Gaming ddr3 vs ddr4: how big is the difference between them??

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't 2.5 inch hard drives used in laptops? I thought you need 3.5 inch hard drives for desktops. You could buy plastic mounts for them as far as I know, so that must be why there's no compatibility issues. Though I may be wrong.

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
Aren't 2.5 inch hard drives used in laptops? I thought you need 3.5 inch hard drives for desktops. You could buy plastic mounts for them as far as I know, so that must be why there's no compatibility issues. Though I may be wrong.
I'm using laptop drives because they can fit in the node 202 and a 1tb ssd would be more money than all the parts combined... so $60 for a 1tb laptop drive is a great choice...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Aren't 2.5 inch hard drives used in lAaptops? I thought you need 3.5 inch hard drives for desktops. You could buy plastic mounts for them as far as I know, so that must be why there's no compatibility issues. Though I may be wrong.
There's no "rule" saying you need a 3.5" drive, and there's certainly no "compatibility" issues mount or no mount, you could leave the thing hanging in your case if you wanted to.

As to the OP's question, the difference is minuscule in all but the most RAM-heavy applications which, chances are, you're not going to be using. If you're trying to keep things on the cheaper side, stick with Haswell and DDR3 and you'll be fine.

DarkRioru

reach for the stars
OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
There's no "rule" saying you need a 3.5" drive, and there's certainly no "compatibility" issues mount or no mount, you could leave the thing hanging in your case if you wanted to.

As to the OP's question, the difference is minuscule in all but the most RAM-heavy applications which, chances are, you're not going to be using. If you're trying to keep things on the cheaper side, stick with Haswell and DDR3 and you'll be fine.
is something like adobe Photoshop/premiere ram heavy??

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They will munch through a lot, but I really doubt you will notice a speed difference when using them between ddr3 and 4.

I doubt you will see a noticible difference between 3 & 4 outside of anything except synthetic benchmarks.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
is something like adobe Photoshop/premiere ram heavy??
RAM heavy, yes, but not necessarily "speed" heavy if you're going to be using a standard HDD anyways, the speed differences between the two would be nonexistent. If you want to get the best use of photoshop/premiere, more RAM = better than more speed.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it worth considering upgrade potential as part of this? I know DDR3 is cheap right now but we said the same thing about DDR2 and then it stopped being made and now look how much a large number of gigs of high speed (even 1066), desktop or consumer laptop grade stuff will run you.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I read from somewhere that there isn't a big difference, from a youtube video i saw that a overclocked ddr4 can add some fps to games. Some people oc'ed till 3000 and added like 10 fps, watch yourself some videos. Of course if you know how to oc, messing up with mobo menu.
Mine is 2400 ddr4 but it stays at 2133 because my motherboard doesn't support overclocking, so yeah ddr4 can add some fps if overclocked.

Your pc build is great with a good ram ddr4, the brand is awesome. I have crucial ballistix sport 2400 8gb.

Last edited by RaMon90,

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Regarding the HDDs: if there's no real reason you need a 2.5" drive, I believe you can find 1TB 3.5" drives for a bit less than $60. I can't direct you to any American site, but here in Portugal, we can get them for around 35-40€, which would be just negligibly more in $.

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The difference is minimal, but so is the price really so personally I would just get DDR4 due to it being ever so slightly more future-proof.

As for the HDD thing - Normal desktop chassis tend to come with only 3.5", but the chassis DarkRiolu264 has chosen is a HTPC one which only comes with 2.5" ones due to a smaller form factor making the whole question a non-issue as 3.5" ones won't fit.

Reactions: migles

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
as tom a dildo said, there is no difference..
the only difference is RPM from what i had seen.. larger drives got a spinning of 7200 RPM while the smaller ones spin at 5400 (values can be wrong, theese are what i remember)
however i am not sure if the fact the large ones spin faster is doe the fact there is much more area in the cylinder (to sync inner ring speed with outter ring speed)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW, why we got GDDR5 on gpus but not for cpu?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
as tom a dildo said, there is no difference..
the only difference is RPM from what i had seen.. larger drives got a spinning of 7200 RPM while the smaller ones spin at 5400 (values can be wrong, theese are what i remember)
however i am not sure if the fact the large ones spin faster is doe the fact there is much more area in the cylinder (to sync inner ring speed with outter ring speed)
There are 5200/5400 RPM 3.5" HDDs as well as 10k RPM 2.5" drives, a drive's physical size doesn't really limit the rotation speed.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
There are 5200/5400 RPM 3.5" HDDs as well as 10k RPM 2.5" drives, a drive's physical size doesn't really limit the rotation speed.
thanks for clarifiying that, usually when shopping i never seen a 2.5' drive advertsided other than 5400 RPM
anyway, RPM as speed is misleading right?i seen not that old 7200 HHD drives running much slower than a laptop 5400 drive...

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
thanks for clarifiying that, usually when shopping i never seen a 2.5' drive advertsided other than 5400 RPM
anyway, RPM as speed is misleading right?i seen not that old 7200 HHD drives running much slower than a laptop 5400 drive...
You're right. RPM alone doesn't actually decide transfer speed, but it does affect random access times which tend to be slower on 5200/5400 RPM drives.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think adding 1 ssd would be the best for installing the o.s, that would be adding like 50$ extra depending the size and brand.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
how big is the speed gap between ddr3 and ddr4??? I'm building a pc and need to know the speed gap difference between these two ram formats

you guys can check out my planned build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LFHHqk
As a computer technician and regular PC builder, I'd like to give you some advice.

There is no real speed difference on the RAM form factors, at least not yet. With higher frequency comes higher latency. However, almost any Z170 motherboard (which you should get if you're using Intel and want to keep your future options open) is going to use DDR4. As far as picking RAM, the rule I use is latency/frequency. The lower the number, the better. You should also pay attention to reviews. It's never let me down.

Get a single ~240GB SSD for Windows though. You can install a few programs on it too, but for the most part just use it for Windows. It will make a huge difference. Stick with a SATA one though. The difference in AHCI vs NVMe isn't cost effective. Most people will tell you otherwise, but that's because they don't understand that what really matters is how fast it can read/write SMALL files. NVMe capable drives have lightning fast speeds for giant files, but the difference between reading/writing small files is minimal. Stay away from the brands PNY, Kingston, and SiliconPower. They're known to do bait-and-switches, sending you a drive that uses asynchronous NAND. That will give you about 30-50% less speed. This one is a good buy.

Your CPU is an excellent choice. It's got nearly the highest benchmark to price ratio of any consumer CPU. I don't recommend overclocking it right away though. If you do it wrong, you can take a few years off its life. The GPU is amazing too, although I personally would have gone with a 3GB one to save money. It may pay off in the future though.

Unless you plan to RAID0 those hard drives (which I strongly advise against if you don't have a backup drive), you should consider switching to a single 2TB drive, simply to improve airflow. A cool PC is a faster PC. I can't find how many platters it has (fewer is better, and that's really the only thing that matters besides RPM), but the benchmarks are good. It's also got a 5 year warranty, which is a big improvement over the standard 1-2 year warranty.

On the power supply, you can save yourself some money by getting a semi-modular one. It's only $60 after a MIR. There's really no point in getting a fully modular one, since you're going to be plugging in those power cables anyway. It will help make up for the cost of a SSD.

Hope you found this helpful :)

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more