Hardware Dead pixel on my 3DS?

jumpman1229

SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was playing some Starfox 64 3DS when I looked closely on my top screen and saw a black dot. I immediately thought it was no biggie, just a spec of dust. So I tried to wipe it off and nothing. I believe it's actually a dead or stuck pixel. This is quite strange because I have barely used my 3DS. Maybe a total of 100 hours have been played on it. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm quite disappointed that this happened with barely any use

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
So I was playing some Starfox 64 3DS when I looked closely on my top screen and saw a black dot. I immediately thought it was no biggie, just a spec of dust. So I tried to wipe it off and nothing. I believe it's actually a dead or stuck pixel. This is quite strange because I have barely used my 3DS. Maybe a total of 100 hours have been played on it. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm quite disappointed that this happened with barely any use
Don't even try. Take it back to the store if possible, else hit Nintendo up for a repair order.

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dead pixels are hard to fix

try playing this via you 3ds
if not im out of ideas

pdc_pixelfixer.gif

jumpman1229

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't even try. Take it back to the store if possible, else hit Nintendo up for a repair order.

The thing is I got this as a gift back on Christmas of 2011 =/

dead pixels are hard to fix

try playing this via you 3ds
if not im out of ideas

pdc_pixelfixer.gif

Cool! Gonna give that a shot now!

Paszq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem with my 3DS, but this was 2 weeks after buying. They gave me a new one in the shop, no Nintendo repair needed.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If it's still under warranty, you should be able to take it back to the seller and get it traded in.

BUT they won't let you do a System Transfer. I had a similar experience shy over a year ago where I had to swap my launch 3DS out with a new one. I had to transfer it to my sister's 3DS (she gave me permission) and transfer it back to the new 3DS.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That image does look like a dead pixel. The animated GIF posted above should be run for at least 24-48 hrs to ensure you've given it a fair chance at working, but other than that there's not much you can do. I have heard something about rubbing the screen hard (not too hard though) while you turn the device on but I wouldn't recommend this (that was for PC monitors but I assume it works on other devices too)

If it's still under warranty, you should be able to take it back to the seller and get it traded in.

BUT they won't let you do a System Transfer. I had a similar experience shy over a year ago where I had to swap my launch 3DS out with a new one. I had to transfer it to my sister's 3DS (she gave me permission) and transfer it back to the new 3DS.
Really? They gave me the opportunity to do this in the shop!
It obviously depends on the store.

jumpman1229

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that the warranty has expired. Apparently through the Nintendo repair shop online, it will be $85 not including shipping and tax -___-

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that the warranty has expired. Apparently through the Nintendo repair shop online, it will be $85 not including shipping and tax -___-
At that price, you'd probably be better off selling it to someone who doesn't mind/wants to try and fix the dead pixel, and just buy another one.

Reactions: fmkid

jumpman1229

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At that price, you'd probably be better off selling it to someone who doesn't mind/wants to try and fix the dead pixel, and just buy another one.

Yeah, I was thinking of just living with it at that price. I mean we are probably talking $100 after all repairs. Forget that!

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

or just buy a new console , do a system transfer ,then switch the back battery cover plates(the sn is only printed on the back cover), its only 4 screws, and return it
,profit
my 3ds has had a spot on the top screen since i bought it during ambassador ,but in my case its not a dead pixel just some dust or a smudge stuck between the inside of the screen

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There are several things you could do. Start off with the "Screen CPR" images with rapidly changing colours, then try to gently rub around the area of the pixel (preferably with a microfibre cloth to prevent scratching), if all else fails, gentle temperature treatment with a hairdryer is the last "fix" you could try in a home environment. That being said, you should be able to get a replacement screen from Nintendo so that's the route I'd go - attempting any physical repairs yourself without the necessary know-how might not only make the issue worse - you could end up breaking the system. ;)

jumpman1229

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or just buy a new console , do a system transfer ,then switch the back battery cover plates(the sn is only printed on the back cover), its only 4 screws, and return it
,profit
my 3ds has had a spot on the top screen since i bought it during ambassador ,but in my case its not a dead pixel just some dust or a smudge stuck between the inside of the screen
That might be a good idea. But isn't the serial number also found under settings?

There are several things you could do. Start off with the "Screen CPR" images with rapidly changing colours, then try to gently rub around the area of the pixel (preferably with a microfibre cloth to prevent scratching), if all else fails, gentle temperature treatment with a hairdryer is the last "fix" you could try in a home environment. That being said, you should be able to get a replacement screen from Nintendo so that's the route I'd go - attempting any physical repairs yourself without the necessary know-how might not only make the issue worse - you could end up breaking the system. ;)

I tried rubbing the screen gently with a microfiber cloth and that didn't do too much. I don't know how long I should be arousing the dead pixel with my touch. And I tried looking up those fast color changing "stuck pixel fix" videos but the 3DS won't load up any youtube videos

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might be a good idea. But isn't the serial number also found under settings?

I tried rubbing the screen gently with a microfiber cloth and that didn't do too much. I don't know how long I should be arousing the dead pixel with my touch. And I tried looking up those fast color changing "stuck pixel fix" videos but the 3DS won't load up any youtube videos

im not sure ,but the average wall mart employee are lucky if they can count to ten, nm go into 3ds settngs, i doubt anyone will check it

Reactions: jumpman1229

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...