Deleting the Secure Value in 9.5 or 9.9

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ArmoredGuns1, Sep 1, 2015.

1. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

ArmoredGuns1 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Hello gentlemen, is there currently a way of deleting the secure value in any of these firmwares? Yes, I dumbly screwed up with the newly released Save Manager. After I sucessfully imported a modified save file of Pokemon Omega Ruby, I saved in my game and imported the modified save file again with some other changes. After that, the game shows up a message saying that the save data is not compatible.

Then I researched and came to the conclusion that if I want to modify my save, it should always be from the most recent backup. I never needed to do this using the Ramsav method, so I made this mistake.

So, is there any way to delete the secure value in these versions? I know savedatafiler only works in 9.2 and below. If someone can dig up the source code of Save Manager and implement this option, it would be immensely appreciated! I know it's easier said than done, but it will help lots of users that are also in my situation. It would also allow for saves to be shared over the internet, so it would be pretty nice!

2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    I need to know this as well, because I accidentally blocked myself from my old Animal Crossing: New Leaf town. It's simply a folder on my desktop, and I can't restore it. Using a digital copy.

Is it actually possible without a kernel exploit though? I get the feeling it's not the game that chooses this, but I hope I'm wrong.

3. ProNiteBite

ProNiteBite Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I'm not sure, seems interesting though!

Last edited by ProNiteBite, Sep 2, 2015
  4. suloku

suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    Getting the secure value from nand might not be possibl I don't really know), but getting it from the most recent savegame definitely is. It's just that each game stores it in a different place, so a list should be done.

The secure value location for smash bros is known for example (or soemeone at least said so in the savemanager thread)

Edit: here's the post about amash's secure value
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/save-dat...irmware-up-to-9-9.396245/page-11#post-5646042

Last edited by suloku, Sep 2, 2015
  5. marc_max

marc_max GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 19, 2008
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf stores it in its first 8 bytes IIRC. So yes, you may be able to retrieve the NAND secure value from the most recent savegame and restore your old one by replacing the needed bytes in their specific location.

6. DarkenedMatter

DarkenedMatter GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2013
    United States

I have the same issue. A user on reddit posted a fix but I had issues at first.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimalCros..._cannot_use_save_data_because_it_was_not_the/

Posted a link in case you can follow it and fix it. I fixed my save this way.

Last edited by DarkenedMatter, Sep 2, 2015
    NotABot and ihaveamac like this.
  7. I_AM_L_FORCE

I_AM_L_FORCE Unban me from Discord

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Do you have a sky3ds/cartridge version of the same game?

8. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    That seems like a very interesting solution! I hope someone can come up with a similar one regarding to Pokemon Omega Ruby.

I don't have Sky3DS, but I have a cartridge version of the same game.

9. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Perfect, and do you have the main file of the save you want to restore?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You could lose the save on the cartridge btw

10. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Yeah, I have the main of the save file I want to restore. But wouldn't importing this save to a physical cartridge also cause a "data not compatible" error?

11. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    No, because the cartridge version doesn't have the same amount of checks.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So import the save into the cartridge version. Boot up the cart and just save. Then use Nintendo's Save Data Transfer Tool and you should be good :)

12. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    i hope sdm is updated so it auto patches every save file you inject with the bytes of the current save file

13. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    did it work?

14. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Is it 100% safe to do this? Because I'm afraid to risk the save of my cartridge version =(.

What I plan to do is to back up the save of the cartridge, import the save of the digital version onto the cartridge, do the Save Data Transfer thing and then import the save of the cartridge again.

15. curley12

curley12 Mr.Awesome

Dec 24, 2012
    Somewhere
    Restoring to cartridge works but dont boot the game before reinjecting the save and its totally fine tested it with Pokemon AS

16. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Thanks for the advice! I'll man up and do it then!

17. suloku

suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 28, 2008
  18. ihaveamac
    This message by ihaveamac has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Sep 3, 2015, Reason: Deleted at poster's request.
    Sep 2, 2015
  19. ArmoredGuns1
    OP

Sep 27, 2007
    United States
    Everything worked correctly! Thanks A LOT Luke!!

By the way, I had to boot up the cartridge after I used the Save Data Transfer tool. It wouldn't let me import because it didn't have a save file. I just started a new game, saved as soon as I could, and imported the old save without problems. Thanks guys!

20. yodamerlin

yodamerlin Bok bok.

Apr 1, 2014
    Could someone make a list of all the known locations of Secret Values?

21. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Haha I did the EXACT same thing as you and due to my panic to try to fix it this method was born, you're welcome dude :)