Decoding RSEQ files

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Aikku, Jul 6, 2010.

Jul 6, 2010

Decoding RSEQ files by Aikku at 4:12 PM (1,884 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Aikku
    OP

Newcomer Aikku Newbie

Australia
    Hullo.

So since I lost all my data, I decided that instead of trying to work out every note by ear (which I've done a lot in the past), I'll get songs from their sources by extracting the RSEQ file and converting to Midi or something.

That said, I'm starting to write an RSEQ decoding tool... but have a tiny problem, which other might know about.
    When there's a multi-track command, it is then followed by {unknown[2], 0x88, track_number, offset[3]} struct[trackCount]
    However, the offset can't simply be offset+nOffset as for SSEQ files as I've inspected the data and it doesn't work out right [ie. lands in the middle of note-on events from the looks of it].

Does anyone know how absolute offsets are calculated?

2. Aikku
    OP

Newcomer Aikku Newbie

Australia
    Nvm, turns out that I forgot to add the first RSEQ header before anything *shrug*
    But so far, it seems to be working. *adds Midi data stream -> midi file*

3. Aikku
    OP

Newcomer Aikku Newbie

Australia
    Well, the converter is ALMOST done. Just need to figure out a few bugs that screw up the delta timing.

Demo: Linky

4. Aikku
    OP

Newcomer Aikku Newbie

Australia
    Well, the converter in and out of itself seems to be working perfectly... except for one bug: I can't seem to figure out how to get the right delta timing so that's screwing me up. As soon as I get that done I'll up load binary+source.

New demo: Linky
    [Yes, these are from Final Fantasy IV: The After Years. For some reason, the guys over at Square like placing their Midis a full octave lower, so if you want to hear it properly, transpose up 12 semitones]

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Thank you for your work on it [​IMG]
    it's always great to have tools like this.

6. Aikku
    OP

Newcomer Aikku Newbie

Australia
    *nod nod*

Anyway, I'm still having trouble with this tool so... Does anyone here know/have experience with Sappy/M4A and/or SSEQ files? Delta timing is the only problem I have AFAIK, and once that's done... yeah.

EDIT:
    Well, that's fixed, but a few files turn out funny. Either way, here's the tool+src
    Linky(includes demo RSEQ that works particularly well, despite lack of drumless channel 10)

EDIT2:
    Turns out that I had merely forgotten to add a few commands. Most files now sound perfect, though still [minor] nasties of notes being held too long
    Linky

7. Kamek64

Newcomer Kamek64 Newbie

Netherlands
    Sorry for the huge bump but could you please update the links?