router would not be reachable for instance 169.*.*.*

but from the OPs first post the computer says obtaining IP address, so maybe what the computer is doing is talking to the router, trying to get an IP, and something on the ACL is refusing that account from getting an IP.

check to see if there is something weird in the network settings for the IP and subnet mask
    usually for a router the default IP address (dynamic) is 192.169.*.* or 10.1.*.* on most routers but in some cases they might be 172 or something.
    subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0 for a normal natted home account.

hope this helps